Gigabyte G210 card with linux sound issue
I have installed 9.04 ubunutu using the XBMscript. My hardware is an shuttle SG33-G5 Core 2 Duo 2.4 (i think) 4GB ram and a new Gigabyte G210 card. I have it connected to a Vizio SV470XVT1A 47" LCD via the HDMI port and using the stereo inputs for that port. Everything works great on any other TV except that one. I have tried different computers connected in the same configuration, but they all work. Didn't know where else to post. Just frustrated after spending the day on this. There seems to be HDMI audio listed in the alsamixer which is a bit confusing, as I don't believe the G210 I have passes audio. There are definitely no connectors Tried it from the DVI port with HDMI adapter...still no sound. Any thoughts?
The G210 has it's own audio codec.

If you get this working under ALSA via HDMI I would be interested to hear about it as I'm in the market for this card partially because it has built-in audio.

Thanks.

Regards,
Michal
Well I could wait no longer so I went ahead and ordered the Gigabyte GV-N210OC-512I for AUD75 (about USD70).

I hope it's everything I've been hoping for. Will report back once I've tried it with XBMC.
Michal, did you get HDMI audio working in Linux with the G210? I've read somewhere that the new G-series does not come with a sound chip or S/PDIF input socket, but instead routes the sound signal over the PCIe bus from the existing onboard audio to the HDMI port on the Geforce.

I wonder if this can be achieved in Linux at all!?
nermal Wrote:Michal, did you get HDMI audio working in Linux with the G210? I've read somewhere that the new G-series does not come with a sound chip or S/PDIF input socket, but instead routes the sound signal over the PCIe bus from the existing onboard audio to the HDMI port on the Geforce.

If anyone gets a HDMI audio device listed in Alsa, thats NOT the G210. For the G210 you need to patch the HDA kernel module with the G210 device ID to be listed. This case you get it listed with 4 (!) pcm devices, but no sound from eighter of them at least for me. Check this thread on NV forums:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140264

Also i opened up an Alsa Bug for this:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-b...w_page.php
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
nermal Wrote:Michal, did you get HDMI audio working in Linux with the G210? I've read somewhere that the new G-series does not come with a sound chip or S/PDIF input socket, but instead routes the sound signal over the PCIe bus from the existing onboard audio to the HDMI port on the Geforce.

Shocked
is that information correct, or was it a mistake ? What if I don't have any onboard sound ?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_set_u...,_or_GT240
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gigabyte G210 card with linux sound issue0