• 7(current)
[MAC] XBMC vs. Plex, specific differences with respect to Mac OS X compatibility?
Looks like you should look into profiles.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
New Plex release that's coming in a few days will bring us a bunch of differences to think and talk about :-) Is something similar or (not so similar) planed/considered for XBMC?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:New Plex release that's coming in a few days will bring us a bunch of differences to think and talk about :-) Is something similar or (not so similar) planed/considered for XBMC?

An XBMC release, yes. Dharma beta was tagged last night.
The thing I'm most looking forward to in Plex 9 is the "dynamic objects". Not everything fits into "TV" or "Movies". If I setup and downloaded all of the NFL season, that'd be a sports event. Or "Home Movies" so it wouldn't try to scrape the internet for stuff.
davilla Wrote:An XBMC release, yes. Dharma beta was tagged last night.

Really looking forward to it, as I use stable build on HTPC.

Guess the thread can be closed then?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

One thing that caught my eye is that Plex 9, if I understand correctly, will feature a hash database for all the imported media. That means that, duplicate entries, renamed files, or moved files issues should no longer be an issue. This is a nuts feature that I'd love to have in XBMC.
It's trivial to implement hashing. I haven't done it as we have a an improved database layout under construction and I don't want to have to repeat the work. If someone doesn't mind doing the work with the knowledge that some of their work will be superceded, I'm happy to give pointers.

Note that there's nothing (if we're to believe what Elan says on his blog at least) to stop XBMC not working just fine with a PMS backend should that be what you wish to do. It apparently serves up XML based listings, which would be easy to parse and display nicely using our plugin system should one wish to do it. I'm happy to give pointers should someone wish to take up this task - it might free those that wish to use the PMS backend from having to use the outdated skinning stuff in the front end.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:Note that there's nothing (if we're to believe what Elan says on his blog at least) to stop XBMC not working just fine with a PMS backend should that be what you wish to do. It apparently serves up XML based listings, which would be easy to parse and display nicely using our plugin system should one wish to do it. I'm happy to give pointers should someone wish to take up this task - it might free those that wish to use the PMS backend from having to use the outdated skinning stuff in the front end.

No reason not to believe what Elan says on his blog, he's a pretty reliable sort. The proof is in the source of the Plex client, which uses HTTP/XML to communicate with the media server.

Would be pretty trivial to get a basic browser working, I think, and I'm happy to provide assistance to anyone who wants to give it a go.
Smile gotta love team harmony Wink
Wait - I only mentioned "Elan" once - isn't it supposed to take 3 times before materialisation? Wink

@elan: Cheers - do you have any docs that formalize the API other than in .cpp (just to save some time for non-c++ readers?) Nice to see some sources Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:Wait - I only mentioned "Elan" once - isn't it supposed to take 3 times before materialisation? Wink

@elan: Cheers - do you have any docs that formalize the API other than in .cpp (just to save some time for non-c++ readers?) Nice to see some sources Smile

Smile The best reference right now is this PDF, which unfortunately doesn't contain any of the Alexandria library stuff (which is more like a version 2). We'll be adding documentation for that shortly.

However, if you start "browsing" at http://localhost:32400/library/sections, you can pretty much traverse the entire tree and it should all make pretty good sense. I hope Smile Anyway, if anyone has any more questions, I'm happy to help.

Dharma is looking quite nice, BTW!
Perfect - hopefully we'll have a volunteer pop up to take the lead on it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

See here for the current discussion on this, including my interest in coding a plugin etc for it

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=80345&page=2
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] XBMC vs. Plex, specific differences with respect to Mac OS X compatibility?3