XBMC Live (USB) Run as Root
Hello,

I've come across a few posts around the XBMC Wireless Network Manager, one says it isn't fully complete and another says it works if running as root, I imagine the later is true (and that the first post is stating it isn't working properly as the xbmc user).

Now, how can you run XBMC as root? I'm one of several people looking to run xbmc on a Zotac IONITX-A board, from a USB Flash Drive, with the ability for wireless, while I'm comfortable running the commands required to do it via the Shell, I know not everyone wants to do this.

Is it possible to run XBMC as root? I've looked at the Revo install in under 25 mins, which shows you how to do it for that setup, but XBMC Live does not follow the same approach.

Looking at the /usr/bin/runXBMC file it will attempt to run XBMC as the user xbmc if it detects you running as root - I know how to change that, but doing so causes nothing to load and the screen to flicker between a couple lines in the shell and black screens.

Any help would be appreciated. I know I may be way out in thinking this is possible, but I would love this ability (or have it work as-is in the next release)... we can always hope.

Thanks for the great work on this project, it is amazing how easy it is to use, yet so powerful.

Cheers,

Markus
Running XBMC as root is stupid at best.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live (USB) Run as Root0