LiveTV with XBMC & Aeon (not native)
Hi there,

I registered here just to share this little trick with you people. Last night I was tinkering around a little and I found a pretty convenient way to integrate Live TV into XBMC almost seamlessly.

Probably some of you have already come across this solution yourselves, but I haven't found anything on the forums or anywhere else regarding this and I believe this will help out some people.

XBMC unfortunately doesn't support LiveTV (yet?!) and that really is a pain in the ass. I tried different approaches using Orb etc.

Required for this solution to work is that you already have any program you can use to watch LiveTV installed and running, if not, you can use Windows Media Center, VLC or what do I know, there are a lot of good ones out there.
Since I used WMC I will explain the steps here regarding WMC, ut you can change things according to the program you use.

What I did was first install this launcher plugin and set it up to fire up Windows ME
edia Center. So add a launcher called "Live TV" (without quotes. The name here is important later on) and point it to C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe
It's annoying to navigate to the LiveTV section everytime it starts to pass the parameters "/Homepage:VideoFullscreen.xml /PushStartPage:True", this time WITH the quotes, otherwise WMC will crash on startup.

When you activate the launcher now it should launch WMC in LiveTV mode.

I like to have LiveTV in the main menu just like Films and Music to access it quickly, so if you want to do that, go ahead and edit Includes_MainMenu.xml in the 720p subfolder of you AEON skin folder (...\XBMC\skin\Aeon if you're not using any mod).
Find the part that says
Code:
<item id="21">
<description>Assistant</description>
<include>BackgroundVarsAssistant</include>                    
<label>31021</label>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(605)</onclick>
<visible>Skin.HasSetting(assistant)</visible>
</item>
and change it to
Code:
<item id="21">
<description>Live TV</description>
<include>BackgroundVarsAssistant</include>                    
<label>Live TV</label>
<onclick>RunPlugin(plugin://programs/Launcher/?Live TV)</onclick>
<visible>Skin.HasSetting(assistant)</visible>
</item>
If you named the launcher other than Live TV before, you have to paste your name in here after the ? in the <onclick> tag.
Save it, run XBMC and go to the configure Aeon screen and make the Assistant button be visible in the main menu.

There you go, you have a functional Live TV option in your Aeon main menu.

If you are using a remote, you might want to configure it with EventGhost to work with either XBMC or WMC depending on which one is currently being used (since they are both running now). Here is my configuration file for EventGhost so you can copy/edit/do whatever with it. It's for my X10 control, so if you are using a different one you will have to change the events and plugins and you might want to change some buttons to fit your preferences.

I hoped this helped some of you, it defintely made my experience with XBMC a lot more comfortable.

PS: In the EventGhost file, there is a sub-folder included which is configured to provide some sort of keyboard for your remote, so you can use it like a cell phone keypad. You might want to adjust the wait-times if it doesn't work out for you. It's proven very handy to me.
Wanted to say thank you. This worked beautifully.
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LiveTV with XBMC & Aeon (not native)0