Questions @ Sata-Controller
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I bought an Zotac Ion Mainboard to build a small HTPC with XBMC. But now I have something complete different on my mind. Sad

At first I wanted a small ITX-Case, but I haven't found anything matching my optical needs. So I discovered that ITX-Mainboards will fit in a ATX-Case.

There are plenty of beautiful HTPC-Cases, and some of them can carry 6 internal 3,5"-harddisks. Since my little server is only used for storing files for streaming to the tv I thought, I could use the new HTPC and his 6 possible HDDs...

But, the Zotac has only 3 Sata-ports.

So I found this one: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=xrR7wto9Z5BL42aU

Could I use the PCI-Port for an additional Sata-Card/Controller? Confused

Any help i highly appreciated! ^^
There are several PCI and PCIe SATA Controllers. You would have to check if they are slim enough to fit your case (if it is a low profile case) but there is no reason why this shouldn't work. One thing you have to keep in mind is cooling: Lots of hard disk make a lot of heat and you normally want your HTPC as quiet as possible. You would also have to make sure the PSU is strong enough for the HDDs and all the other hardware.
ccMatrix Wrote:Lots of hard disk make a lot of heat and you normally want your HTPC as quiet as possible.

Maybe you are right, and I'm underestimating the amount of heat I have to take care of. I guess I should stick to my original plan.

Zotac with an Lian-Li-Case and two HDDs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions @ Sata-Controller0