Question about adding USB Ports to the xBox For use in the xBox Media Center
Question 
Hey everyone. I've got a question about a link I saw on the xBox scene regarding adding a standard USB port to the xBox. I liked this one in particular because you didn't have to worry about breaking the case or soldering.

http://xbox-scene.com/articles/usb-port.php

I was reading through the guide, and I guess I got "hung up" at which wires to attach (Step 4). I know that you attach the two yellow wires back together how they were before, but do I really attach ALL the regular USB wires together - like all 3 reds together, all 3 greens together, etc. like that? And if you do, how would that work out, or can you only have one or the other in use at a time.

I am sorry, but this just seemed a tad bit confusing to me. Thank you everyone!

- 2 Bunny
Moving this as this does not relate to XBMC specifically.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Rainbow 
tslayer Wrote:Moving this as this does not relate to XBoxMediaCenter specifically.

Oh, it doesn't? I wanted to use the USB ports for USB drives/keyboards/mouses/etc. in the xBox Media Center.

Whatever you say, Mr. Slayer!

- 2 Bunny
From what i remember you connect all 3 greens together and all 3 black and all red etc as you stated. then you should be able to use any standard usb keyboard to it and some memory sticks but you wont be able to use a standard xbox joypad at the same time.
And isn't that a picture of a Guinea pigLaugh
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
2 Bunny. It is hardware related. Doing the hardware part is outside XBMC.

Once you get that done properly, and if you have issues with it not working in XBMC, then you can post in the XBMC for Xbox forum.

Until XBMC is involved, it is offtopic.

Thanks.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Smile 
paul Wrote:From what i remember you connect all 3 greens together and all 3 black and all red etc as you stated. then you should be able to use any standard usb keyboard to it and some memory sticks but you wont be able to use a standard xbox joypad at the same time.
And isn't that a picture of a Guinea pigLaugh

So It can be done, just basically cannot use both ports at the same time? I still want to retain the usability of port 4.

Thanks for your help, paul. I'll have to give you a "rep".

tslayer Wrote:2 Bunny. It is hardware related. Doing the hardware part is outside XBMC.

Once you get that done properly, and if you have issues with it not working in XBMC, then you can post in the XBMC for Xbox forum.

Until XBMC is involved, it is offtopic.

Thanks.

Whatever you say, Mr. Slayer.

- 2 Bunny
2 Bunny Wrote:So It can be done, just basically cannot use both ports at the same time? I still want to retain the usability of port 4.

Thanks for your help, paul. I'll have to give you a "rep".

Whatever you say, Mr. Slayer.

- 2 Bunny
Your welcome it's allways nice to help a fellow userSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Big Grin 
paul Wrote:Your welcome it's allways nice to help a fellow userSmile

Thanks. One more question for you there paul (or anyone), do you have any pointers on stripping the wires in the usb cable. I started taking mine apart already this afternoon. I think I'll be able to manage the outer casing and insulation, but how am I going to get the stuff off the colored wires themselves? Is there a special trick, or do I just need to work at it with scissors like I've been doing?

- 2 Bunny
Personally, I use my teeth. Pliers can be used too, though you stand a good change of stripping the wire along with the insulation. Scissors are sharper and so harder to work with (you don't want to cut the wires). Most electronics stores sell proper wire strippers (which can be built into pliers).

Note that there's no real standard for what color wires will be in your USB socket. If the colours don't match, you'll need to work out the correct order yourself. Likewise, if the colours do match, don't assume they're supposed to go together! A multimeter is recommended for that sort of thing. The correct pin order can be found here.

Personally, I just bought a couple of external adapters (like this one). Cheap as chips, can be removed entirely when not in use, and can be used to hook USB devices up to any console I come across - not just my own.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
Information 
Bomb Bloke Wrote:Personally, I use my teeth. Pliers can be used too, though you stand a good change of stripping the wire along with the insulation. Scissors are sharper and so harder to work with (you don't want to cut the wires). Most electronics stores sell proper wire strippers (which can be built into pliers).

Note that there's no real standard for what color wires will be in your USB socket. If the colors don't match, you'll need to work out the correct order yourself. Likewise, if the colors do match, don't assume they're supposed to go together! A multimeter is recommended for that sort of thing. The correct pin order can be found here.

Personally, I just bought a couple of external adapters (like this one). Cheap as chips, can be removed entirely when not in use, and can be used to hook USB devices up to any console I come across - not just my own.

All right. I got a red, black, green, and white in the extension cable, and the same in the regular xBox usb cable. Just one question on the xBox Linux old school link you gave me, how am I supposed to tell which cable goes with each pin on the thing? Should I just guess? You mentioned using a multimeter, which I do have access to. So, which settings would I put it on to see if they are all the right order?

Thanks!

- 2 Bunny

PS: I fixed your "colours" and your couk link to eBay in the quote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about adding USB Ports to the xBox For use in the xBox Media Center0