[question] could xbmc use an external python installation?
hi there,

first of all, i'm not a developer. i'm an ordinary xbmc user which encounters some trouble with recent addons to xbmc (like the weather com plus plugin and the "recently added" addon).

using windows 7, i've encountered random freezes which, when checking debug.log, seem to be python related. they have in common:

ERROR: CThread:ConfusedtaticThread : Access violation at 0x1e0ac802: Writing location 0x00000000

several ppl reported me they get the same error and freeze here and there.

now, i wonder if it would help to install a python environment on windows itself and have xbmc use that instead of the internal supplied python. just like the devs did for ffmpeg. maybe this would make python scripts running more stable on recent windows versions? when checking the python homepage, i also realised there are newer versions (2.62 and 3.1) than the one used by xbmc (2.4.5150.1012) which also have x64 binaries (not that i know if that helps anyway).

or when external support isn't doable, maybe we could just drop newer python related files into xbmc's python directory and benefit from their up-to-date status?

i don't know much about python, just want to find out what could be done to eliminate those freezes, so forgive me if i ask for something simply not doable at this time.. Rolleyes
cheers,azido :;):
That's unlikely to be of any use at all. XBMC requires it's own version of python to do what it does.

Detailing when the freezes occur and exactly what you're doing to invoke them might, however, help developers to track down the problem.

Please respect, though, that we do not support an operating system that has not even been released (and even when it is released, we can't support it unless one of us actually uses it!)

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Jmarshall you had a disussion in trac about python crashing when invoke from runscript many times. also related to two scripts running the same time.

in that ticket there is a work around that i have had in my source since i found it and the crashing has stopped.

i use windows 7 RC 7100 with no more issues than xp.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Yeah - that needs to go into SVN - thanks for the reminder. Still, it may not be what the user is experiencing above.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Yeah - that needs to go into SVN - thanks for the reminder. Still, it may not be what the user is experiencing above.

Cheers,
Jonathan

that's why i asked. i've also created a ticket ( #6979 ) with a full debug.log supplied of what's going on.

me and other users have in common we use the python related weather plus plugin and the recently added script, and experience crashes on random situations. tracked down a little more those crashes appear when one of the above scripts or both of them are running and we a) try to shutdown xbmc or b) use any function of the home screen while the output of one of them is displayed. random though.

i understand it's not a target to support a "non-released" os at given time; but i thought chances are we can find and eliminate the problem; also another user told me he had the same trouble using xp sp3, so my finding in it appearing on win 7 seems to show it just happens moreoften on that brand new os.

willing to tell me why xbmc needs exactly that version of python as a side note?

thanks for replying
There are special functions for handling various stuff in xbmc, like gui and players.
blittan Wrote:There are special functions for handling various stuff in xbmc, like gui and players.

you mean like added by the xbmc team and not being part of the regular python distribution?
Nuka1195 Wrote:Jmarshall you had a disussion in trac about python crashing when invoke from runscript many times. also related to two scripts running the same time.

in that ticket there is a work around that i have had in my source since i found it and the crashing has stopped.

i use windows 7 RC 7100 with no more issues than xp.

maybe that would be a first step in getting rid of the freezes Wink
azido Wrote:you mean like added by the xbmc team and not being part of the regular python distribution?

Yes..
azido, your issue will be solved by that patch. i had the exact same issue with the weather plugin and the recently added running at the same time.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Nuka1195 Wrote:azido, your issue will be solved by that patch. i had the exact same issue with the weather plugin and the recently added running at the same time.

sounds cool! hopefully it will be implemented in the near future.

@blittan: i understand. thanks.
mh..

Gryph Wrote:Would you believe it was fixed with compiling again and this time using the prefix "--enable-external-python" when doing ./configure

doesn't this stand in completely opposite to what you told me about xbmc needing it's very own python installation?

just curious..

edit: ok, drop that. the user himself right afterwards stated it only seemed to work on first place, but doesn't when really using the skin Wink
jmarshall Wrote:Yeah - that needs to go into SVN - thanks for the reminder. Still, it may not be what the user is experiencing above.

Cheers,
Jonathan

any news on the integration of that patch?

those freezes drive me insane.. Blush

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[question] could xbmc use an external python installation?0