ATV + NAS vs. ATV + USB drives
Hi there,

so, my current setup is ATV running XBMC with 3 1TB USB drives attached.
I've never tried streaming, but am about to run out of space on my 3TBs.

I was trying to figure out if I should just keep adding USB drives, or if it would be time for me to move to a NAS, and add storage there.

I want t be able to:
- not have a computer constantly on to be able to access my media in my living room
- not experience any lags while watching my content
- easily add content to my storage
- expand storage space as my media library grows

Cost wise, the NAS approach does seem to be a little bit more expensive, but since it offers backup capabilities, I'd imagine that it could be beneficial in the long run.

Anybody's experienced a NAS + ATV setup and would be willing to talk about his/her experience?
Also, which NAS would you recommend?

Thanks
Well, I'm not on an ATV, I built my own ION-based XBMC machine, but I am running a QNAP TS409 Pro. I've got four 500GB drives at the moment in RAID5 giving me about 1.25TB of storage over gigabit ethernet.

This particular model allows for drive expansion - I can throw in larger drives and get it to extend the volume size as drives get cheaper. It's got all sorts of nice sharing options, plus Twonky for when XBMC comes over all flakey and I need to view media on the PS3.

No lag, XBMC works perfectly with it and I leave it running 24/7.
I use a Synology DS107+ (new model would be DS109) to stream my media to the ATV , and I am extremely happy with this solution. The Synology NAS are very good, have an excellent web interface and have more features than you will ever need.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV + NAS vs. ATV + USB drives0