projectM presets not showing up
Hi,

My projectM presets disappeared a week or so ago from my mythtv box. Now when listening to music, I only get the default projectM w/ headphones preset.

I'm using the jaunty svn ppa builds of xbmc at the moment, and have placed presets in /usr/share/xbmc/visualizations and ~/.xbmc/visualizations in ~/projectM and ~/projectM.presets folders, but they still don't show up.

Am I missing a folder or something? Re-installs /w and w/o purging don't fix anything. I have PM3HD, Mediastream (and Redux), Rapier, and Transparency 2.0 installed.

Its not that big of a deal, hence the reason I've waited so long to fix it, but I would still like to get a fix.

Thanks!
See the stick regarding posting problems in a useful manner.
Interesting, I had the same issue after upgrading my svn few days ago. Would you mind copy and pasting the content of ~/.xbmc/userdata/visualisations/projectM.conf to pastebin and checking if the preset path set in there corresponds to the real location of the files ?

edit: and a copy of xbmc.log, as althekiller suggests Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Sorry, I so rarely have problems that I need to get help with, I forget how to properly submit a report!

Anyway, I ended up fixing my preset problem. My projectM.conf pointed to /usr/local/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM which is where I had all the zips stored. However, somehow permissions had gotten mixed up. Root had wxr to the storage directory but group only had r with user having nothing.

I just copied the whole folder to ~/.xbmc/visualizations/projectM, 777'd everything, and updated the path in the .conf. Now, I am once again enjoying pretty pictures with my music.

Thanks for nudging me in the right direction Big Grin
Confused im sure im missing something really silly here.
this is happening to me too.

i just rebuilt my box (in the sig) hooked into the svn-ppa.
(which makes me think this his happening to everyone & should be trak'd ?)

~/.xbmc/userdata/visualisations/projectM.conf showed
Preset Path = /usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM
where all the .milk files are @ -rw-r--r-- root root

i've tried
cp -dr /usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM ~/.xbmc/visualisations/
sudo chown xbmc:xbmc ~/.xbmc/visualisations/projectM/*
and updated projectM.conf... but still only the headphone

i've tried making all the ,milk files 777, but that made no diff
so i put them back at 644

~/.xbmc/userdata/visualisations/projectM.conf@ pastebin
~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log @ pastebin

what am i missing Huh
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
i think the only thing im missing is trak:8552
projectM preset loading has been broken since r26919 Sad

frankly im surprised there isn't more noise about this
it can keep the g|friend occupied for hours :p
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
This was annoying to me too. I tried all that I could think of to resolve it. Verified settings. Nothing seemed to work.

I uninstalled xbmc and found that even though it had been removed and I had deleted the .xbmc folder when i used locate to find the .conf file it was still listed. I reinstalled and tried again. Same issue. So I rebooted. Same issue. Then I searched for projectM.conf file to remove it. I couldn't find it where locate said it was supposed to be, besides I'd just deleted that folder.

My next thought was to clear up the database that locate uses. I did that by issuing the command:

sudo updatedb

After issuing that command the projectM presets were back.

Hope this helps someone else.
ProjectM again!

At some point down the line (I've been using the latest svn-ppa version), all visualization stopped working for me, perhaps since the r26919 bug?

I recently tried to remedy this during a system upgrade. I upgraded to mythbuntu 10.04 64-bit, rm'd the ~/.xbmc folder to get rid of crud from multiple xbmc/mythbuntu ugrades, re-symlinked database and thumbnail folders, and installed xbmc SVN:29791MS.

Using suggestions, xbmc is launched using:
EXEC LC_ALL='it_IT.UTF-8' /usr/bin/xbmc

OpenGL Spectrum and waveform now work, but switching to projectm crashes xbmc with no obvious error (snipped xbmc.log):

Code:
18:40:05 T:140369573132352 M:2947547136  NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
18:40:05 T:140369573132352 M:2947645440  NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, 2.6.33-020633-generic x86_64). Built on May  4 2010 (SVN:$
18:40:05 T:140369573132352 M:2947645440  NOTICE: special://xbmc/ is mapped to: /usr/share/xbmc
18:40:05 T:140369573132352 M:2947645440  NOTICE: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata
18:40:05 T:140369573132352 M:2947645440  NOTICE: special://home/ is mapped to: /home/xbmc/.xbmc
18:40:05 T:140369573132352 M:2947645440  NOTICE: special://temp/ is mapped to: /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp
18:40:05 T:140369573132352 M:2947645440  NOTICE: The executable running is: /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin
18:40:05 T:140369573132352 M:2947645440  NOTICE: Log File is located: /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
18:40:05 T:140369573132352 M:2947645440  NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
18:40:14 T:140368625178384 M:2885754880   DEBUG: CDatabase: Connecting to database MyMusic7 at /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Database:
18:40:14 T:140368625178384 M:2885906432   DEBUG: Thread 140368625178384 terminating
18:40:14 T:140369573132352 M:2885906432   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (MyMusicPlaylist.xml) ------
18:40:14 T:140369573132352 M:2886057984   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (MusicVisualisation.xml) ------
18:40:14 T:140369573132352 M:2886057984    INFO: Loading skin file: MusicVisualisation.xml
18:40:14 T:140369573132352 M:2886057984   DEBUG: ADDON: Dll Initializing - projectM
18:40:14 T:140369573132352 M:2886057984   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(special://xbmc/addons/visualization.projectm/projectM.vis)
18:40:14 T:140369573132352 M:2886057984   DEBUG: Loading: /usr/share/xbmc/addons/visualization.projectm/projectM.vis

I'm not sure what else to try. XBMC revision problem? Kernel problem? ProjectM still borked?
No ProjectM makes me a very unhappy boy.
now it's not a problem of locale (or, better, the locale problem is still there but it's not thet what is making xbmc crash... you have to manually add ~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/visualization.projectm (as far as i remember) to make it run, but it still doesn't find the presets, at least under i386, maybe you'll be luckier with amd64 Smile
Thanks succo! You gave me another nudge in the right direction. All projectm functions are now working again!

Creating ~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/visualization.projectm allowed projectM to launch without crashing XBMC (The first time I've seen the happily bouncing, headphoned logo in a while). Upon launch, projectm.conf was created in the newly created folder, but only the default visualization would play (Any idea why this is not created by default?).

Anyway, projectm.conf all looked good, except:
Preset Path = special://xbmc/addons/net.sf.projectm.xbmc/resources/presets.zip/

The only path I could find that was similar:
/usr/share/xbmc/addons/visualization.projectm/resources/presets.zip

Nonetheless, I created the folder ~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/visualization.projectm/presets, copied over 5000+ .milk files, and updated the Preset Path reference.

Still no dice, just the default projectm visualization. Looking at the projectm.conf file, every time the visualizer was launched, the Preset Path was reset to the default special:// path.

So, I changed the project.conf path back to /home/myusername/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/visualization.projectm/presets and chmod 555'd the projectm.conf file. On the next launch, pure visualization bliss!

Seems like projectm is re-writing the projectm.conf file at every launch. Disabling write access seems to have solved the problem for me. Is this the case on a 32-bit system as well?
Yes it is. Remember, SVN is in unstable right now with the addons merge. This will be resolved in due time.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:Yes it is. Remember, SVN is in unstable right now with the addons merge. This will be resolved in due time.

I understand that SVN can always be unstable, but that is the cost of being on the bleeding edge and helping test. Anyway, I hope this will help anyone else missing their projectM for the time being.

Can't wait till addons is merged, other code is all patched up, and vdr backend integration is seamless. So far, the addons manager is looking top notch. Been wanting easy plugin management for a long time! Thanks for all the great work!
Lepy Wrote:Thanks succo! You gave me another nudge in the right direction. All projectm functions are now working again!

Creating ~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/visualization.projectm allowed projectM to launch without crashing XBMC (The first time I've seen the happily bouncing, headphoned logo in a while). Upon launch, projectm.conf was created in the newly created folder, but only the default visualization would play (Any idea why this is not created by default?).

Anyway, projectm.conf all looked good, except:
Preset Path = special://xbmc/addons/net.sf.projectm.xbmc/resources/presets.zip/

The only path I could find that was similar:
/usr/share/xbmc/addons/visualization.projectm/resources/presets.zip

Nonetheless, I created the folder ~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/visualization.projectm/presets, copied over 5000+ .milk files, and updated the Preset Path reference.

Still no dice, just the default projectm visualization. Looking at the projectm.conf file, every time the visualizer was launched, the Preset Path was reset to the default special:// path.

So, I changed the project.conf path back to /home/myusername/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/visualization.projectm/presets and chmod 555'd the projectm.conf file. On the next launch, pure visualization bliss!

Seems like projectm is re-writing the projectm.conf file at every launch. Disabling write access seems to have solved the problem for me. Is this the case on a 32-bit system as well?

This hasn't completely worked for me on Ubuntu Lucid 32bit, with an xbmc svn checkout from earlier today. Creating the visualization.projectm folder has stopped the crash, but I'm still not seeing any additional presets, despite putting them in the same presets folder as you, updating the path in projectm.conf and chmod 555'ing the projectm.conf file.

I also noticed that default bouncy headphones preset no longer scales when I resize or maximize the window, it sits in the bottom left of the window surrounded by black space. I've set the size in projectm.conf to my desktop size so it works in fullscreen mode, but it would be nice if it scaled when I was running it windowed.

Just getting back into xbmc after using it years ago on a modded xbox. Would be ace to see ProjectM working again. Keep up the good work everyone!
Have you tried setting the locale? From other threads, this might be an issue with 32-bit.

I launch xbmc from the mythtv main menu using EXEC LC_ALL='it_IT.UTF-8' /usr/bin/xbmc but after my other changes, projectM is also working by laucnhing with just EXEC /usr/bin/xbmc. Try it any way, it should work from a terminal as well.

After listening to a bit of music today, all is working perfectly on Lucid 64-bit here. Perhaps 32-bit xbmc is just too borked at the moment?
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. I tried typing "EXEC LC_ALL='en_GB.UTF-8' /usr/bin/xbmc" into a terminal but just got "bash: exec: LC_ALL='en_GB.UTF-8: not found" Also tried it in the command entry on my panel launcher to no avail. :\ Clearly I don't know what I'm doing!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
projectM presets not showing up0