XBMC Live keeps loading Vista instead of booting itself! (video & image included)
Question 
Hey all, having an extremely annoying problem here.

I have a USB stick I was hoping to use as my XBMC Live installation.. I have tried all 3 major methods for creating this stick:

-Booting the .iso in VirtualBox and Creating the USB Stick
-Using UNetBootIN to create the bootable USB stick using the .iso
-Creating the USB disk on Linux by running the ./XBMCFromIso.sh script including with the ISO.

All 3 of these methods WRITE to the USB stick, however once I actually try to boot off it, it suddenly flashes a bunch of info for like 1 millisecond and then just proceeds to boot my damn Vista as usual.

I can vaguely make out as the text quickly scrolls something about "Booting Vista" or "Rebooting Vista" at the top of the screen, but I have no way to slow down what it's showing me so I have no idea what is wrong.

All 3 methods, the exact same thing happens.. It shows some output text flying across the screen and less then half a second later it's just loading Vista as usual..

Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

I have taken a video with my AWFUL 0.0005 megapixel phonecamera to demonstrate what happens, but its pretty much impossible due to low frames per second to get a good look at all the data it outputs. however if I slow the video down in VLC I have made out this image:

Here is the video of what happens when it tries to boot off the USB stick: http://fta-update.com/VIDEO_002.mp4

Thank you very much for any speedy responses.. I really want to give this a shot tonight

cheers
Your system either isn't set to boot from usb, isn't capable of booting from usb, can't boot from your particular usb stick for one reason or another, or you screwed up somewhere making the stick. Signs seem to point towards the latter since that image appears to be of, what I can only image is, the vista bootloader. You probably see due to extra latency in the boot process caused by bootstrap checking for a bootload on the USB stick and failing to find one.
althekiller Wrote:Your system either isn't set to boot from usb, isn't capable of booting from usb, can't boot from your particular usb stick for one reason or another, or you screwed up somewhere making the stick. Signs seem to point towards the latter since that image appears to be of, what I can only image is, the vista bootloader. You probably see due to extra latency in the boot process caused by bootstrap checking for a bootload on the USB stick and failing to find one.

Hello there,

The USB stick is fine, I can install regular Ubuntu 9.04 off it without a problem. The problem is specifically with the XBMC Live .iso file

I have used this stick dozens of times to install various OS'es, and the motherboard definitely is booting (well, attempting to boot) off the stick itself. I know because I even set USB-HDD for my first boot device and on top of that I can press F12 at startup to PICK my boot device; which is always the stick

I mean it's just writing the ISO to the USB stick, there isn't much to screw up here, it should be a fairly straightforward process

Anyone else have any ideas? Was hoping for a couple more suggestions Sad

Thanks
bump Sad

no responses Sad
Please allow 24hrs for replies before bumping your posts without new information.
Quote:I mean it's just writing the ISO to the USB stick, there isn't much to screw up here, it should be a fairly straightforward process

If the USB is fine and the BIOS setup is fine you may want to revisit this statement. I am not sure what else could go wrong.

I am not sure what your level of expertise is but it is certainly possible to screw up the writing of the ISO => USB.

If you have a CD player, test with a CD, If not test the USB in another comp and if not working test in that computer with CD.
I guess you already saw this:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?f...m_id=11723

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live keeps loading Vista instead of booting itself! (video & image included)0