My XBMC setup
I figured I post my setup for anyone interested in doing something similar.

First, my PC is a Intel Core 2 Quad, 2 1TB drives in a RAID array, and a 1.5TB drive as a media drive in a hot-swappable drive bay. I also have 2 video cards, an ASUS EAH4550 HD and a ASUS 3450 HD (if I recall). Both have VGA, HDMI, and DVI outputs. The 4550 is used for my primary monitor and HDTV in another room, and the 3450 for a secondary display as shown below. The PC is in a PC room in my house.

Two problems I had to use XBMC downstairs where my HDTV is located.
1) Sending a picture to my HDTV downstairs and
2) controlling it remotely.

I'll address the sending picture challenge. Luckily, my house is wired for Cat5e, as shown in this picture:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6896/img6738n.jpg

I found HDMI extenders on eBay. First, I bought a powered extender. The weird thing was when my PC was off (which isn't often), the fans would still spin. The power was coming from the extenders! I bought a set of non-powered extenders and they worked fine. However, I only get 720p. 1080 is an unstable picture, perhaps due to cable length/bandwidth problems. But thats ok for me. I am holding the extender below:

Here's the other end behind the TV

So that took care of the HDMI signal. I use UltraMon to open XBMC on Monitor 3, being my HDTV.

Second was to control this from downstairs. I found a WMC remote on eBay for XP (after finding a generic Vista remote that didn't fully work). I plugged the USB IR receiver into my PC and the remote function worked. But how to control XBMC? After much experimenting and trial/error, I found Intelliremote the best solution. Now how to control it downstairs? I bought a USB extender for Cat5e off eBay but it didn't work very well. I bought another in-wall extender and that didn't work either. It would for a day or so, but it would drop the USB signal and I'd have to unplug and restart Intelliremote.

Then I came across RF extenders. I found a Philips one at Wal-Mart and it worked like a champ.

The Receiver:

The Sender (now located behind my desk out of the way)

I was able to get rid of the WMC remote itself and I now use my Harmony 880. I have an Activity called 'Start XBMC' which switches my TV to HDMI3 for the PC, and then 'Open XBMC' which starts the program.

Overall I am VERY pleased with this setup. I have all my video media on DVD's as DIVX so I copied them all to that media drive for easy access. Picture and sound is great as well. Thanks XBMC!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My XBMC setup0