samba folder scan very slow when maximized
Question 
Hello all,

I have XBMC installed on two laptops (one atlantis and another babylon) and I'm having some very strange problems with my folder scan speed. If I want to scan my media folder when the XBMC window is maximized it goes very slow. Like one folder every 10-15 seconds (I monitor my server with wireshark), when I alt-tab or run XBMC in windowed mode this scanning is significantly faster, 10-20 folders every second.

Since I find running XBMC in windowed mode not the ideal solution to this problem I was wondering if anybody has any ideas what could cause this problem?

Best regards
Could be maybe CPU is going nuts in full screen? Could try enabling debug logging (Settings > System > Hardware > Enable debug loggin), it should show the CPU load and other parameters.
Thanks for the tip! It was indeed my CPU being maximally loaded, I guess the samba scanning in the background doesn't work too well in this case. This immediately explains why I don't have this problem on my dual core. I will scourge the forum for solutions to this high cpu utilization... Smile
edit: set vsync to always on and now it sits at 30%, since I it isn't an always on setup and video playback is still great this seems a well enough fix. (btw the problem occurred on an ATI and Intel gpu)
Good job, thanks for posting your solution, others might find it useful as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
samba folder scan very slow when maximized0