Standard definition TVs - modify skins' small font sizes and make them readable
For those of you still suffering 4:3 SD TVs and can't read the tiny fonts meant to be seen in high definition, I wrote a little script a year ago that allows modifying the font sizes of a skin by a certain amount.

Its a Python script that takes the Font.xml file as first argument and a number as second argument. This number can be positive, e.g. 10, or negative, e.g. -10. The script runs through the Font.xml file and modifies all the <size> tags by the amount specified.

Link
How to use the script:
1) unrar it somewhere (like your desktop)
2) copy "SkinName\720p\Font.xml" to "Desktop\xfontsize\Font.xml"
3) start -> run -> type cmd.exe -> click ok
4) type "cd Desktop\xfontsize" -> press enter
5) type "xfontsize Font.xml X" where X is the number you want to modify the fontsize by. It can be positive (increases size) or negative (decreases size). Example: xfontsize Font.xml 10 -> this will make all fonts 10pt bigger. xfontsize Font.xml -10 makes all fonts 10pt smaller.
6) Copy Font.xml back to SkinName\720p\ folder, overwriting the one that's there.

Source code:
Python script source - download this if you want to see the source code, or if you have the Python interpreter installed.
chapado Wrote:For those of you still suffering 4:3 SD TVs and can't read the tiny fonts meant to be seen in high definition, I wrote a little script a year ago that allows modifying the font sizes of a skin by a certain amount.

Its a Python script that takes the Font.xml file as first argument and a number as second argument. This number can be positive, e.g. 10, or negative, e.g. -10. The script runs through the Font.xml file and modifies all the <size> tags by the amount specified.

Link
How to use the script:
1) unrar it somewhere (like your desktop)
2) copy "SkinName\720p\Font.xml" to "Desktop\xfontsize\Font.xml"
3) start -> run -> type cmd.exe -> click ok
4) type "cd Desktop\xfontsize" -> press enter
5) type "xfontsize Font.xml X" where X is the number you want to modify the fontsize by. It can be positive (increases size) or negative (decreases size). Example: xfontsize Font.xml 10 -> this will make all fonts 10pt bigger. xfontsize Font.xml -10 makes all fonts 10pt smaller.
6) Copy Font.xml back to SkinName\720p\ folder, overwriting the one that's there.

Source code:
Python script source - download this if you want to see the source code, or if you have the Python interpreter installed.

I love XBMC in our home theater set up with 1080P on an LCD.

In another room, we have a old CRT color TV (Sharp 32 inch Circa 2002) which we use to watch when kids compete and displace us from there. It has Composite and S-Video inputs besides the standard cable coax.

I hooked up a ancient (1.2Mhz, 2GB, 80GB) Dell Laptop, fired up XBMC and hooked up the sound cables to my receiver and now I am thrilled to have great tool even in this room. We are kicked about the music much more than anything.

These two machines don't talk to each other but that is a project for another day.

I use XBMC Dharma B3 with Transparency (a skin that next best since the slice of bread!!).

I would love to make the fonts more readable and would love some guidance as I am noob.

Will this script work? I don't to break anything. Is there an advancedsettings for TV like this one which is perhaps 480i standard definition TV or may be even lower.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Anil Garg
agarg Wrote:I use XBMC Dharma B3 with Transparency

bigger font sizes are included in Transparency!

Settings > Appearance > Fonts
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:bigger font sizes are included in Transparency!

Settings > Appearance > Fonts

Thanks Ronie -- My HTPC is amazing and now I am setting up a laptop upstairs with a 32 inch CRT TV mainly as a combo for slideshow plus music. The sound is great and it looks fine but the names of music is hard to judge. I did try the big ones too.

If I make the menu wide, is there anyway a slightly more readable and bigger fonts can be added... Perhaps they can even be named like Fonts4SD.

Appreciate your guidance.

Anil
agarg Wrote:Thanks Ronie -- My HTPC is amazing and now I am setting up a laptop upstairs with a 32 inch CRT TV mainly as a combo for slideshow plus music. The sound is great and it looks fine but the names of music is hard to judge. I did try the big ones too.

If I make the menu wide, is there anyway a slightly more readable and bigger fonts can be added... Perhaps they can even be named like Fonts4SD.

Appreciate your guidance.

Anil

there are 6 combinations of fonts/sizes to pick from, Arial Big Bold being the biggest one.
i'm sorry but i'm not planning to add another one.

the Big/Bold fonts were provided to my be another CRT/SD user,
if they don't fit your needs, you can edit the font sizes yourself.

everything's defined in Fonts.xml, lookup the Arial Big Bold section (if that's what your using).
scroll down till you find the font used for the menu: <name>font-20bc</name> and adjust the <size> to your own liking.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
amazing!!!! this script is gorgeous! I use a small lcd 26" tv and some times I can not read quite good the info movies. Thank you so much!
I just wanted to say thanks for this useful tool!
i'm not planning to add another one.

จีคลับ

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Standard definition TVs - modify skins' small font sizes and make them readable1