Multiple Sessions
Dear,

My current setup (using an ASRock 330 and XMBC) is working well for me but now I want to extend the functionality of this PC.

I want your opinion if the following is possible (and maybe some tips to realize it)
  • Multiple sessions: I'm running the XMBC session as default so that it boots nicely and directly in XMBC. Can I have a second session run simultaneously when it boots up? How do I configure that it runs automatically ? Is it then also possible to remote control that session (VNC probably).
  • Dreaming mode Big Grin : would it be possible to use the Desktop Cube of Ubuntu to switch between the XMBC and another Xwindow session ? It would be quite impressive that if I want to search the internet I could quickly "Cube-switch" to another Xsession

Thanks for the tips!
Quote:Multiple sessions: I'm running the XBMC session as default so that it boots nicely and directly in XBMC. Can I have a second session run simultaneously when it boots up? How do I configure that it runs automatically ? Is it then also possible to remote control that session (VNC probably).
Of course it is possible. VNC is a possibility, but tricky to autostart the session. I have not found a VNC server that creates sessions add-hoc. I recommend that you use NX server instead.
Compiz Fusion (The cubed desktop) doesn't play nice with XBMC. You can try but it will likely cause issues. It's probably possible in some fashion but the difficult part would be to connect the sessions together so that the cube can traverse them.

In order to have two XBMCs running at the same time they'd have to log in as different users, and run on seperate X displays, switching between them should be possible using various methods.

Two XBMCs running at the same time would likely consume a large amount of CPU time.
Yep , that is what I thought. So the dreaming solution will most likely not be usable.

So I have to try to find a way to start two sessions (XBMC and another standard xWindow) at the same time. I'll try to find more details about the NX server.

Any tips or suggestions are still welcome.
ASRock330 Wrote:I'll try to find more details about the NX server.
You shouldn't have to, in order to VNC into a running X Session you can use x11vnc.
Quote:You shouldn't have to, in order to VNC into a running X Session you can use x11vnc.
Yes, but the problem with most vnc including x11vnc is to connect and add-hoc start a backgroun session. I know it is possible but it is not turn-key.
Use xinetd to create ad-hoc sessions
See this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=122402

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple Sessions0