Batch Scripts To Rename Stuff To / From Your Library...
If you're looking at this forum, chances are you probably have a bunch of files, or will be dealing with a bunch of files at some point. So some batch scripting may come in handy if you're on Windows.

This script copies artist thumbnail pictures from your music folder to files named for the artist.

Example: It copies from
D:\Music\The Beatles\folder.jpg
D:\Music\The Beatles.jpg

(using the above example, YourPathHere would literally be D:\Music
Code:
FOR /r YourPathHere %%a IN (.) DO copy "%%~DPNa\folder.jpg" "%%~DPNa.jpg"
pause

All you do is put that text in an empty text file, save it, change the extension to .bat, and double click to run it.

I'll post a few more examples, and if anyone has any questions, post here! Smile
Catchy Signature Here
THANKS! This looks very useful.
Big Grin

I would like to figure out the best way to add artist thumbnails to my library.

Any ideas on how to make a script for that?

Say, if one had a directory "G:\artist_pics" and it contained files with artist's names that matched a folder name where the music was stored.

For example, the artist picture is in "G:\artist_pics\beatles, the.jpg" and the music files are in "G:\music\beatles, the\"

When I run the script, it would copy "beatles, the.jpg" to the "G:\music\beatles, the\" directory.
CPU:Intel 2100 3.1 Ghz RAM:Corsair 4 GB DD3-133 Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 mATX OS HDD: Corsair Nova Series 32GB SSD Storage HDD: WD Green 2 TB Video Card: ASUS EN210 SILENT ODD:
If you store each of your media files in separate subfolders to keep things organized, you can also make the folder have a custom thumbnail image. To do this you either need to save your JPG/PNG thumbnail as folder.jpg and place it inside your movie/album folder, or you can save it as <foldername>.tbn and place it at the same level as the folder in the directory tree.

Remember, XBMC first checks for <foldername>.tbn before checking for folder.jpg.
Smile 
If I do it that way with having the "folder.jpg" in each directory, when I look at my music in the library mode and then I look at the artist section, will the artists appear in there at the top?

I am trying to make it so that when I scroll through all my artists, there is an image of them, similar to how it looks like when I view the albums section.

Thanks for your reply!!!
CPU:Intel 2100 3.1 Ghz RAM:Corsair 4 GB DD3-133 Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 mATX OS HDD: Corsair Nova Series 32GB SSD Storage HDD: WD Green 2 TB Video Card: ASUS EN210 SILENT ODD:
as documented elsewhere on this forum and in the online manual, XBMC has a couple places it will automatically look at when scanning your artists into the Library. Here's how my crap is laid out:

All of my music (that's finished and ready for use in my library) is in D:\Music. I have a folder for each artist, and then a folder for each album.
Examples:
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\A Perfect Circle-2000-Mer De Noms
etc.

If you organize this way, XBMC will automatically look at each artist folder when scanning in. I use folder.jpg because its the most common style and works with most of the file browsing methods (and its what my tagging software outputs by default). So, if you wanted a thumbnail for The Beatles to show up in the Artists view in Library, you could put the picture you want here:
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\folder.jpg
You could also put in a "fanart" background if you wanted, likeso
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\fanart.jpg

Most of the good recent skins support music fanart at at least the artist level.

Also XBMC will do the same style of search for cover art, so like a file here:
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\A Perfect Circle-2000-Mer De Noms\folder.jpg
would become the cover art for that album in your library.

When you are doing art for your library, first you should check htbackdrops.com, since there are currently 835 artist thumbnail pictures there (and more every day). If you make your own, consider uploading them to that site since XBMC uses it and that way other people won't have to make their own artist pics and we can eventually have very solid automatic artist coverage.

And just so we're all clear about what we're talking about here, here's a screeny of the "Artists" node in my Music Library in the skin MediaStream Redux Mod:

You really can't see the fanart very well in the background, but it IS displaying for A Perfect Circle, which is currently highlighted (and is my example in this case).
Catchy Signature Here
Thanks so much. This is very useful for me. I am in the process of redoing my music library now as you have mentioned.

This is going to take longer than I thought.

As I collect artist thumbnails, I will definitely upload them to htbackdrops.com so others can use them. It will just take a while for me to get there Big Grin

Again, my thanks.

SleepyP Wrote:as documented elsewhere on this forum and in the online manual, XBMC has a couple places it will automatically look at when scanning your artists into the Library. Here's how my crap is laid out:

All of my music (that's finished and ready for use in my library) is in D:\Music. I have a folder for each artist, and then a folder for each album.
Examples:
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\A Perfect Circle-2000-Mer De Noms
etc.

If you organize this way, XBMC will automatically look at each artist folder when scanning in. I use folder.jpg because its the most common style and works with most of the file browsing methods (and its what my tagging software outputs by default). So, if you wanted a thumbnail for The Beatles to show up in the Artists view in Library, you could put the picture you want here:
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\folder.jpg
You could also put in a "fanart" background if you wanted, likeso
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\fanart.jpg

Most of the good recent skins support music fanart at at least the artist level.

Also XBMC will do the same style of search for cover art, so like a file here:
D:\Music\A Perfect Circle\A Perfect Circle-2000-Mer De Noms\folder.jpg
would become the cover art for that album in your library.

When you are doing art for your library, first you should check htbackdrops.com, since there are currently 835 artist thumbnail pictures there (and more every day). If you make your own, consider uploading them to that site since XBMC uses it and that way other people won't have to make their own artist pics and we can eventually have very solid automatic artist coverage.

And just so we're all clear about what we're talking about here, here's a screeny of the "Artists" node in my Music Library in the skin MediaStream Redux Mod:

You really can't see the fanart very well in the background, but it IS displaying for A Perfect Circle, which is currently highlighted (and is my example in this case).
Question 
Is there a script or program that you know of that will:

1. Read the "album" tag and "artist" tag from the MP3 and then
2. Create a directory with the artist name and then
3. Create a sub-directory within this newly created directory using the artist name and then
4. Move all of the MP3s with that album name into this newly created album directory?

For example, I have an mp3 file:

D:\Music\Misc_rock_1970_to_1980\Ram Jam - Black Betty.mp3

It has the album tag "Goin' South" and the artist tag "Ram Jam". So when I run the program or script, it takes:

and turns it into

D:\Music\Misc_rock_1970_to_1980\Ram Jam\Goin' South\Ram Jam - Black Betty.mp3
I think I answered my own question about this after a number of google searches. Here is what I came up with:

MP3 Tag Tools
http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/

It is old but seems to work for me.

I will post again if I have issues...

marcozd Wrote:Is there a script or program that you know of that will:

1. Read the "album" tag and "artist" tag from the MP3 and then
2. Create a directory with the artist name and then
3. Create a sub-directory within this newly created directory using the artist name and then
4. Move all of the MP3s with that album name into this newly created album directory?

For example, I have an mp3 file:

It has the album tag "Goin' South" and the artist tag "Ram Jam". So when I run the program or script, it takes:

and turns it into

D:\Music\Misc_rock_1970_to_1980\Ram Jam\Goin' South\Ram Jam - Black Betty.mp3
I'll add this to my "How To" thread.
Catchy Signature Here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Batch Scripts To Rename Stuff To / From Your Library...0