• 12(current)
[RELEASE] Fox News Video
(2021-03-25, 22:50)Botster Wrote:
(2021-03-25, 20:29)Botster Wrote: I don't know how tech savvy you are, but you can fix it on your local copy to get it working if you want.

The issue is in scraper.py. It is found in the Kodi working folder (on Linux its ~/.kodi) under addons/plugin.video.fox.news/resources/lib.

You'll need to replace lines 113-121 (9 lines total):

Do not change that file just yet. It appears to cause an issue playing "Latest" episodes. I'm still looking into it.

Got it. This is what those 9 lines need to be replaced with:
Quote:      if type(a["media-group"]["media-content"]) is list: # Latest
          for b in a["media-group"]["media-content"]:
            if( b["@attributes"]["type"] == 'video/mp4') and (b["media-category"]["@attributes"]["label"] == "PDL_HD"):
                url = b["@attributes"]["url"]
                break
            if url == '':
                    if( b["@attributes"]["type"] == 'application/x-mpegURL'):
                        break
      else: # Full Episodes
        b = a["media-group"]["media-content"]
        if (b["@attributes"]["type"] == 'video/mp4') and (b["media-category"]["@attributes"]["label"] == "PDL_HD"):
        if url == '' and (b["@attributes"]["type"] == 'application/x-mpegURL'):
(2021-03-25, 23:23)Botster Wrote:
(2021-03-25, 22:50)Botster Wrote:
(2021-03-25, 20:29)Botster Wrote: I don't know how tech savvy you are, but you can fix it on your local copy to get it working if you want.

The issue is in scraper.py. It is found in the Kodi working folder (on Linux its ~/.kodi) under addons/plugin.video.fox.news/resources/lib.

You'll need to replace lines 113-121 (9 lines total):

Do not change that file just yet. It appears to cause an issue playing "Latest" episodes. I'm still looking into it.

Got it. This is what those 9 lines need to be replaced with:
Quote:      if type(a["media-group"]["media-content"]) is list: # Latest
            if( b["@attributes"]["type"] == 'video/mp4') and (b["media-category"]["@attributes"]["label"] == "PDL_HD"):
                break
            if url == '':
                    if( b["@attributes"]["type"] == 'application/x-mpegURL'):
                        break
      else: # Full Episodes
        b = a["media-group"]["media-content"]
        if (b["@attributes"]["type"] == 'video/mp4') and (b["media-category"]["@attributes"]["label"] == "PDL_HD"):
        if url == '' and (b["@attributes"]["type"] == 'application/x-mpegURL'):

Thank You i will give it a try, no problem editing that file on my end.

EDIT:
Tested and working good
Sad 
I am trying to use the Fox News add on from the official Kodi repo and it hasn’t been working fully for at least a few weeks ever since I got Kodi. The clips section will work but none of the videos work if you try to open up the full episodes section. Can someone please fix this! Thank you much.
Hi all,

I have also been having trouble trying to watch full episodes of Tucker on the Fox News addon.  Help would be great!  Changing my TV over to watch on roku is way too cumbersome :-).  Below is a link to the error code from the log viewer.

https://paste.kodi.tv/qakodiyalu.kodi
Using current version 7.0.0, I noticed the code under def getAddonVideo(self,url): was different than the full context described in the earlier post. I imagine there has been a change since the original post which affects the proper functioning of the edit. I tried this edit anyways, and the addon didn't start up anymore. I reverted back, but having the same problem as others previously - no full episodes. All other content seems to be working.

Your time and help on this would be most appreciated! Thanks.

s3bby
Thanks for this fix.  Besides Linux and Windows, I run Kodi on Android.  Has anyone successfully updated done this on Android?  Do I have to root the phone/tablet to get edit access to scraper.py?
Do you need to be logged in to a provider to get full episodes
Hi all, I apologize in advance for the sorry state of my code. I'm not a professional programmer and when I do work on something it's not Python, needless to say this is my first experience behind the scenes with a Kodi add-on. That being said I've had a successful stretch the last few months, being able to watch both show clips and full episodes with minimal hiccups due to some (extensive) revisions I've made to the add-on. Due to the fact that I've been able to view content as suits me I don't feel the drive to spend any more time developing the code at this point in time, but I felt maybe some input from others might spur the project along.

Here's some of the features I've already implemented (in part or fully) off the top of my head:
  • You can now access Fox Business shows from the same add-on
  • More robust scraping of shows and artwork from the Fox News and Fox Business websites. This should help with some of the server-side changes that happen occasionally.
  • Updated icon and fanart
  • Fox News Radio Livestream
  • Access to latest full episodes in one list (I've found it useful for shows that don't have their own page yet, ie. Jesse Watters Primetime)
  • Caching (show details, episode information, etc. As a bonus you're able to watch cached episodes older than 5 business days if there's a reason you'd want to do that)
  • Fox News Podcasts (non-functional, several functions simply return nothing when called. I think it's mostly there except for caching)
  • More detailed error logging
Some issues I've encountered:
  • Updating menus can be painfully slow when nothing is cached or the cache is more than a few days old (parallelization could help here)
  • Adding shows to Favorites will require occasionally opening the main add-on to update the cache (due to setting show cache items to expire anywhere from 7 to 30 days, a weird design decision where I assumed show details would always be available by that point and skipping a check to see if they were cached. If you try to open a Favorite and it gives you an error, try opening the add-on and go to the "Fox News Shows" or "Fox Business Shows" menu then retry the shortcut)
  • If the add-on encounters an error while displaying a progress dialog, the dialog will be stuck in the corner of the screen until you restart Kodi
  • Occasionally, and only in show clips from what I've encountered, you'll get a message from Kodi saying "One or more items failed to play" which at some point I think I found out was a HTTP 403 error, but I can't figure out where the holdup is because when I try in my web browser it works
I'm sure there's more that I don't remember at the moment, but I figure I'll get that plus some extras from future feedback. Anyway, while I was working on this I found at least one irregularity in the t1mlib dependency that I've patched, and you'll have to install that first from my .zip as I haven't yet contacted the maintainer of that module to push a new version onto the repository. Another faux pas I'm sure is the fact that I've bundled another library (the Python fuzzywuzzy library) with this add-on as I was unable to find a suitable candidate to fill its role in the main repository. Anyway that's enough rambling from me, without further ado here's my updated Fox News add-on:
  • modified t1mlib here
  • butchered Fox News Video here
Thank you very much for this update!!!  Really glad it is working again!

Any chance the Fox Nation content is inside of the addon?
Unfortunately no, I looked into adding it along with the live video feed but as far as I could tell both required a valid login to gain access. Not to say that I couldn't add subscriber authentication but I don't have the knowledge about how the process works required to implement it, nor do I have an account or TV provider login with which to test. That being said I've spent some time looking at other Kodi add-ons which provide login functionality to see how they do it in the hope that I can gain some insight, hopefully it's somewhat standardized across websites and leads to a breakthrough.
I got so frustrated with the FoxNews plugin not working that I just rolled my own basic scraper.
The main problem, as I saw it, with the efforts in the past is that they were brittle and support was pretty scarce.

The scaper I have is pretty simple.... 1) it's just for the news articles 2)It's stupid simple with a trivial cache.

Not sure if anyone else has made progress and I'm not involved on the development end...

That said, if anyone is stuck and wants a simple working scraper for the FoxNews plugin then please let me know.

Just trying to help.
Would definitely appreciate any help on this. As it is in the official KODI repository one would expect it to work or at minimum be fixed in a week or two. But the FOX News add-on, regardless of KODI version goes down very frequently and can be months before it works again.   Currently I am running KODI on Android/NVIDIA shield, Fire Stick, Raspberry Pi 4, and a LINUX laptop. Lost FOX News add-on on all of them and it has been months now.  All I get is a menu of Files, Playlists, Video add-ons.  To be honest, as the "Logs" are meaningless for mere mortals, I shut that feature down long ago.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Fox News Video0