AC3/DTS "cuts" SPDIF signal on Zotac ION N330
I havent been running 24p I have just been running with the standard 50hz for my tv. And the sounddrops have kept recurring
here is my xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/m114cb924
Asrock Vision 3D 241B
Try to start xbmc with the following command and see if things get any better:

pasuspender -- xbmc
EDIT: GOOD NEWS: i wanted to confirm that i have not experienced any more sound cuts after reset of bios to optimized values, reinstalling ubuntu 9.04 desktop version without updates!!! and latest xbmc svn! test consisted of 2 series and 2 movies. (2x dd 5.1 and 2x dts)

old post:

just watched a full episode with dd 5.1 @ 50hz with nvidia 190 and fresh installed, NOT updated ubuntu 9.04 with no audio drops (Kernel 2.6.28-11)

i didn't run any apt-get upgrade after fresh install, just xbmc and xbmc svn

i also watched some stuff that had drops before, i failed to noticed any!

what i also did:

- set bios to "optimzed values" (might have something to do with it?)
- connected via hdmi now instead of seperate audio/video connection through my AMP (not sure, i don't think it could have something to do with it)

i will be able to try more this weekend

about pulseaudio: i deinstalled it completly and still had dropouts, but hey, nothing to loose by trying and thanks for the tip!
anyone with an zotac ion, can you please reset your bios to optimized values and try out if you still get audio drops? if that does the trick its not the kernel update making problems.

i think i set stuff like ahci etc.

other thing is that its all connected via hdmi now through the AMP, not sure if that makes the difference.
hm... i try to find an "optimized value" option in my asrock ion 330 bios, but i dont found something like this. Where is this option in the Zotac Bios ?
Asrock Vision 3D 241B
last page, the one where you can "save & exit" bios, or just load "fail safe defaults" / "optimized defaults/values"

feel free to PM me for ICQ/MSN Contact info if you need any direct quick help
so just a small update.

- Set Asrock BIOS to "Load Optimized Settings IDE/SATA"
- installed ubuntu 9.04 Desktop (NO updates installed, deactivated all kernel updates etc.)
- installed nvidia 190 drivers
- installed xbmc
- installed xbmc-svn

Tested since 2 days and i havn't seen any Sound Cut Smile!

Problem fixed ? I don't know 100%?!
Asrock Vision 3D 241B
just a small update from me too:

no more sound cuts, just don't install any updates after you install 9.04 Desktop.

100% fine here so far!

/cheers!
Hello,

I read your progress on the problem. I've been trying to find out what this problem was for a while now.

I'm glad to hear that there is a "sollution" to the problem. But my only problem is that my Zotac ION system also functions as my download and important data server. This means I would like to keep the system as up to date as possible (at least security wise).

The thing is I have my Zotac connected through optical to my Marantz SR7400 AMP (not the cheapest I believe) and I get the audio skipping. But when I connect the system to my brothers Onkyo (don't know which one at the moment) there is no skipping at all.

So this leads me to believe it's a AMP problem? Or not?

Just installed a fresh Ubuntu, just updated before i read the post about not updating Sad. But I will try to do a BIOS reset.

I also found this post Where a anonymous poster says it fixed the problem for him, but the post is about HDMI patch or something and my AMP does not support HDMI. I tried changing the "pcm "hw:0,3" to 0,1" but that totally crapped the sound. But then again I am a total Linux NOOB so I don't know what I'm doing.

I hope this can get us closer to a proper fix. If I can do anything to help please ask.
alumin Wrote:I have the same issue when it comes to sound drops: Ubuntu Jaunty, XBMC SVN (a few days old), ALSA v1.0.21, e-mu 1820 soundcard.

Other sound issues are: Load pop when booting. No sound when resuming from standby (S3).

Regarding sound drops I have had: It was a bad cable between the pci card and the dock that caused this:o
Oops!
an update from me as well.

I've updated to karmic, made a clean install of karmic. Updated to the xbmc alpha version, as well as the nvidia drivers to 190.42 and the problem still persists.

I've also tried swapping the optical cable, tried another optical port in my reciever as well disabling advance path in bios setting, nothing seems to work Sad

Anyone gotten closer to a solution? Except from installing 9.04 and not updating the software.
after watching several movies, tv series etc. WITHOUT (so good beeing able to finally say that Smile ANY DROPS i will definitly just leave this machine at this stock install state without any system updates until the problem is really isolated, found and fixed Smile

clean install of ubuntu 9.04 desktop without updates > enjoy your movies/series without drops
I just tried a clean install of 9.04, no updates, just Nvidia 190.42 and XBMC jaunty via ppa.

And I am still having soundcuts.... :'(

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC3/DTS "cuts" SPDIF signal on Zotac ION N3300