XBMC Live network adapter issues on Zotac IONITX-A-U Motherboard
All,

I am an intermediate user of XBMC, both on original Xbox and Windows. I'm now trying my hand at configuring XBMC Live on a brand new Zotac Ion motherboard. I'm booting XBMC Live from an 8GB SanDisk USB key. This works flawlessly! XBMC boots reasonably quick and everything seems to work. I even got it to play 1080p video smoothly from an attached USB hard drive!!! My problem is that XBMC doesn't seem to see the onboard Gig netywork adapter, or the onboard miniPCI wireless network adapter. When I go into the XBMC network configuration screen, it shows the network interface as "eth1" and I can change that option to "wlan1" but all other options on the screen (Assignment, IP address, etc...) remain greyed out. My first question is, how can I verify if XBMC Live works with the onboard network adapters? If it isn't working, how can I load drivers?

My config is
XBMC Live version - 9.04.1
Motherboard - Zotac IONITX-A-U
USB memory key - SanDisk cruzer Titanium 8GB
Memory - 2 x 2GB Corsair xtreme DDR2

Please help, I really think that XBMC live is promising for a quick and easy setup, but I must have network access!!!!
Thanks
Pasqual
WLan setup is currently not available in XBMC, those greyed out settings needs admin rights. We work on making a userspace network configuration but no promises when it will be done due to wireless isn't that widespread when streaming HD.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks for the followup, but you only touch on the wlan config. Why can't I configure the wired LAN connection? Additionally, can anyone tell me if there is a way to troubleshoot in XBMC Live. I,ve never used Linux before. Do I have to edit some config files? Do I have to load a network driver for the nvidia chipset on this board? Please help!!!
I believe that the reason that they are greyed out is because the xbmc account doesn't have permissions to make changes to any of the network settings. That being said your gig lan connection should work put of the box and if you have DHCP on your network it should have received and address. If you need to assign a static IP address you should be able to do this via the putty and using the sudo command to edit you settings. Here is a guide to making those changes on ubuntu.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-ubun...ation.html
So long and thanks for all the fish.
Hitchiker, I think you have me pointed in the right direction! Using the online guide, I was able to go into Ubuntu through the XBMC Live (Safe Mode) option at startup and access the interfaces file. I remarked out the DHCP entry and un-remarked the static entries (which were already in the file,) and changed them to my network settings.
I noticed that XBMC Live uses "eth1" as the wired LAN adapter name, but in the interfaces file, there was only mention of "eth0" which as far as I can tell is a virtual local loopback adapter. I changed eth0 to eth1 in the interfaces file and rebooted.
When XBMC Live rebooted, I now had static IP address info in the network settings page!!! There was a DNS server address, but no DNS suffix information (it was blank.)
Despite the lack of DNS information, I went into the Videos section to add a source. When I chose browse, then Windows network (SMB) the system seemed to crash and reboot into the xbmc gui. No errors or anything! Can anyone think of what I'm missing hereHuh
Thanks!
Pasqual
It works! Hitchiker got me moving in the right direction and I found that for some reason, the /etc/network/interfaces file was setting DHCP on "eth0", but I had to change this to "eth1" to get the system to work. Once I did this, the wired network port received a DHCP address and the network was available! Now all I need to do is figure out how to get audio out through the HDMI connection. . .
pasqualz Wrote:It works! Hitchiker got me moving in the right direction and I found that for some reason, the /etc/network/interfaces file was setting DHCP on "eth0", but I had to change this to "eth1" to get the system to work. Once I did this, the wired network port received a DHCP address and the network was available! Now all I need to do is figure out how to get audio out through the HDMI connection. . .
Pasqualz
I have exp the same problem. Did you make any progress configuring your wireless nic card?

thx
Maindave
Maindave,

Once I got the wired network connection going, I aboned any efforts to setup the wireless NIC for two reasons.
1) HD content tends to stutter over my wireless network.
2) I had a wired network port nearby that i could use.

The best i can say is that it looks like Ubuntu does not have information pre-entered into the network settings for the wireless NIC. It should be a matter of searching the Internet for "Ubuntu live wireless network setup" pr something similar so that you can find the instructions and settings for adding the second NIC into the network settings.
Good luck
Pasqual

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live network adapter issues on Zotac IONITX-A-U Motherboard0