AAC 5.1 converted on the fly to AC3 5.1 audio... how?
I had thought I had read in the past that this was possible. I haven't found any settings to do it though and haven't had any luck with getting it to work. I did some searching and found this thread where it apparently is working.

That thread doesn't give any details on how you enable it and it is also in the Xbox subforum, so is this something that only works on the Xbox version of XBMC?
Currently working only for Xbox, which had native hardware support for on-the-fly AC3 5.1 encoding.

phi2039 is currently at work on a complete overhaul of XBMC's sound system, which apparently is going to include this function as well.

An alternative, for now, could be to use an external player with the Reclock sound renderer. Apart from improving smoothness of playback, it now has AC3 encoding of any source.
ashlar Wrote:Currently working only for Xbox, which had native hardware support for on-the-fly AC3 5.1 encoding.

phi2039 is currently at work on a complete overhaul of XBMC's sound system, which apparently is going to include this function as well.

An alternative, for now, could be to use an external player with the Reclock sound renderer. Apart from improving smoothness of playback, it now has AC3 encoding of any source.

Thanks. I can't wait until it's working.

Yeah, I've figured out how to do it in an external player using ffdshow audio only (no reclock needed). It's just such a pain using an external since you lose all the info overlays/pause/play/resume/etc during playback.
Yea its a bummer only XBOX has that feature at the moment. But for now, you can always enable downmix to stereo. That will only affect multichannel audio thats not AC3 or DTS if you are passing those formats through. That allowed me to watch some of the videos I have atleast and still be able to figure out what people were saying in the movies lol.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
what about a "dolby digital live" or "dts connect" card?

they convert all sounds into a ac3/dts stream. it's the only viable way to have smooth video and 5.1 in my setup.

i had a cheap Trust sc-7600 and there are several that are identical, i think ones called the montego or the diamond 7.1 DDL.

i now have a Xonar which has it built in too. both sound identical to my ears as your using the digital connection. Audio purists wont touch them (wether or not they can actually hear a difference i dont know, as you get the impression they havent tried one), but i think they are great.
Using a card that can code dolby digital live on the fly is certainly an excellent option. I wish my sound setup had that ability actually.
ATI HD3200 Onboard
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
ashlar Wrote:Currently working only for Xbox, which had native hardware support for on-the-fly AC3 5.1 encoding.

My mouth has been watering for this since I switched from Media Portal to XBMC. ON the fly AC3 encoding is the only thing I miss atm.....
I have a card that can do the dts connect thing. It's pretty sweet.
this thread has been long due...

any update on aac -> ac3 / dolby digital on the fly encoding?
Hi guys.
i know xbmc is on a feature freeze...

but is there any way, or any plans of incorporating an option to choose what digital format xbmc sends to the optical / digital out cable of our sound cards?

this would be a superb feature especially for those with dolby digital only receivers or for those who download movies encoded on aac audio format.

of course, an aac > ac3 on the fly encoder would just be as superb...

just my two cents Smile
Not till after the release since as you said, XBMC is feature frozen. For the few files I have that are encoded like that (I avoid them for that reason). I just use Media Player Classic and ffdshow.
ATI HD3200 Onboard
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
I'm still hoping for this feature! I have to minimize XBMC and use mplayer which uses AC3filter to encode the AAC5.1 to AC35.1. this is the ONLY thing keeping me from using XBMC exclusively and kind of a major pain for any of us who output optical to a 5.1 receiver.
has there been any work on thisHuh
hi, is there any ac3 encoding option in xbmc to aptv 2g? my receiver is not dts capable. i would love an onthefly conversion like ac3filter on windows...
isamu.dragon Wrote:has there been any work on thisHuh

all my stuff is aac 5.1 and all of it plays fine on my stereo in dolby digital ac3 so there is definately some encoding going on somewhere. maybe its extra things added to my computer?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AAC 5.1 converted on the fly to AC3 5.1 audio... how?0