[MAC] Is DTS audio output supposed to work in XBMC for Mac on PowerPC (PPC) CPU?
Question 
I just wanted to make sure that DTS audio is in fact supported on the Mac PPC version of XBMC. For me, AC3 works fine, but movies using DTS audio produce no audio whatsoever.

I've tried different settings (analog vs digital output, DTS supported receiver on and off, etc). But nothing works. DTS audio just doesn't play.

Is DTS audio supposed to work for the Mac PPC version of XBMC?

Thanks

--
Brett
Don't think that's something I've tried...
So can't say if the problem is DTS or something else. Will check when I'm back from vacation (end of august).

In the meantime, you could post a xbmc.log (pastebin).
Don't forget to enable debug logging in System settings.

Sorry I can't help more for now.
Question 
I'm using XBMC 9.11b1 and the problem still exists. Any files using DTS audio have no sound at all. I've tried multiple files with multiple options, but nothing helps.

I have posted my log file. I didn't know what parts were relevant so I posted the entire log. But it appears that line 633 of the log is where I began playing the video that uses DTS.

Any ideas?

Thanks

XBMC 9.11b1 (PPC)
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz
I tried a video with the following audio (reported by mediainfo) and it works fine...
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 3mn 19s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 754 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 24 bits
Video delay : 35ms
Stream size : 17.9 MiB (35%)

I'm gonna need a video that does not work to investigate.
Could you provide a sample?
xbmc.log: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I did some more testing and narrowed it down. The problem only occurs when using an MOV container.

If you watch a video with DTS in an MKV container, the audio works. If you convert the video to an MOV (just moving the H.264 and DTS streams rather than transcoding), the audio does not work anymore. No changes have been made to the audio or video streams, but if they are in an MOV container, there is simply no audio output.

Here is a sample using DTS in an MOV container. [50MB]

Thanks

XBMC 9.11b1
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz
Thanks for the sample and for narrowing it down!
This is not a ppc pb Wink

It's the same on intel. Actually, the problem comes from ffmpeg.
No sound in ffplay, VLC or mplayer.
Only works in quicktime with perian installed.

Thanks to davilla for pointing this out Smile

Will create a trac ticket so that this doesn't get lost.
Or you could do it if you have time Wink
Ticket 7956 created
Thanks for looking into this and filing a ticket! Smile
Fixed in r27378
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
what software allows you to mux dts in mov?
@476429, how are you making these mov's with DTS for audio ?
This is frustrating, its tempting to break it again just so we can find out what this file was created with. No reply to a PM either
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
Way-late bump here... I'm not the OP, but I have the same problem.

A .mov file with DTS can be created in OS X by opening an .mkv file with Quicktime Player Pro 7 and Perian, letting the file load completely, then from the Movie Properties window, extracting the elementary tracks and the using copy and Add To Movie and Save As to create a new .mov file with those tracks. No idea how to do all that on a Windows or Linux box, though.

Workflow:

Start: open .mvk with .264 video and .dts audio in Quicktime Player 7 (Perian must be installed).
Select Window > Show Movie Properties (requires Quicktime Pro, option not present in QT X).
In Movie Properites window, highlight video track then click on Extract. Video will open in new QT window.
Repeat the above for the DTS audio track, then select all and copy on the audio-only window that pops up.
Move focus to new ("Untitled") video window and Edit > Add To Movie (not Paste).
Save As a .mov file.

My understanding is that the lack of DTS playback is due to DTS-in-mov being a Perian hack that is not in the .mov spec, and isn't supported in playback by ffmpeg. Plex has the same issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Is DTS audio output supposed to work in XBMC for Mac on PowerPC (PPC) CPU?0