[ATV] Not so FAQ?
So I just joined the appletv xbmc users, and while I am still reading/learning about the appletv itself and xbmc on it, I have some questions that so far I have not seen answers to or would like more details.

- ATV ram, can it be upgraded?
From what I can found, there are 2 memory slots and one is empty, but you would have to manually solder the chips on?

- HDMI audio - digital/multistream audio is a work in progress? I get hdmi audio to me tv only with analog + downmix to stereo. Not sure if its the tv or just not yet functional.

- atv video is set for 1080p, yet XBMC 'info' screen shows it running at 1280x720. Setting the video mode to 1920x1080 doesn't seem to do anything. This a user error or work in progress or the way it has to be?

- enabling the debug log, I can see it often approaching very low ram (1-6 megs free), does the macos manage the memory/cache/pagefile to prevent running completely out, or is OOM still a concern like with xbox? I haven't loaded any additional skins yet, running default pm3.hd, but I would like to run some of the newer skins if possible.

- running the default xbmc install via the patchstick/loader, I think it was 9.04. Have not loaded any svn builds, which may or may not affect any of the above questions.
TeknoJnky Wrote:So I just joined the appletv xbmc users, and while I am still reading/learning about the appletv itself and xbmc on it, I have some questions that so far I have not seen answers to or would like more details.

Well I have 2 ATVs on order so take that for what its worth when reading my answers.

Quote:- ATV ram, can it be upgraded?
From what I can found, there are 2 memory slots and one is empty, but you would have to manually solder the chips on?

An Apple TV teardown was done on the day it was available and from the looks of that very crowded mobo there is no room for any additional RAM even if you were 'good with tools'. (Classic George Carlin reference incase you missed it)

Teardown: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2951 (its on multiple pages so make sure you go to each one to see all the gory details.)

A quick search of the more geek savvy Apple TV hacker haunts says no... it's improbable. Some say if you had the skills, desire and wherewithal one could POSSIBLY desolder the 4 64 MB chips are replace them with larger ones but I have doubts of that actually happening successfully. Had someone actually preformed the delicate procedure you gotta know they'd put up a web page to commemorate the accomplishment.

Quote:- HDMI audio - digital/multistream audio is a work in progress? I get hdmi audio to me tv only with analog + downmix to stereo. Not sure if its the tv or just not yet functional.

I could have sworn something whizzed over head... Wink

This link may be of some help: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa...&tstart=45

The rest of the questions will be better answered by others.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave
Quote:- ATV ram, can it be upgraded?
No, unless you are very, very good at desoldering and resoldering ball-grid array chips. Someone on a the atv-bootloader mailing list checked to see if the required address lines were present for a larger RAM chip. I forget his result, mainly because while I can handle fine pitch leaded chips, I leave ball-grid array chips to the big boys.

Quote:- HDMI audio - digital/multistream audio is a work in progress? I get hdmi audio to me tv only with analog + downmix to stereo. Not sure if its the tv or just not yet functional.

Your TV can't handle it, read it's specs, see any AC3/DTS mentioned ? If you do select AC3/DTS do you hear the helicopters? That's AC3/DTS being presented and the TV not having a clue how to handle.

Quote:- atv video is set for 1080p, yet XBMC 'info' screen shows it running at 1280x720. Setting the video mode to 1920x1080 doesn't seem to do anything. This a user error or work in progress or the way it has to be?

Stick with 720p for now, XBMC for Mac has borked resolution control and 720p works best.

Quote:- enabling the debug log, I can see it often approaching very low ram (1-6 megs free), does the macos manage the memory/cache/pagefile to prevent running completely out, or is OOM still a concern like with xbox? I haven't loaded any additional skins yet, running default pm3.hd, but I would like to run some of the newer skins if possible.

Welcome to a modern operating system. What it does not need gets paged out to disk. The AppleTV always runs with little RAM free.

Quote:- running the default xbmc install via the patchstick/loader, I think it was 9.04. Have not loaded any svn builds, which may or may not affect any of the above questions.

None so far Smile Make sure you are running the latest Launcher. Launcher does more than just launch XBMC.
cool thanks for the details/confirmations.

I tried it without the ac3 and it seemed to work with digital, the tv itself doesn't say what kind of audio stream its getting. I assume if ac3 is unchecked its getting PCM.

Glad I don't have to worry so much about out of memory then.
I've spent the last week or so off and on trying to find a working guide/info on getting vnc/smb/etc working on a 2.4 atv.

I've tried using nitotv, but that did not seem work.

I've gone so far as trying to downgrade to 1.0, almost bricking it in the process, but managed to use patchstick in and copy the 2.4 os.dmg back and doing a factory restore.

So if anyone has a link, info, or experience getting this working on 2.4, I'd appreciate it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV] Not so FAQ?0