Win7 video issue
Having issues with playing any type of video (sd/hd xvid/x264) in the xbmc player.

Not sure how to explain the problem, but its like half the picture updates a frame later then the other, so i get like a weird annoying line in the middle when there is too much movement.

this only happens in xbmc. Every video (Even 1080p) plays just fine in mplayer classic and vlc

iv had this problem both times iv tried running win7 on my htpc. In vista i did not have this problem

Im running Windows 7 x64 RTM and this is the hardware:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7200
RAM: 4gb 800mhz ddr2
GFX: Ati HD 3600

problem is "sorta" fixed by setting up mplayer classic as default player in xbmc, but would really like the internal xbmc player to work if possible.

Hope someone know whats causing the problem
It sounds like your getting tearing of your videos;

Go to Settings->Appearance->Screen and set "Vertical blank sync" to "Always enabled".
Huh, thanks alot, that seems to have fixed it!

Just a question tho, why do i need to do this in win7 but not in vista? (just curious)

thanks for the help!
Your welcome

I would guess it was driver related if it doesnt occur in vista. I wouldt worry though, it is an extreamly common issue, and the sync change does usually fix it.
It's possible that the vista video driver had v-sync on by default at the driver level. It's also possible that that is misinformation that I just made up. I guess it is equally possible that the ghoul Dyrstggr cast a grim spell upon Windows 7 forcing it to not automatically use v-sync. Who can say about these things?

Edit: This was directed at myself and not at hamd. If that wasn't clear.
Win 7 + Ati video card + xbmc on second display 1080p

I did with the tearing for months. Until I tried this
- DISABLE V sync in xbmc
- Enable default smooth video options + auto refresh in the video options

And then miracle no more flickering / line in the middle when image is moving fast.

I could not explain why, but it completely removed the flickering.
Not sure which version you're using but for the DX version vsync is always on. The disable option doesn't work yet Rolleyes
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I am running an "old" 22503 open GL, before the DX merge.

To be more precise, the settings are as follows
- Xbmc sync playback to display / audio clock: ON
- Xbmc adjust refresh rate: ON
- Xbmc Vertical blank sync: OFF
- Ati CCC 9.9 wait for vertical refresh: ON unless application specifies

My experience with my current hardware is that if you let the vertical sync on in xbmc you get the flickering / Tearing
Just wanted to share as it is quite the opposite of most of the advises you can read in the forum.
Plus I was SOOO pleased to at last being able to play movies with a good image with the defaut player (I admit I never tried the external player I think it goes against the purpose of xbmc / simplicity of the software)
I am running Windows 7 x64bit Evga 260 video card with the latest stable version of XBMC and I can say I am having the same issues with using Ultra Mon sending XBMC to my second display 46" TV.

I can't wait to go home and try this to see if it works!

Thanks,

Jeff

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win7 video issue0