• 1(current)
[LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)

XBMScript is a all-in-one solution for installing XBMC on your linux machine! Just install the Ubuntu 9.04 “Jaunty Jackalope” Minimal CD, download the script and you are all set!

Features:
* A complete solution for installing XBMC on Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
* Installs all necessary Nvidia drivers for silky smooth playback using VDPAU
* SVN XBMC packages for bleeding edge features
* Sets up and configures FTP and Samba (Windows File Sharing) at your givens paths
* Automatically install/update skins such as Auriga/Hitched/Showmix/Temmi2000/Alaska
* Configures your Asrock ION 330 for HDMI sound
* One-click installation of the Xbox DVD and Generic Infrared Remote
* Easily update the entire system and/or XBMScript
* Log errors and instantly upload them to pastebin.com
* Sony Bluetooth Remote support (Unique!)
* Easy to use menu

Still to be done:
* Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala support
* ATI GPU support
* Plus a lot more!

If you think you can help me out, contact me here or offer help in this thread.
It should work on the Zotac ION and Acer AspireRevo as well. However, I don't have these machines. Please inform me of the results.

Download here
Number of downloads: 6978 (number manually updated from my download statistics)
Number of donators: 7

List of people who have been awesome enough to donate (and thereby helped me buy bacon/beer):
  • rebaker501
  • nanashi
  • cossie
  • FireMan
  • Evin
  • Chris
  • X3lectric

You are free to modify this code in any way you like, as long as you give credit where due.
Do you like XBMScript? Buy me a beer!

Instructions:

Install the Ubuntu 9.04 “Jaunty Jackalope” Minimal CD and download XBMScript manually from above or use the following command on your linux box:
Code:
wget http://flx.me/script; chmod +x xbmscript.sh; sudo ./xbmscript.sh

XBMScript has only been tested under the user “xbmc”. Using a other username might cause some breakage! Please let me know if this is the case.

Changes:
Code:
10-02-2009:
  - PS3 Bluetooth Remote support! A very special thanks to walmis ([url=http://blueman-project.org/]blueman[/url] developer)
  - Fixed minor bugs and redesigned the questions asked on installation
Code:
09-22-2009:
- Implemented logging support, writes logfiles in home dir
- Added option to automatically send logs to pastebin for easy examination
- Reworked Remote Installation menu, added Generic Infrared Remote support
Code:
09-16-2009:
- Added an interactive skin prompt for choosing skins
- Added Alaska and Aeon Temmi as choices
Code:
09-11-2009:
- First public release!
- Asrock ION 330 HDMI support
- FTP & Samba installation support
- Fixed Xbox DVD Remote installation

I would like to give a special shout out to:
walmis: for the ps3_pair program. Without him the ps3 remote pairing would be a lot more difficult! Be sure to check out http://blueman-project.org for the best bluetooth applet on GNOME!
kubax: for all the brainstorming and bluez headaches we shared together Smile
ruff: ps3 remote powersaving and keymapping patches
cyberpark: for the original linux setup script
patkhoo: for his Aeon installation/update script, I hope you didnt mind that I took some parts from this Smile
Last night I spent a couple hours trying to get HDMI sound working on my Ion 330.

You, good sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. (Assuming this works)
It worked fine for me Smile
If anyone has bugs or feature request, please feel free to add them to this thread.

Regards,
Dennis
Seems to work pretty well. HDMI audio still doesn't work for me, but my surround sound receiver as an optical input, so it's not a giant deal.
I'll check out the settings tomorrow, update the script when I've fixed it by choosing option 9.
Awesome. What version does option 1 install over option 2?
Quick feature suggestion. LIRC is pretty much the easiest thing in recorded history to install and set up, but having an option to install it would help make the script a one-stop-shop for installing XBMC.
JK on the HDMI audio. I did a format/reinstall and it works now. I have no idea what I did to break it, but it looks like it was me, not your script.
crash123 Wrote:Awesome. What version does option 1 install over option 2?
Option one installs the latest official stable. Option 2 installs the latest SVN bleeding edge release.
PlayerVsFish Wrote:Quick feature suggestion. LIRC is pretty much the easiest thing in recorded history to install and set up, but having an option to install it would help make the script a one-stop-shop for installing XBMC.
Option 6 currently installs lirc and makes the necessary changes in hardware.conf and lircd.conf to make the XBOX DVD Remote to work with xbmc. What are you suggesting? Generic lirc remote support? I could build that. Do most remotes need some changes in hardware and lircd.conf?
PlayerVsFish Wrote:JK on the HDMI audio. I did a format/reinstall and it works now. I have no idea what I did to break it, but it looks like it was me, not your script.
Good to hear! Keep those results coming Smile
Hi! I've tried today your script and it's great! it work for me but I don't know why when I run the option 2. Install XBMC SVN Version it seems to upgrade to last version ok, but when restart the pc xbmc won't load correctly ... it splash the logo of xbmc , and disappear 1 sec and later it appear/disapear .. i've tried to update another time via shell but it doesn't not work. I don't know how to fix, pls help me.

thx
Does the stable release works? On what kind of hardware is this? Please post the relevant output of /var/log/messages
it's a phemon x4 and nvidia 8600 machine. When I installed the stable rls all went fine, but in the moment of the update to last svn it doesn't works, xbmc tries to start but fails, and enters an infinite loop. I don't know what can be, but I enter via winSCP and seems that in the xbmc folder there isn't a lot of files, for example in the skin folder there isn't anyone.
kalojero, I just did a fresh install here and it works fine. Maybe its specific to your machine? Could you try to debug a bit to see whats going on?
@kalojero . it's a problem of the last svn image. look this thread http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php...27&page=50

you still had to edit skin.xml to make it work and write <version>3.0</version> instade of <version>2.11</version>
nice guide.

but whats next after installing xbmc. how do i start the program? i only get a prompt after logging into ubuntu.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)5