[LINUX] Unable to install ubuntu on revo.
Hi there.

I will briefly explain my situation, maybe someone can help.

Objective: install XBMC in some form, that works with HD content AND wifi.

Situation:
1. I have an Acer Revo and NO USB DVD/CD, only a firewire DVD (which I'm telling about just for the kicks).
2. I am linux ULTRA noob.

Attempts I have made:
A0. tried installing XBMC Live to my HDD --> SUCCESS
A1. no way to get Wifi to work Oo

B0. tried installing Windows and subsequently XBMC --> SUCCESS
B1. No way to get hardware acceleration (no HD) Oo

C0. tried installing ubuntu --> FAILED

Risen problems:
A0.
Unable to manually get WIFI working whatever I tried.
Tried many alternatives including this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post415047

and then stumbled upon this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834
which I have yet to try, but I need WEP not WPA...

C0.
Unable to install UBUNTU
Installed ubuntu from USB stick via UNEBOOTIN => copy ISO to USB PEN DRIVE > Install > Error during install... won't recognize the HDD to install onto.
Error = "Gave up waiting for root device"

This is NOT a disk spinup / ready problem (tried typing 'exit' as many posts suggested but to no avail.

Tried setting disk to AHCI - RAID - SATA, no go; in all cases I get pushed back to Busybox.
I there try and "ls /boot" > not found.

I read heaps and HEAPS of stuff concerning ubuntu, XBMC Live...
I've been on it over a week with no success.
also my linux-guru friend tried to sort it out but failed miserbly.

HELP!! PLEASE! WILL OFFER ITALIAN FOOD AND WOMEN Laugh
I have no idea why you cant install Ubuntu on the HD, someone else can probably help you.

If nothing else works you could use the Live=>HD installation as base and add the other stuff you need to get an ubuntu desktop where you can get the wifi to work without too much linux hacki hacki.
You could also try to install Ubuntu to an SD card in case that for any reason works better than the HD.

If you want to add gnome to the Live:
sudo apt-get install gnome-core network-manager

To kill "live" and get normal login:
sudo apt-get install gdm

BTW: As long as ubuntu has a driver for the wifi card it is possible to get to work with live as well but you have to do it from command line.
(It is not recommended but you can also start xbmc as root and try to config wifi from inside xbmc)
vikjon0 Wrote:I have no idea why you cant install Ubuntu on the HD, someone else can probably help you.

If nothing else works you could use the Live=>HD installation as base and add the other stuff you need to get an ubuntu desktop where you can get the wifi to work without too much linux hacki hacki.

Been there, tried that, cnetworkmanager and the likes... but to install it I need network manager => tried installing => conflicts with XBMC Live => Remove XBMC Live package.

thanks, but no thanks.

vikjon0 Wrote:You could also try to install Ubuntu to an SD card in case that for any reason works better than the HD.

This won't work, when I boot the UBUNTU LIVE CD via USB it just will send me to the busybox, without even having the installation show up. Sad

vikjon0 Wrote:If you want to add gnome to the Live:

Ok this managed to install successfully, but... what do I do now?
vikjon0 Wrote:To kill "live" and get normal login:
sudo apt-get install gdm

Is this undoable? Will it affect my ability to boot or run XBMC LIVE?
If you wish to contact me via messenger, write me a pm, I would be very grateful!

vikjon0 Wrote:(It is not recommended but you can also start xbmc as root and try to config wifi from inside xbmc)
How would I do this?

Thanks,

I'll add some WINE to the reward too if I manage to get this going!!!
Not 100% sure about revo, but I do know that to boot usb from Zotac Ions you need to plug in the usb and go to bios...
1st choose Hard Disk menu and change the order so the USB stick is above your HD
2nd - change boot order to start with usb first. (must do first step 1 to get 2nd step working)

Hope this might help. I just know I got stuck for a bit on this one.

Zepp
HW : Multiple Asrock 330HT + NAS
SYS: xbmc-live 10.0
Zeppstar Wrote:Not 100% sure about revo, but I do know that to boot usb from Zotac Ions you need to plug in the usb and go to bios...
1st choose Hard Disk menu and change the order so the USB stick is above your HD
2nd - change boot order to start with usb first. (must do first step 1 to get 2nd step working)

Hope this might help. I just know I got stuck for a bit on this one.

Zepp

Thanks, I am way past that point, but nonetheless your participation is much appreciated, man!
I had similar issues with my revo for booting off usb, this is what helped me.
1 download and install HP USB disk storage Format tool
2 format your external in FAT (not FAT32)
3 i installed Virtual box on my mac and instaled ubuntu on it and made a USB start disk from the utils built in.

On the Acer boot it up hit DEL and disable the Revo acer boot thinger and change the bootable USB disk option from Auto to Hard Drive

That worked for me

Drew
Thanks, but * phew * what a workaround... at every shot I take at linux, my idea of it being a ridiculous operating system (to be polite) increases exponentially together with the countless hours of my life I WASTE trying to getting it to work.

* sigh *

I'll give it yet ANOTHER shot with your idea tomorrow. See how it goes then.
If there happen to be any other suggestions, please post them so I can test them tomorrow too

Thanks again,
gg
Quote:Originally Posted by vikjon0
If you want to add gnome to the Live:

Ok this managed to install successfully, but... what do I do now?

In order to test this approach:
1) Boot -press ESC and select safe-mode.
2) Login
3) startx

This will start the gnome desktop. Then see what the network manager says and we continue from there.
Quote:Is this undoable? Will it affect my ability to boot or run XBMC LIVE?
If you wish to contact me via messenger, write me a pm, I would be very grateful!
It will probably screw-up the live start-up. It is not very easy to run wifi with Live.

You could skip this all together and search for informationa about how to setup wifi from command line. It is not that hard...but you will have to do some searching.
Quote:Thanks, but * phew * what a workaround... at every shot I take at linux, my idea of it being a ridiculous operating system (to be polite) increases exponentially together with the countless hours of my life I WASTE trying to getting it to work.

* sigh *

Maybe I am missing something here... Is the problem with install Ubuntu that the installation iso does not boot correctly from USB or that it does not find the HD? Did you get as far as the partitioner in the installation process?

Of course you have to correctly create a bootable USB the sameway as you did with the XBMCLive CD and I assume the windows. This has nothing to do with Ubuntu being a bad OS. It is a BIOS thing and a not having a CD player thing.

If you boot from the Ubuntu Desktop iso and select the "Ubuntu Live" option and start the OS:
1) Does it boot?
2) Can you access the wifi?
3) Can you see the harddisk?
vikjon0 Wrote:In order to test this approach:
1) Boot -press ESC and select safe-mode.
2) Login
3) startx

This will start the gnome desktop. Then see what the network manager says and we continue from there.

It will probably screw-up the live start-up. It is not very easy to run wifi with Live.

You could skip this all together and search for informationa about how to setup wifi from command line. It is not that hard...but you will have to do some searching.

After doing what you suggested further up (not the quoted instructions), I managed to install the mini iso and then downloaded 1Gb of components/modules and after rebooting the Ubuntu managed was FINALLY on my HDD.

Basically I installed the mini iso successfully and then bloated it with all the components. It took me two hours.

After that I installed the XBMC and the Nvidia drivers.

Now UBUNTU DOES NOT BOOT ANYMORE, it hangs at "Loading hardware drivers".

I can't therefore try what you suggested in the above post.

Ok, I might have got the wrong drivers... but it wasn't very clear... and WHY on EARTH can I not boot up using a SAFE boot??

I don't want to reinstall everything again!! * Whines loudly *

Single user does not work also... as a first experience this is super-frustrating.

But thanks for your support.
vikjon0 Wrote:Maybe I am missing something here... Is the problem with install Ubuntu that the installation iso does not boot correctly from USB or that it does not find the HD? Did you get as far as the partitioner in the installation process?

Of course you have to correctly create a bootable USB the sameway as you did with the XBMCLive CD and I assume the windows. This has nothing to do with Ubuntu being a bad OS. It is a BIOS thing and a not having a CD player thing.

If you boot from the Ubuntu Desktop iso and select the "Ubuntu Live" option and start the OS:
1) Does it boot?
2) Can you access the wifi?
3) Can you see the harddisk?

Basically the UNETBootin makes my USB Pen drive bootable.
When the initial menu pops up I have 3 options:

1. Default
2. Help
3. OEM INSTALL

I have no "LIVE" option

Anyway, if I choose "Default" the system boots up fine from the pen drive and sees everything including HDD and WIFI.
Quote:Basically the UNETBootin makes my USB Pen drive bootable.
When the initial menu pops up I have 3 options:

1. Default
2. Help
3. OEM INSTALL

I have no "LIVE" option

Anyway, if I choose "Default" the system boots up fine from the pen drive and sees everything including HDD and WIFI.

Ok, I have never used uniboot. I guess "deault" boots up a Live Ubuntu. If so there should be a possibility to install on HDD from within the desktop?.

Eitherway, problem seem to be the installation process. You have to understand how the uniboot works or create bootable USB from the ubuntu installation iso that works the same way as the CD. One way is why the other post suggested:
Create a bootable USB from in another ubuntu 9.04 desktop. (usb-creator) or find a guide how to do it another way.

Conclusion: There is nothing wrong with the hardware or ubuntu. You have two options:
1) Use XBMC live and learn how to config wifi from command line. Google for a guide
2) Learn how to install ubuntu without a CD player. Google for guide. Do not use the minimal CD, it will give the same result as xbmcLive, you need a full installation.

Or buy a cd player, or skip wireless (your next question will probably be why video shutter on wifi anyway).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Unable to install ubuntu on revo.0