Newbe question
Hi

Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my computer. Then I installed xbmc, I followed the step by step guide in the wiki. Everything worked fine... xbmc starts but... when trying to copy skins to the skin folder (as I use to do on my xbox) I cant, no folder permissions. The xbmc folder I located is:usr/share/xbmc/ is it the wrong one??
(Tried logging in as root but I only managed to do that in terminal and I am no Linux power userWink so it didnt help me much.)

Does anyone have the patience to explain what to do? Can I change the folder permissions to make it work or have I located the wrong folder?
try your home folder. you should have a .xbmc file in there.

If you are new to ubuntu it is places/home > view > show hidden files.
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
Thx! I will try it tonight when the kids sleep Smile
I looked there yesterday though (tried to enable hidden files).... but I might have missed it. So I will try again tonight.
The "Hidden" files and folders are preceded with a period. i.e. be sure to look for ".xbmc" and not "xbmc"
Found it Smile Now I´m up and running...

now another question.. how do I share a folder (in Ubuntu) to upload stuff to from my other computers (windows) as for now I can copy from other shares but I plan to autostart XBMC in the future.. then it would be useful.
LoonQ Wrote:Found it Smile Now I´m up and running...

now another question.. how do I share a folder (in Ubuntu) to upload stuff to from my other computers (windows) as for now I can copy from other shares but I plan to autostart XBMC in the future.. then it would be useful.

There are a number of ways to attack this.

1/ openssh-server
Upload the files via sftp (ftp client like filezilla)

2/ samba
Create a permenant windows share.
More involved and requires a moderate amount of configuration.

Either of these packages will allow you to upload to your files to your ubuntu box. I think these two methods would be the most popular.

google is your friend.

Zepp
HW : Multiple Asrock 330HT + NAS
SYS: xbmc-live 10.0
If you just want a quick way to move files around the OpenSSH/Filezilla method works great. However, if you are at some point looking at using a media manager (Ember, MIP, etc) to manage everything or rename files then you would want to use Samba. That's at least from a Windows PC.

Personally, just using NFS and mounting from another Linux PC is the best of the three (if you have that option).
sgeoxd Wrote:If you just want a quick way to move files around the OpenSSH/Filezilla method works great. However, if you are at some point looking at using a media manager (Ember, MIP, etc) to manage everything or rename files then you would want to use Samba. That's at least from a Windows PC.

Personally, just using NFS and mounting from another Linux PC is the best of the three (if you have that option).

I thought I'd need this... so could someone spoon-feed me a little more...

sudo apt-get install samba ? Then how do I set say the /home/xbmc/ directory as shared and visible (r/w) to my Windows PCs.

I've got the XBMC on fine, and SABnzbd+ as well, now just need to be able to send files to the HTPC and retrieve downloaded files for use elsewhere
Code:
sudo apt-get install samba

Then you need to ect samba's config file [ /etc/samba/smb.conf ]

I prefer nano so

Quote:sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

At the end of the file place these line changing the name and path location to suit your needs( in Red)
Also change the user name you want the files saved through (Blue)

Code:
[[color=red]MyMedia[/color]]
comment = [color=red]Public Shared MyMedia[/color]
available = yes
browseable = yes
path = [color=red]/MyMedia/[/color]
public = yes
writable = yes
force user = [color=blue]xbmc[/color]
force group = [color=blue]xbmc[/color]
create mask = 755
directory mask = 777
hide files = [color=red]/MyMedia/lost+found/[/color]

Save the file [Crtl-X] , [Y] , [Enter]

This is my configuration and is by no mean definative. This config is a fully open read/write to anyone and saving the files as the xbmc user. hide files option is there if your path is a mounted partiton. Its not needed if you are just using a home folder like /home/xbmc/MyMedia

Then restart the samba service

Code:
sudo service samba restart

Hope that helps
HW : Multiple Asrock 330HT + NAS
SYS: xbmc-live 10.0
Ok, thx for all help!Smile

This is my status...

XBMC up and running, regular movies work fine... Aeon Stark working... Music is lso working fine.

My issues at the moment...
DVD shuts down xbmc when I try to play it (probably setting problem)
1080p .mkv file plays but its not running completly smoth (Hardware upgrade needed maybe)
Xbmc dont fetch cover art and movie info (always worked for me on xbox with imdb.. strange)

By the way my hardware: AMD 64 3500+ (Singel core), 2Gb memory, GF7900GS, DVD-Rw and some other stuff.
Screen: Samsung 1080p LCD (connecting with DVI)
LoonQ Wrote:Ok, thx for all help!Smile

This is my status...

XBMC up and running, regular movies work fine... Aeon Stark working... Music is lso working fine.

My issues at the moment...
DVD shuts down xbmc when I try to play it (probably setting problem)
1080p .mkv file plays but its not running completly smoth (Hardware upgrade needed maybe)
Xbmc dont fetch cover art and movie info (always worked for me on xbox with imdb.. strange)

By the way my hardware: AMD 64 3500+ (Singel core), 2Gb memory, GF7900GS, DVD-Rw and some other stuff.
Screen: Samsung 1080p LCD (connecting with DVI)

Looks like you have a 7900GS video card. I don't believe that supports VDPAU. Assuming you don't have other trouble an upgrade to a capable card should clear the problem. i.e. DMA is enabled, proper NVIDIA drivers, running Linux, no network issues (if sharing from another PC), etc. At the very least, it will drop CPU usage to single digits. A list of capable cards is available here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbe question0