usplash - black box
In the usplash xbmc boot screen, blue spinner version, I have a large black box. I've updated to version 1.1 of the packages from PPA and have the same problem.

I've see that this is a known problem here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37336&page=7, suggesting to re-compile.

I've been waiting for the PPA's to be updated, but just wanted to check if everyone has the same problem or its a problem with my setup.
Check out this post a few hours after yours where the splash author says:
Quote:I have updated all of my USplash themes to fix a long standing issue regarding the display of boot messages (such as fsck).

So the issue may be fixed. I am currently installing it but not in a location to view the results yet.

Duduke has instructions on his post. I must be using a different version of Ubuntu (Jaunty). So in order to install the themes I needed a few packages, some of which are different:
Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion build-essential libusplash-dev

For anyone without a Google Code account the new splash themes are available via a public SVN:
Code:
svn checkout http://usplash-theme-xbmc.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ usplash-theme-xbmc-read-only

Nail down into whichever directory for the splash screen you want and run make:
Code:
make

Edit the splash resolution with this:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/usplash.conf

Add the following (1280x720 for 720P and 1920x1080 for 1080P):
Code:
xres=1280
yres=720

Install the new splash (be sure to change <path to yourimage-splash.so> to the actual path):
Code:
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-artwork.so usplash-artwork.so <path to yourimage-splash.so> 55

Change the current splash and update the boot image:
Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
sudo update-initramfs -u
The problems with invisible text are fixed. I have only managed to test them on Karmic.
So, if you have any problems with other version of Ubuntu, please let me know.
that seems to have done the trick thanks for both of you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
usplash - black box0