• 12(current)
[LIVE/LINUX] Package of xboxdrv for Xbox 360 Controller support on XBMC Live
smith I did exactly that see my post here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=628...tcount=158

-=Jason=-
l.capriotti Wrote:Someone asked me to draft a script for beta3, and I used an updated PPA I have found on launchpad. Here is the draft script.

Since beta3 you could place the script on ~/.xbmc/live.d (or /etc/xbmc/init.d), chmod +x it, and it will be automatically run with root privileges.

It's totally untested - I don't have the HW - but you may want to have a look at this different approach.

ok so I put the script l.capriotti made and placed it in

/etc/xbmc/live.d/15-xbox360Controller
I chmod +x it
I rebooted and now I have a xboxdrv.xbox360.keymap.xml file inside of my ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/ folder thats fine and dandy.

but I can't seem to get my controller to sync up with my pc usb dongle.

I have unplugged both removed batter. I press the wireless sys button on the back of my controller and it going circles round and round, I pressed and held the usb button until it started blinking.

the usb stops blinking and remains green while my xbox controller just blinks the outer ring. it doesn't go solid top left like it should.

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:ok so I put the script l.capriotti made and placed it in

/etc/xbmc/live.d/15-xbox360Controller
I chmod +x it
I rebooted and now I have a xboxdrv.xbox360.keymap.xml file inside of my ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/ folder thats fine and dandy.

but I can't seem to get my controller to sync up with my pc usb dongle.

I have unplugged both removed batter. I press the wireless sys button on the back of my controller and it going circles round and round, I pressed and held the usb button until it started blinking.

the usb stops blinking and remains green while my xbox controller just blinks the outer ring. it doesn't go solid top left like it should.

-=Jason=-

I *think* the problem is that the script doesn't write anything to rc.local so that the driver loads before xbmc does. Can't say for sure, but that's my suspicion.
ahh I'll look into that and see if my rc.local has anything in it related to the xboxdrv

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:ahh I'll look into that and see if my rc.local has anything in it related to the xboxdrv

-=Jason=-

my rc.loacl didn't have any xboxdrv info in it, matter of face I didn't even have a xboxdrv folder in my home dir ~/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v2 it didn't exist at all.

I have manually wget the folder and unTAR'd it.

funny thing is running the script I don't recall getting asked any of the questions I see it should be doing.

-=Jason=-

EDIT: I notice the script grabbed Version 2 not version1. when editing the xbboxdrv_for_xbmc_live_9.0.4.Janunty.sh script I didn't have a line that started with ./xboxdrv-linux...

but I have edited to look like this.
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v2$ cat xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.9.04.jaunty.sh
#!/bin/bash

# use the below line to make a lib/ dir :)
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/xbmc/lib

# if you use this line, make sure libboost_thread-mt.so.1.37.0 is in the same dir as this script.
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.
rmmod xpad
modprobe uinput
modprobe joydev

./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 0 -s -l 2 --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 1 -s -l 2 --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 2 -s -l 2 --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 3 -s -l 2 --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &

does that look correct?

-=Jason=-
Looks good to me. Perhaps I'm just ignorant about how the drivers are supposed to work. I'm ignorant about linux in general, so it's nothing new. Anyway, I believe that if the SH is not called via rc.local, it doesn't work correctly when trying to manually run the driver. At least, that's what I recall happening. So I *think* that is necessary. Secondly, you have to call 4 drivers otherwise you won't have support for 4 controllers. That's where the SH file come in, since it automatically does that. Aside from that, I don't know what the developers need to do to make it work out of the box.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=609...stcount=92

That's the quickest way I know how to make the controllers work.
alex thats the route I ended up going... doing it all line by line,

-=Jason=-

EDIT: controller syncs up instantly with usb dongle
alexpigment Wrote:OK, here's my attempt at some easy instructions for getting XBOX 360 controllers working on Dharma.

1) Download the file xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1.tar.gz from here: http://drop.io/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live#

2) FTP into your system and transfer this file to the xbmc folder (should be where you are by default).

3) SSH into your system and type the following:
Code:
sudo tar -zxvf xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1.tar.gz

4) Now change directories to the newly unzipped folder:
Code:
cd xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1

5) Do the following to generate a keymap file:
Code:
cp -vf ./keymap.xml.trigger.as.zaxis.jaunty ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/xboxdrv.xbox360.keymap.xml

6a) Do the following for multi-controller support:
Code:
sudo nano xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.9.04.jaunty.sh

6b) Once in nano, you will see that there is a line that starts with ./xboxdrv-linux... delete that line and paste (if you're using PuTTY to ssh, you can paste by right clicking):
Code:
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 0 -s --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &
sleep 1
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 1 -s --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &
sleep 1
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 2 -s --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &
sleep 1
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 3 -s --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &

Once this is done Ctrl+O to save (click Enter to accept changes), Ctrl+x to close nano

7a) Type the following to edit your rc.local file:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local

7b) Once in nano, type the following line above the line "exit 0"
Code:
cd /home/xbmc/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1 && sh ./xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.9.04.jaunty.sh

Now type Ctrl+O to save, Enter to accept changes, Ctrl+X to exit nano

8) Type the following to reboot:
Code:
sudo reboot

Now, I am not 100% sure that will work on your USB situation. For me, when I was running XBMC live off a USB, the files I FTP'd onto the drive were gone upon reboot. So... I guess try it out and let me know if it works or doesn't. I will know in a day or two for sure how well it works when I have to redo one of my Revo boxes for Beta 2.

Also, thanks to the following people for providing almost all of the steps/assistance:
Grumbel, Darwin, Mityama, and probably others I'm forgetting.

EDIT: I fixed a few typos and omissions, tested it, and it works on my end from a fresh installation of XBMC Live Dharma Beta 2 on an Acer Revo 1600.

since I failed at getting those scripts working I had to revert back to the tried and truck line by line method, but I replaced steps 1 and 2 with this
Code:
wget http://drop.io/download/4cd876a7/50643606b2fb595f886bc579aa3088323319acd5/Asset/8449475/v3/original_content -O xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1.tar.gz

-=Jason=-
alexpigment Wrote:OK, here's my attempt at some easy instructions for getting XBOX 360 controllers working on Dharma.

1) Download the file xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1.tar.gz from here: http://drop.io/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live#

2) FTP into your system and transfer this file to the xbmc folder (should be where you are by default).

3) SSH into your system and type the following:
Code:
sudo tar -zxvf xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1.tar.gz

4) Now change directories to the newly unzipped folder:
Code:
cd xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1

5) Do the following to generate a keymap file:
Code:
cp -vf ./keymap.xml.trigger.as.zaxis.jaunty ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/xboxdrv.xbox360.keymap.xml

6a) Do the following for multi-controller support:
Code:
sudo nano xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.9.04.jaunty.sh

6b) Once in nano, you will see that there is a line that starts with ./xboxdrv-linux... delete that line and paste (if you're using PuTTY to ssh, you can paste by right clicking):
Code:
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 0 -s --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &
sleep 1
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 1 -s --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &
sleep 1
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 2 -s --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &
sleep 1
./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 3 -s --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis &

Once this is done Ctrl+O to save (click Enter to accept changes), Ctrl+x to close nano

7a) Type the following to edit your rc.local file:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local

7b) Once in nano, type the following line above the line "exit 0"
Code:
cd /home/xbmc/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1 && sh ./xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.9.04.jaunty.sh

Now type Ctrl+O to save, Enter to accept changes, Ctrl+X to exit nano

8) Type the following to reboot:
Code:
sudo reboot

Now, I am not 100% sure that will work on your USB situation. For me, when I was running XBMC live off a USB, the files I FTP'd onto the drive were gone upon reboot. So... I guess try it out and let me know if it works or doesn't. I will know in a day or two for sure how well it works when I have to redo one of my Revo boxes for Beta 2.

Also, thanks to the following people for providing almost all of the steps/assistance:
Grumbel, Darwin, Mityama, and probably others I'm forgetting.

EDIT: I fixed a few typos and omissions, tested it, and it works on my end from a fresh installation of XBMC Live Dharma Beta 2 on an Acer Revo 1600.

this work only on ubuntu?
Hi Alex,

thanks for your work - now my wireless controller works fine

two things I noticed with the skript:

- it doesnt check if its run by root so if you dont use sudo it wont have permission to change rc.local

- when copying the keymap file it used the old pre-Dharma name keymap.*

thanks again

it would be nice if this was included in the LiveCD instead of an half-working driver
ral67 Wrote:Hi Alex,

thanks for your work - now my wireless controller works fine

The big thanks go to grumbel, who actually wrote the driver Wink

SPEAKING OF WHICH, he is making some very serious headway on getting the chatpad to work in linux. Here's a link:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/hardware...ge-31.html

You probably will want to skip to page 30 or so. This is a very nice start to a new year Smile
Flomaster Wrote:since I failed at getting those scripts working I had to revert back to the tried and truck line by line method, but I replaced steps 1 and 2 with this
Code:
wget http://drop.io/download/4cd876a7/50643606b2fb595f886bc579aa3088323319acd5/Asset/8449475/v3/original_content -O xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1.tar.gz

-=Jason=-

I'm working with another user to get the file hosted on his site. When I can do a direct wget, I'll update my tutorial and eliminate the need to FTP in. For now, I've updated my post with a link to mediafire since drop.io went down.
Anyone else noticing that after a suspend/resume the controller stops working ?

when turning on the controller the position lights keeps flashing.

Running rc.local again just gives:

Quote:ERROR: Module xpad does not exist in /proc/modules
xboxdrv 0.4.8
Copyright © 2008 Ingo Ruhnke <[email protected]>
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

USB Device: 002:004
Controller: "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (PC)" (idVendor: 0x045e, idProduct: 0x0719)
Wireless Port: 0
Controller Type: Xbox360 (wireless)
Deadzone: 12000
Trigger Deadzone: 0
Rumble Debug: off
Rumble Speed: left: -1 right: -1
LED Status: auto
Square Axis: no
ButtonMap: none
AxisMap: none
RelativeAxisMap: none
AutoFireMap: none
RumbleGain: 255
ForceFeedback: disabled
Error: Error couldn't claim the USB interface: Device or resource busy
Try to run 'rmmod xpad' and start xboxdrv again.

any ideas ?

Thanks. To get this to work on my fresh Dharma install I had to blacklist xpad module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist (iirc)
awef Wrote:Thanks. To get this to work on my fresh Dharma install I had to blacklist xpad module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist (iirc)

That's odd. The first command in the sh script is to rmmod xpad, so that shouldn't be necessary. Are you sure you followed step 6b correctly, or did you replace *all* of the existing lines with what I pasted?
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE/LINUX] Package of xboxdrv for Xbox 360 Controller support on XBMC Live1