Jumpy 1080p video playback
Hello all,

New member here so forgive me if this is not the right place to post this.

I am outputting video from my Windows Vista PC to an LG 1080p 32" display. Video playback is done through the latest version of VLC and any downloaded 1080p content is very jumpy. I have upgraded to the latest video drivers for my card and the problem remains.

PC spec is as follows:

AMD Athlon x2 4200+
3GB RAM
7200 RPM HD 1TB
Nvidia 8500GT 512mb

My question is; is this problem due to a lack of processing power, power-lacking graphics card or something else?
On a windows machine there is no video acceleration so your video card won't really matter. Looking at your specs, it looks like the processor is the culprit here. You're only running at 2.2Ghz and every windows spec I've seen recommends at least 3.0Ghz (on an intel) for 1080p. Not sure where the cut-off for AMDs are (Intels are generally considered faster, so you may need 3.2Ghz or somesuch).
check if you have vsync enabled as if you do & refresh rate of the TV is not a multiple of the film frame rate then it will be jumpy. I am using a 2.6GHz AMD & can play 1080p without any problems in win XP but 2.2 might be a bit low. Check the vsync settings & see if that helps.
maybe core avc would help and mpc hd or something. worth a try if you don't wanna upgrade ur hardware.
zwat Wrote:maybe core avc would help and mpc hd or something. worth a try if you don't wanna upgrade ur hardware.

It would definitely help.

I run a AMD X2 3800+ with only 1GB of 333 DDR2 and 1080p plays perfectly.

However in VLC it is severely choppy and out of sync.

What I have done is removed all codecs (a format is probably required) installed CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) and Cove AVC.

CCCP will install MPC (Media Player Classic) and you should only use that to play 1080p files.

The biggest mistake is that after doing all that some people do not de-select (uncheck) H.264/AVC in the FFDShow Video Decoders section of the CCCP Settings.

This needs to be unchecked to allow CoreAVC to do the decoding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jumpy 1080p video playback0