Media Fanart/Artwork Guide
joebrady Wrote:Well, Transparencey! is the only skin to officially support it. Reaven's Aeon Mods can work different ways....I have all of mine in one folder so I didn't have to create a seperate folder for each artist.

Cool, I've added it.

The Transparency! solution is neater (imo). It would be nice if at least all the skins agreed on something LIKE this:

Somefolder\
---- somemediafile.ext
---- folder.jpg
---- fanart.jpg
---- Custom Skin Art\
-------- Common\ <---- for all common 'hacked' art
------------ all the 'hacked' art in here
-------- Aeon\
------------ anything proprietary to Aeon
-------- Transparency\
------------ anything proprietary to Transparency

it's still not perfect but keeps things tidier and helps avoid conflicts. Otherwise folks forget which artwork is 'hacked' and which is legit XBMC! etc
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7303#comment:1
a few of us did a TONNE of work on this...

http://xbmc-media-art-proposal.wikidot.com/

it goes way beyond just the CDart. it's a very comprehensive overhaul of artwork and the naming conventions to fix all the 'landscape' vs 'portrait' hassle for thumbs, and all manner of common art types like banner, poster, cover, moviestill etc etc...

Also, it fixes the need to have the art side by side with the media... (it's ok to have it side by side), but the proposal allows for art to be stored elsewhere in a flat folder if need be.
Does anybody still use those transparent thumbs / TV logos somebody was promoting for a while?

I do want to document things comprehensively, but I don't want to clutter up the documentation with real oddball skin hacks that nobody uses anymore, or only a pro would understand (and thus not need it documenting here!)
Not personally, but I believe there is still interest.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=clearart

Note: ClearArt and CdArt images are available at www.xbmcstuff.com

and PPic also made a plugin for downloading clearart and thumbs from the site (no cdart yet)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=clearart
a big thumbs up to you for this comprehensive guide!

it saves me a lot of time explaining things to new users over and over again. now i can just point them to this thread.
please consider adding this to the wiki so your work won't get lost between all the other threads over time.

AnalogKid Wrote:Does anybody still use those transparent thumbs / TV logos somebody was promoting for a while?

Transparency! uses it. i've implemented it in the same way as the cdArt.
just store the image alongside the other images in your tv show folder:

-- TV Show\
---- tvshow.nfo (1)
---- folder.jpg (2)
---- fanart.jpg (3)
---- clearart.png

storing clearart images in a skin subfolder (Aeon mod) is bad practice imo. it rules out cross-skin compatibility in every way. though i realise these are all hacks and none are perfect, not even mine.
so yes, some kind of consensus across skins on where to store custom hacks would be best, but native xbmc support would be better of course.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:a big thumbs up to you for this comprehensive guide!

it saves me a lot of time explaining things to new users over and over again. now i can just point them to this thread.
please consider adding this to the wiki so your work won't get lost between all the other threads over time.

Transparency! uses it. i've implemented it in the same way as the cdArt.
just store the image alongside the other images in your tv show folder:

-- TV Show\
---- tvshow.nfo (1)
---- folder.jpg (2)
---- fanart.jpg (3)
---- clearart.png

storing clearart images in a skin subfolder (Aeon mod) is bad practice imo. it's rules out cross-skin compatibility in every way. though i realise these are all hacks and none are perfect, not even mine.
so yes, some kind of consensus across skins on where to store custom hacks would be best, but native xbmc support would be better of course.

Couldn't agree more. Let's hope nobody ever makes a TV Show called "ClearArt" ;-)

I'll add the update to the OP!.
Fantastic thread! Would have been great to have this like 2 months ago. This will be a big help for n00bs in the future!

Now if only music fanarts actually worked with compilation / various artists albums... *sigh* Sad
Great Post wish I had this when I first started out now all you need is someway to point all the new users to this as you say the search is not the best.
I Use clearart and cdart and agree all the art should be at artist/tvshow level.
AnalogKid Wrote:******** Hierarchical Music Structure (Recommended)

-- Artist\
---- folder.jpg (2)
---- fanart.jpg (3)
---- Album\
------- 01 - Some Track.mp3 (2)
------- folder.jpg (2)
------- fanart.jpg (3)
------- cdart.png (3) *custom hack

How does it work when you have CD 1 and CD 2 subdirectories in the Album folder?

Do you need to have folder.jpg in those as well?
fnwc Wrote:How does it work when you have CD 1 and CD 2 subdirectories in the Album folder?

Do you need to have folder.jpg in those as well?

I don't know the answer off the top of my head but, I will investigate this and post the results on the OP sometime today.
I keep all my album tracks in one album folder and tag them as Disk 1/2 Disk 2/2, but will test with your use case!
(although it's easy to try for yourself!).
Updated to include the CD1 and CD2 scenario for music. :-)
AnalogKid Wrote:I don't know the answer off the top of my head but, I will investigate this and post the results on the OP sometime today.
I keep all my album tracks in one album folder and tag them as Disk 1/2 Disk 2/2, but will test with your use case!
(although it's easy to try for yourself!).

Thanks. I'd try myself but I'm having issues with XMBC loading the correct info in, even with the layout suggested. For example, I may have

root\Jay-Z\fanart.jpg
root\Jay-Z\folder.jpg
root\Jay-Z\artist.nfo
root\Jay-Z\2009 - The Blueprint 3\album.nfo
root\Jay-Z\2009 - The Blueprint 3\folder.jpg

For some reason, when I set the source to the root, XBMC still looks up and loads its own thumbs/fanart, rather than using the ones that are in the directory.

Movies work fine, though.
fnwc Wrote:Thanks. I'd try myself but I'm having issues with XBMC loading the correct info in, even with the layout suggested. For example, I may have

root\Jay-Z\fanart.jpg
root\Jay-Z\folder.jpg
root\Jay-Z\artist.nfo
root\Jay-Z\2009 - The Blueprint 3\album.nfo
root\Jay-Z\2009 - The Blueprint 3\folder.jpg

For some reason, when I set the source to the root, XBMC still looks up and loads its own thumbs/fanart, rather than using the ones that are in the directory.

Movies work fine, though.

Interesting... I've just updated to SVN 23658 and I'm having trouble with XBMC picking up fanart from the music...but it's fine with the folder.jpg.

Might be a temporary glitch in the SVN build (I hope!).
Yeah, same here. It picks up folder.jpg but fanart.jpg gets ignored. Weird.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Fanart/Artwork Guide4