• 5(current)
[LINUX] XBMC Setup Script - Automatic installation of XBMC for Linux
Quote:What would be the best way to now update to a newer version of xbmc? I have some trouble with SVN repo and youtube script (plays at 2x speed)
Follow the steps in the guide to upgrade to svn.
This is awesome!!! thank you so much. this has made my life so much easier!!
THANKS, keep up the good work
Could you create an option where only PM3-HD gets installed and the other skins can be chosen later? It's a waste of space and time downloading all the available skins that not many people will use (most will convert to Aeon or MediaStream mods).

Thanks for making this script. It helps when you have rebuilt your Revo a few times and cbf doing everything line by line each time.
vikjon0 Wrote:I am not sure it is the best solution to run this script on a Gnome/GDM installation.
At least take care that you have not let gnome install a NVIDIA driver before you run the script as some people seem to have done.

As long as you disable the nvidia PPAs it runs fine. I am of the opinion that the nvidia PPAs should be disabled by default, since they appear to be from the time that there was no official binary driver with working VDPAU. But today it appears the only tangible thing they bring over the official drivers is incompatibility for the people that has ever tried both (please correct me if I am wrong). I think no inexperienced user should ever try them, at least not until they give some clear advantage over the official drivers.

vikjon0 Wrote:There at least two better ways to combine a desktop with xbmc

Could you elaborate a bit more about this?

What I would like to have is an installation that boots into XBMC without gdm (so it is fast) but that when I choose "terminate xbmc" instead of "shutdown" or "reboot" (or xbmc fails) it gives an standard gdm environment to configure things or whatever. Right now what I have is a standard gdm (so it boots real slow) that starts full screen xbmc, so I have gdm when I stop xbmc or it fails... is not the best solution but is good enough until I find how to get what I want.
Quote:t appears the only tangible thing they bring over the official drivers is incompatibility for the people that has ever tried both (please correct me if I am wrong). I think no inexperienced user should ever try them, at least not until they give some clear advantage over the official drivers.
No, I think you are right and I am running the 180 version my self now.
What you are missing is that if you are installing according to this guide you are installing a minimal ubuntu and then you will not have any drivers installed.
What you need is a separate script for ubuntu desktop.
An alternative is that the script adds the driver from the ubuntu repositry instead of course.
Nevermind, it is not my guide or scriptSmile
Quote:Could you elaborate a bit more about this?

What I would like to have is an installation that boots into XBMC without gdm (so it is fast) but that when I choose "terminate xbmc" instead of "shutdown" or "reboot" (or xbmc fails) it gives an standard gdm environment to configure things or whatever. Right now what I have is a standard gdm (so it boots real slow) that starts full screen xbmc, so I have gdm when I stop xbmc or it fails... is not the best solution but is good enough until I find how to get what I want.

My view is that there is two good options (or 3, you can of course run in the desktop like you do now). What I do not recommend is to combine the GDM with the live/xbmcbuntu autostart (included in this script). From what you write I gather that the autostart does not work this way anyway? BTW the GDM is not the desktop, it is the display manager.
Instead I would:
1) Run xbmc in the xbmc-session. (install xbmc-standalone and you will get a new option in GDM. Logout, F10, select xbmc, login. This way you run xbmc with GDM but without the desktop. Exit xbmc and you can login to gnome instead.) The overhead from GDM is not an issue on asrock ION 330 (2G).
2) Install xbmcbuntu/live. If you drop to command line or start in safe mode and type startx you will start a windowmanager that you can add any applications you like to. If you are not hard core you probably want to add gnome instead of fluxbox (sudo apt-get install gnome-core) and some other stuff but not GDM. The only bad thing is that without amendment to the start script exit xbmc will not return to command line cleanly. This can be fixed but is not an issue for me since I only use the desktop remotly via NX server from my laptop.
kees667 Wrote:What would be the best way to now update to a newer version of xbmc? I have some trouble with SVN repo and youtube script (plays at 2x speed)

I have upgraded to the latest SVN and now I have the same problem when playing mkv's. They are playing at double speed (50/60fps).
I have latest stable, which is pretty old. Only youtube is 2x speed. All movies are fine.

Still interested to know how to post a decent debug. Do I need to edit advancedsettings.xml manually?

I enabled debug log (verified working due to all kind of stats in screen) but that doesnt work obviously (for me).

nhterra Wrote:I have upgraded to the latest SVN and now I have the same problem when playing mkv's. They are playing at double speed (50/60fps).
I just used this to install xbmc on my Asrock ION 330. I have a bluetooth dongle and a ps3 remote that I would like to get working.
I tried THIS guide but that only works in a full gui environment.
Can anyone give me tips on how to install bluetooth and pair the ps3 remote?

Thanks,

Dennis
Hello,

I have followed the install instructions exactly, and I get the 1080p/24hz option, however when I select it my tv does not say it is playing in 24hz. I have a zotac ion and play it via hdmi on my Sony Kds-60a3000. I can use the same hardware in windows and when I use 1920x1080@24hz the tv will correctly display 1080p/24. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

--I solved the issue, the log file stated the tv was reporting modes that contradicted themselves. Thus I used a modeline calculator to create one that worked, and now it is working perfectly and autoselecting the refresh correctly. In case anyone should need it, here it is:

Sony KDS-60A3000
Modeline "1920x1080@24" 60.28 1920 1952 2176 2208 1080 1105 1110 1135

Thank you for the great script!
I'm trying to test the script but there is a bug, I think:

cyberpark Wrote:[*]Log in with XBMC user account

When you install minimal ubuntu, there is no "xbmc user account". In the linked "install minimal ubuntu" section on http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMCbunt...nal_Ubuntu there is no xbmc user creation.
xbmc user account is only created at the last step when xbmc-live is installed. For the script to work you need to create the xbmc user account first.
wstewart Wrote:xbmc user account is only created at the last step when xbmc-live is installed. For the script to work you need to create the xbmc user account first.
So, the bug I was referring to is that that step is missing from the guide (that, or leaving out the indication that you should run the script as 'xbmc', I think that is not really necessary) . I am running now the script as root, and it seems to work but the keyserver.ubuntu.com server seems to be down. I installed the pgp keys manually from pgp.mit.edu and are right now running it again.

An improvement in the script could be to detect if the server is down and use another one as backup, as I did manually.
Yeah, but I think it is a little bit better to let the live script create the user as in the official guide.
From what I can see all you need to do it to move
Quote:## --[ INSTALLING XBMC HELPERS ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
apt-get install xbmc-live python-apt -y

so it is run before the installation of the repo.
Running as root should not work without this change I guess.
Quote:chown -R xbmc:xbmc "SVN Repo Installer"
This will fail.

You dont have to run as root...I create a normal admin user in the minimal setup and use that.
vikjon0 Wrote:You dont have to run as root...I create a normal admin user in the minimal setup and use that.

Running as root did not work (next reboot did not gave a working xbmc environment). But then, I connected as xbmc user (via SSH - local login was trying to run xbmc.bin and failing, I do not know why, maybe permissions), executed again the script and this time it worked (in fact, even the local session started xbmc while the ssh session was still running the script).

The first message in this thread says that the script works, but IMHO that is not really true, the people that has tested it did cheat somehow (for example, the script worked for me... when I executed it some days ago, but a modified version: I commented-out the installation of xbmc-live and the nvidia ppas, and executed xbmc from the automatic tasks in gdm). The steps and requirements simply cannot be met: step 2 is "login as xbmc", but that is not possible since step 1 does not create the user, and if you run it as *another* user (root in my case), it does not work (that was what I was trying to determine, because I know that the individual steps are correct in the adecuate environment... but NOT if you blindly follow the suggested steps in a "virgin" system). In my opinion, the script has a serious bug whose resolution is not at all trivial for the unexperienced user. If you run the script partially, knowing what you are doing and filling the gaps when needed, it works, but not for the novice user.
BTW, after (more or less) having successfully installed xbmc following the guide (with the previous caveats), I tried to upgrade xbmc as recommended:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc

The results are a complete disaster: xbmc tries to start but fails, and enters an infinite loop, even trying to shutdown from the computer keyboard is almost impossible since control-alt-F2 to open a local console gets incessantly stolen the focus but another session of xbmc that of course fails. From remote, I can of course shutdown, and even do tail -f .xsession-errors and see lots of lines like these:

Code:
Xsession: X session started for xbmc at Thu Sep 10 01:44:55 CEST 2009
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dbiplus::DbErrors'
Aborted

but for the novice user, this script is unacceptable, I think. It must be corrected or, at least, must give some warnings that you need to have a fair knowledge of linux and xbmc-linux and will probably need plenty of forum-surfing to get good results. The indications of the first post are completely misleading.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC Setup Script - Automatic installation of XBMC for Linux4