Can XBMC Live be updated?
Question 
I have set up a system from the XBMC Live CD to install on the hard drive. There seems to be no plugins section and only two skins.

Is this installation limited to what is on the install disk or is there a way to install other skins and plugins?
It's possible though I haven't done this so i'm not sure how. I believe it's been mentioned on the forums before.
of course you can! just copy the necessary files into '/home/xbmc/.xbmc' folder..
fidoboy Wrote:of course you can! just copy the necessary files into '/home/xbmc/.xbmc' folder..
And how exactly do you do that since you can't access the operating system?
Hi
If you have a windows pc on the same network, Download winscp, install then run on your windows pc. Type in your xbmclive ip adress then use "xbmc" (without the quotes) as the username and password. If you installed xbmc-live to a hard drive use the password you chose during the xbmc-live installation. When you connect you will be in your xbmc-live home directory. From there you can just drag and drop files.

cheers
harryzimm Wrote:Hi
If you have a windows pc on the same network, Download winscp, install then run on your windows pc. Type in your xbmclive ip adress then use "xbmc" (without the quotes) as the username and password. If you installed xbmc-live to a hard drive use the password you chose during the xbmc-live installation. When you connect you will be in your xbmc-live home directory. From there you can just drag and drop files.

cheers
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

[Update]

Wow, nifty program! Reminds me of the old MSDOS days with the directory utilities.

Okay, I looked at the '/home/xbmc/.xbmc' folder and found the plugins, skin, and other folders there, but they are all empty. Is this why I can't access them from the XBMC interface? And since the skin folder is also empty, does this mean the stock skins are stored elsewhere?
Yes, the default skins are stored in /usr/share/xbmc/skin/. You can put any skin in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/skin and xbmc will find it, the same goes for plugins and scripts.

cheers
Lightbulb 
TE5LA Wrote:Thanks, I'll give that a try.

[Update]

Wow, nifty program! Reminds me of the old MSDOS days with the directory utilities.

Okay, I looked at the '/home/xbmc/.xbmc' folder and found the plugins, skin, and other folders there, but they are all empty. Is this why I can't access them from the XBMC interface? And since the skin folder is also empty, does this mean the stock skins are stored elsewhere?

You can also use FileZilla for Windows that it's very user friendly and connect using SFTP protocol...
also if you take the USB were you installed XBMC Live onto and plug it into another desktop system, Windows, linux or OSX you have a folder called dotXBMC which contains everything under ~/.xbmc
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can XBMC Live be updated?0