Music Genre Backdrops
Following on from the Movie Genre Backdrops I posted a couple of weeks ago, I've put together the same style backdrops for my music genres so I have continuity throughout - thought they might be of interest to others. Again, thanks to TBinfection for his original movie genres and Photoshop action & instructions.

Probably more so than movies, music is often difficult to pigeon hole into a single genre and what may be heavy metal to one person could easily be soft rock to another. As you will see below, my music tastes are very much in the rock arena and most of my music is split into different types of rock. Therefore I completely understand that these may not be applicable to others music collections.

I've had to re-evaluate my own music genres; mainly because I had many that had a forward slash i.e. Grunge/Alternative Rock which is fine within the ID3 tags of the music file and show up fine in Kodi, but you can't save a jpg or png file with a / within the filename and therefore Kodi couldn't place the backdrop on the genre screen. I also did a bit of consolidation as I had too many genres, some with too few artists to complete a 32 artist backdrop; Glam Rock (which was mainly Bowie and T-Rex with a few others - didn't really want a picture of Glitter on my backdrop!!) was combined with Classic Rock etc...

As mentioned before, not everyone will agree with certain artists being in certain genres or the name of the genre, but you can simply rename the file to coincide with the genre you have.

Most are hopefully fairly self-explanatory, but to explain them;

50's & 60's is mainly 60's pop (Beatles, Kinks, Beach Boys etc...) with a bit of rock n roll (Chuck Berry) and 50's crooners (Frank Sinatra)
Acid Jazz - been a while since I've been into Acid Jazz, so may be a bit dated but includes the like of Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies etc... and a couple of trad jazz artists
Alternative Rock - mainly grunge and post-grunge bands (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP etc...)
Arena Rock - soft rock really with a focus on the big AOR bands of the 70's & 80's (Journey, REO, Toto, Foreigner, Bon Jovi) and Bruce
Classic Blues - the classic blues artists of the 50's & 60's (BB King, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters etc...)
Classic Rock - from AC/DC to ZZ Top
Country & Southern Rock - mainly the southern rock bands such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Blackfoot etc... with a bit of country (Johnny Cash, Eagles etc...)
Dance - apologies to anyone who is into this type of music, it's probably as pointless to you as someone just having a Rock genre would be to me!
Folk Rock - Dylan & Neil Young dominate this one for me
Hard Rock is mainly bands that came out of the Glam Metal of the 80's (GnR, Crue, Poison etc...)
Heavy Metal - again could easily be sub-divided but for me this is mainly the NWOBHM bands (Maiden, Saxon) and thrash (Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth) etc..
Indie Rock starts with the 70's/80's bands (The Jam, Smiths, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses) and goes onto the Britpop days (Blur, Oasis, Pulp) and the more recent (Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian etc...)
Modern Blues - starting with the British Blues Invasion of the 60's, the 80's blues stars (SVR, Robert Cray) and the recent flag-bearers (Joe Bonamassa, Gary Clark Jnr, Oli Brown, Dana Fuchs)
Pop Rock for me is predominantly fairly modern singer/songwriters such as James Morrison, James Blunt, Jason Mraz, David Gray etc... with a few older popular artists that weren't quite rock, but equally, a bit more than just pop (Tom Jones, Rod Stewart etc...)
Pop - apart from Prince I have little "pop" music whatever that is supposed to be anyway, so for this backdrop I put in some classic (imo) pop artists (Michael Jackson, Madonna, Mariah, Kylie) along with some more modern artists (Katy Perry, Jessie J) - feeling my age on this one Huh
Progressive Rock - mainly Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, Asia for me
Rock Chicks - started with the big female rock vocalists of the 80's (Tina Turner, Bonnie Tyler, Heart) and then the more modern (Anastacia, Pink, Avril Lavigne etc...)
Soul - Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder etc...

Anyway, I hope it is of help/interest to some of you and thanks again to TBinfection for his original work;

Just knocked up another one I needed for my Now That's What I Call Music collection - which I have as a genre! Just used artists from the first 16 albums, which happen to be from 1983-1989 so could be used as an 80's background etc...

Nice work!

Not a massive fan of multiple artwork in 1 fanart myself, but these look really well produced. What software did you use?
Thanks Zag - I know what you mean; multiple images can look messy/too busy, but yeah I think these look good, especially as our TV's get bigger and bigger!

Can't take too much credit really, the original movie backdrops were done by TBinfection, so I guess he did the design/layout etc... They're done using Adobe Creative Bridge and Adobe Photoshop.
Download link? Smile
You can hit the cog in the top right corner to download them off imgur

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Genre Backdrops0