[LIVE] Run applications on top of XBMC in XBMC Live?
rickx Wrote:here comes the big secret:
PRESS ALT+TAB once.

done.Wink

Unfortunately the ALT+TAB trick doesn't work for me.
After starting Firefox using the launcher the focus is still on the XBMC and not on the browser. Using ALT+TAB doesn't change that. :confused2:
I have had the same issue for months, well ever since I tried the launcher plugin. Alt and tab does nothing neither does / to take control of firefox.
lefty420 Wrote:I have had the same issue for months, well ever since I tried the launcher plugin. Alt and tab does nothing neither does / to take control of firefox.

'\' (Fn+M on DiNovo Mini keyboard) taking control to firefox or back to xbmc (after exiting firefox). Only works when mouse is above the window I want to pass focus to.

I have a weirder problem. UI fonts of firefox (menu, dialogs) are so tiny they are practically invisible, if I launching it under XBMC session I autologinning to. As soon as I exit XBMC and login back to the XBMC session - fonts are ok, but its kind of defeats the purpose of the whole launcher things...

If anybody knows how to fix this, please, tell me.
Thank you.
I have an Acer Revo 3610 with XBMC Live on HDD installed.

I have installed Firefox 3.5 and try to launch the browser with the Launcher Plugin. It works but I am not able to use my mouse or keyboard to navigate or type a url.

Is there a solution for that?
position the mouse on the window and press \.
Remember that it is \ on a US keyb layout,
vikjon0 Wrote:position the mouse on the window and press \.
Remember that it is \ on a US keyb layout,

It worked thanks a lot.

Do you know how to configure the font used in firefox. The used font is very very big and the window is not exactly in the LCD in Full HD Mode.
Lightbulb 
And now, the right way to accomplish this task. Create a script file (name it firefox.sh for example) using the nano editor. The write these lines into that file:

Code:
fluxbox &
firefox
sudo killall -9 fluxbox

save it and use chmod +x firefox.sh to make it executable. Then call this script from the app launcher plugin in XBMC.

Enjoy! Wink
ChrisNewman Wrote:It worked thanks a lot.

Do you know how to configure the font used in firefox. The used font is very very big and the window is not exactly in the LCD in Full HD Mode.

dude, for fonts > go back to the first page where rickx mentions setting the DPI in your xorg.conf
for window control, (maximizing/resizing... ) you need a window-manager xbmcLIVE doesnt come with one
you can do as fidoboy's suggestions and install fluxbox or any of the light-weight WMs
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
Quote:And now, the right way to accomplish this task.

Sounds good, the \ solution is not really usuable.

I will test it asap. The majority of the "guides" if focused on incorrect steps to create a sym link to /usr/bin/firefox.
Will you write something up on this? If it results in really usuable browsing with sound I think many will be interested.
--

Also please note that firefox needs to be installed with no recommends.
sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install firefox
Otherwise I think it may bring in enough gnome components to break usb mounting in Live.
Quote:And now, the right way to accomplish this task.
Yes, it works pretty good!
Is there any simple way to configure resolution for the fluxbox session?
EDIT: Perhaps xrandr is the best solution for this?
Quote:xrandr -s 1024x768
I dont have time to test right now but it should then be placed in fluxbox/startup.
(please not that running fluxbox is not the correct way to start. You have to to startfluxbox for the startup file to be used)

I will probably change to openbox to drop the program bar at the button.

Quote:Install Launcher
--
mkdir Downloads
cd Downloads
wget http://xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/file...er1.04.zip
unzip Launcher1.04.zip

cd ..

setup firefox
--
mkdir scripts
cd scripts
sudo nano firefox.sh

#!/bin/bash
fluxbox &
firefox
sudo killall -9 fluxbox

sudo chmod +x firefox.sh

sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install firefox

sudo apt-get install eterm
I'm using chrome for internet browsing, it takes less time to start on my XBMC Live and it uses less resources. If you have XBMC Live it comes with fluxbox window manager installed. Also, as someone posted before, you'll need to set the font DPI in xorg.conf file.

regards,
fidoboy Wrote:I'm using chrome for internet browsing, it takes less time to start on my XBMC Live and it uses less resources. If you have XBMC Live it comes with fluxbox window manager installed. Also, as someone posted before, you'll need to set the font DPI in xorg.conf file.

regards,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. But how can I set the font dpi in xorg.conf. Can you give me an example

regards Chris
Step by step to get firefox working in Live.

Edit:
Read updated version here instead:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71664
Hey vikjon0,

I've gone through the whole process, and I have firefox open but I can't control it using the keyboard or mouse (cursor just sits in the middle). Keyboard and mouse works fine in xbmc.

Before going through the steps to get rid of the fluxbox error message I could control firefox ok, although when closing it it wasn't returning me to xbmc, and I needed to restart to get back to normal.

Any tips?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Run applications on top of XBMC in XBMC Live?0