Info Screen Upon Video Selection
I'd like the feature discussed here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48214

Even though there's the argument that you can simply press the "I" button to get the info screen when a video title is highlighted, it could easily work the other way, where another button ("P", maybe) would start playing the video, and pressing "Enter" would open the movie info. IMO, it'd be more intuitive that way, or at least follow the standard (in my experience, anyway).

If you have a remote, you're probably going to want the center (usually between the directional controls, but not always) enter/select button to map to the "Enter" key on your keyboard, so changing that key to be "Info" (as suggested in the thread) isn't a good idea for obvious reasons. But you could make the play button on your remote map to the "P" key (or whatever's used to play the movie), so that now when you're using the remote, if you highlight a video title, you can push enter/select to see the movie info, or play to play it.
Brent212 Wrote:I'd like the feature discussed here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48214

Even though there's the argument that you can simply press the "I" button to get the info screen when a video title is highlighted, it could easily work the other way, where another button ("P", maybe) would start playing the video, and pressing "Enter" would open the movie info. IMO, it'd be more intuitive that way, or at least follow the standard (in my experience, anyway).

If you have a remote, you're probably going to want the center (usually between the directional controls, but not always) enter/select button to map to the "Enter" key on your keyboard, so changing that key to be "Info" (as suggested in the thread) isn't a good idea for obvious reasons. But you could make the play button on your remote map to the "P" key (or whatever's used to play the movie), so that now when you're using the remote, if you highlight a video title, you can push enter/select to see the movie info, or play to play it.

You could edit your keymap.xml and do the same thing. Wink
I'm pretty sure that won't work, for reasons cited in the linked thread.

If you change the Enter button from "Select" to "Info", now you have no way of navigating around XBMC. You can assign "Select" to another button, but that's no better a solution than just using the default button configuration, because now you're using an unintuitive button to navigate the software.

Basically, I want the most prominent button (the one you'd go to normally if you were selecting something) to function as Enter does at all times other than when selecting a video, in which case I want it to open the movie info rather than play it.

It's not a huge deal, it'd just be nice to have the option of changing this.
Brent212 Wrote:I'm pretty sure that won't work, for reasons cited in the linked thread.

If you change the Enter button from "Select" to "Info", now you have no way of navigating around XBMC. You can assign "Select" to another button, but that's no better a solution than just using the default button configuration, because now you're using an unintuitive button to navigate the software.

Basically, I want the most prominent button (the one you'd go to normally if you were selecting something) to function as Enter does at all times other than when selecting a video, in which case I want it to open the movie info rather than play it.

It's not a huge deal, it'd just be nice to have the option of changing this.

Ah. Sorry bout that then.
Question 
I don't understand the request, you can map the "OK" button if that's what you wish to "Info" in the screen you like. It doesn't have to be mapped in all of XBMC.

Or you can do as I did and map your remote "Info" key to "i" and get the info for a movie/TV show with a keypress.

This looks to me less of a feature request than "how do I accomplish this? (with is already supported in XBMC)" and the answer should be modifying your keymaps as you see fit.
Okay, I was assuming that if you changed the function of a button in keymaps, it would change how it functions in the whole application, but it looks like you can specify how the buttons behave in individual areas, so what I want is probably possible.

Just started using XBMC, and I gotta say, the flexibility of having all these configuration settings in xml files is awesome. I (obviously) haven't figured it all out yet, but the documentation seems really good.
What you are requesting is currently not possible, but it's been discussed in a broader context in the Idiot Proof Keymapping thread.

Implementing a solution for everyone to use (which is the ideal) isn't easy because as I mentioned before, there are cases where going to an info screen is redundant since some views already give movie info.

The issue is open for discussion so you can participate and provide ideas for a possible solution Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Info Screen Upon Video Selection0