Add to wiki ... Help Windows Users with better instructions
On this page:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Win...ecific_FAQ

Can a specific FAQ cover installing scripts/plugins/skins ?
I know this information is covered somewhat in #4 Where is user specific data stored? but I didn't look there because I wasn't looking to find where User Specific Data was stored, I was looking to install a script.

Two things might direct users more effectively (less annoying questions for Mods).

Change this:
# 4 Where is user specific data stored?
to this:
# 4 Where is user specific data stored? Where should I install plugins/scripts ?

or add:
#5 Where should I install plugins/scripts/skins ?

As well, I would fix this page.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ts_in_XBMC

It says
Code:
Finding and Adding Scripts

When you download and compile the XBMC SVN source code, there will already be some scripts inside of the scripts folder. [color=red]The scripts folder is located on your XBox where the XBMC Installation directory is[/color].

This is not correct for the default setup on Windows. The default install directory is c:\Program Files\XBMC and the scripts directory is located at
C:\Documents and Settings\"UserName"\Application Data\XBMC , where "UserName" is the Logon Name when you Log into windows.

To further reduce problems here, I would consider putting in a readme.txt by default in the c:\Program Files\XBMC\scripts\ directory which outlines this problem.

On top of that I would give users the Tip:

To find out what your "appdata" directory is Type this in the RUN: location.

explorer %appdata%

It will open up your current AppData directory. (see below)

Hope this helps !

(Give me wiki editing ability and I will do it myself.).

PM pike with your wiki username and he'll give you wiki edit status.

I'd go for a separate entry in the FAQ.

The tip regarding the explorer %appdata% (can you just type %appdata% into any explorer address bar?) should be added to the "where is my userdata location" as well.

Note that the entry for "where do I install scripts/plugins/skins" should be platform agnostic.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:can you just type %appdata% into any explorer address bar?

Yes
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
I PMed Pike for wiki access.

Thanks for your comments.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add to wiki ... Help Windows Users with better instructions0