Minimum requirements for 1080p with VDPAU? (Benchmarks possible?)
Question 
Hello,

I was searching the wiki and the forum for minimum requirements for HD playback with VDPAU enabled hardware, but I dind't find any information. Maybe the question has an easy answer, but it seems more complex to me.

Reasons for my question:
  1. I have a HTPC with an AMD onboard graphic chipset, but as long as XvBA seems to be closed source forever, I am thinking of using a very cheap NVidia graphic card to help my "small" CPU (AMD 4850e) with those complex 1080p movies. But does the graphic ram and ram bus size matter for VDPAU?

2. I am thinking of buying a Netbook with the ION platform, like the Samsung N510 which has a very weak N270 Atom and only 1GB of ram. Is this enough for XBMC to run smoothly (maybe with a minimalistic skin?) in the menues and decode 1080p? The ION chipset used in the Samsung N510 seems to be a "light" version without DX10 features, does this matter for VDPAU decoding?

My ideas:
Maybe a "VDPAU (or generic video decoding) benchmark" can be integrated into XBMC Live with a standard film (e.g. Big buck bunny), but after reading some topics about the "dropped frames" I am not sure if this is possible at all. If it is possible, perhaps the influence of different skins (if there is any) can also be shown.

Furthermore a page in the wiki with some information could be added. I can add the information myself if needed. Naturally this is only possible if I receive some answers. A big plus is that stupid questions like this may bother the Devs less in the future.

Any help is really appreciated. Sorry if the information I am asking for is already lying in front of me...
I can't give you any benchmarks but I can tell you that as long as you're not using advanced deinterlacers, any VDPAU-capable card can produce smooth playback of 1080p content on virtually any CPU.

I had a Celeron 2.13 ghz with 512MB and a 8400GS pci card (512 RAM) playing back 1080p with ~10% CPU usage.
This should handle VDPAU fine for $199 US

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=58853
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimum requirements for 1080p with VDPAU? (Benchmarks possible?)0