PROBLEM: Jumpy horizontal lines during video playback
Hello ppl ... !!!

I have big annoy problem during video playback.
I cant get rid of those jumpy/tear/spall horizontal lines on upper/central side of video picture.
It seems that vsync options doesn't affect at all although I tried all possible setups of them. Maybe I missing something ??!!
Mostly I get those lines in fast scenes.

I run XBMC on extended display (LCD 1920x1080) forced with UltraMon.
Now I run W7 and I didn't have those lines on XP.
I tried many other players like KMplayer, GOM, MPC HC, VLC and all play perfect and i get just fine picture with them.

Here is my log ... http://pastebin.com/m16a4fc6

If u need more information or SS just say ... regards !!!
i can only get rid of the tearing if I adjust my v-sync settings in my video drivers control panel.
Tearing is always due to how only part of the render is refreshed everytime the screen is refreshed. Turning v-sync on forces the entire render to refresh each time the screen does.

Turn on v-sync, and tearing should go away, but doing so may cause slow downs and dropped frames if your hardware isn't powerful enough.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
joshuass Wrote:Tearing is always due to how only part of the render is refreshed everytime the screen is refreshed. Turning v-sync on forces the entire render to refresh each time the screen does.

Turn on v-sync, and tearing should go away, but doing so may cause slow downs and dropped frames if your hardware isn't powerful enough.

I think that my rig is still powerful enough.
C2D 8600, ATI 4850, 4GB of ram.
I tried to turn on v-sync in XBMC but its seems that doesn't effect on picture at all. I tried even in CCC but that doesn't work too.
Ok i found reason why it happening to me Smile
I use Ultramon to force xbmc on second display and i have some problems coz xbmc is not compatibility with Aero theme ...
xbmc can`t fill the screen right.
I found solution for that in:
XBMC.exe/Rclick/properties/compatibility/disable visual theme, disable desktop composition, disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

And that for some reason affect on vSync i.e. disable it Sad

When I run XBMC with unchecked compatibility settings I don't have tearing i.e. vSync working, but then my screen is not filled right.
I have looked everywhere and cannot find any settings for v-sync... In both my graphics properties and xbmc.

I am running the intel q45 chipset and latest version of xbmc.

I have only slight tearing but it is annoying!
luckysob Wrote:I have looked everywhere and cannot find any settings for v-sync... In both my graphics properties and xbmc.

Last few versions r working really nice, and there is no need for program such Ultramon.
Even I dont need vSync option to be enabled ... I get fluid and good preview without it Smile
Only thing what I notice is that DX version is not fluid like OG version in Transparency skin animations ... animation of moving menus r lil bit jerkys, but I can live with that Smile

But if u still need vSync option, look in:
Settings/appearance/screen/Vertical blank sync
luckysob Wrote:I have looked everywhere and cannot find any settings for v-sync... In both my graphics properties and xbmc.

Look for asynchronus page flipping in intel 3d settings. setting ot to off = vsync on!
Thanks, I found this last night... although its a little better still happening. Looks like I may need to break down and buy a video card. :mad:
If you can hold off. Wait for the lower end 5000 series of the ATI card they support more audio features when using HDMI.

Or if you like nVidia, you could always go with them for their VDAPU support which works with Linux only.
ATI HD3200 Onboard
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
Hi All,
I am experiencing the exact same issue.
I've tried the fix that helped Zrino, although in XP I could only check - 'disable visual theme'. It made things better but still compared to VLC it is pretty bad.

here are my details:
1. IBM ThinkPad T42
2. OS: Windows XP - SP3 32bit
3. Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.7Ghz
4. Memory: 1.5GB
5. Video Card: ATI Mobility RADEON 7500/ Driver: 6.14.10.6547
6. Resultion: 1024x768
7. XBMC Ver: 9.04.1-repack2

XBMC log: http://pastebin.com/m769ffedc
mediainfo log: http://pastebin.com/m136e5332

any ideas what can I do to make it work better?

Thanks!!!!
Hold up for a bit on it. Devs are releasing an alpha for the next stable build shortly. Either go back to an older build or wait for bit as their main focus is squashing bugs for the next release.

And for those that are running 9.04... try to enable vsync. That should help with some of the tearing.
ATI HD3200 Onboard
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
[sorry, I did not see I was in Windows section]

I think I have a similar problem. When I watch a movie I get those minor flickering (horizontal lines). I had the same problem with mplayer in X, but since I changed from "gl2" to "gl" everything is fine. Is there a similar setting in xbmc for Linux?
I have this problem as well, tearing lines in both playback and in menu (when scrolling through movies and TV-series). I have enabled v-sync in xbmc and have it on "force on" in my graphics card settings. So I don't think v-sync is the problem for me.

zebbeman Wrote:[sorry, I did not see I was in Windows section]
but since I changed from "gl2" to "gl" everything is fine.

What's "gl" and how do I enable that? did that solve the problem just for mplayer or xbmc as well?

[EDIT] I'm using XBMC 9.11 beta 1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PROBLEM: Jumpy horizontal lines during video playback0