ASS subs crash XBMC
I have the latest SVN build running on Debian Lenny amd64
And any ASS subtitles crash XBMC

Code:
/lib/libc.so.6[0x7f4098ebe6c8]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x76)[0x7f4098ec01d6]
/usr/local/share/xbmc/system/players/dvdplayer/libass-x86_64-linux.so(ass_read_memory+0x6e)[0x7f407fd3217e]
/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin(_ZN19CDVDSubtitlesLibass11CreateTrackEPc+0x43)[0xac9d03]
/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin(_ZN21CDVDSubtitleParserSSA4OpenER14CDVDStreamInfo+0xe1)[0xacb501]
/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin(_ZN18CDVDPlayerSubtitle10OpenStreamER14CDVDStreamInfoRSs+0xaf)[0x9725af]
/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin(_ZN10CDVDPlayer18OpenSubtitleStreamEii+0x1c8)[0x969268]
/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin(_ZN10CDVDPlayer18OpenDefaultStreamsEv+0x246)[0x9698a6]
/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin(_ZN10CDVDPlayer7ProcessEv+0xb8)[0x96fa28]
/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin(_ZN7CThread12staticThreadEPv+0x5f)[0x6732cf]
/lib/libpthread.so.0[0x7f409e4c5f9a]
/lib/libc.so.6(clone+0x6d)[0x7f4098f1956d]

it happens in DVDSubtitlesLibass.cpp:138
Code:
m_track = m_dll.ass_read_memory(m_library, buf, 0, 0);

Commenting this line out (return false), or removing the .ass file solves the crash

I tried several .ass files and it crashed anyway

Log and sample ASS
my 23692 also crashes with .ssa subtitle. did you file a ticket on trac?
xbmc-pvr-ppa-odk68, Gentoo x86 3.0.7-pf, xorg-server-1.11.2, mesa-7.11, nvidia-drivers-290.10
Odd.. just tested that file and it worked fine here.. Does it happen on the first sub event?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

When video and subtitle load
Before the first event
This is interesting - looking at that file, it appears that the subtitles are a unicode of some sort, but the font is Tahoma. When I look at it in a text editor, they don't resolve as anything other than gibberish, even when I change to a unicode font - specifically Arial Unicode MS. I'll go ahead and try it on another PC, but I get the feeling your subtitles are malformed. What language are they supposed to be in anyway?

EDIT: Weird - they read alright in windows notepad. So much for OS X Textedit. Russian of some sort then.
Subtitles - Serious Business
It could be thread safety issues in libass... i should really fix those... But if it happens everytime it's probably not.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

my scenario is that the subtitle is loaded fine from inside the mkv, but rendering is crap, as in Strikeout seems to overdone. not sure if its the subtitle itself actually ordering this display. i mkvextracted the subtitle track, changed the font, but this file could not be loaded - instacrash as soon as you select it in subtitle browser. i could see lots of gconv stacktrace on the console but nothing similar entered in any of the logfiles (xbmc.log, xorg.0.log). i'd be very interested in how to capture this information that this crash spits out, much of it seems to be lost because it doesnt fit on one screenful.
xbmc-pvr-ppa-odk68, Gentoo x86 3.0.7-pf, xorg-server-1.11.2, mesa-7.11, nvidia-drivers-290.10
I played with subtitles encoding
Opened and saved them in Subtitle Workshop
Even trying to download ass files from subtitle sites
They all fail for some weird reason
.srt works fine, btw

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASS subs crash XBMC0