Does the linux version of XBMC provide better performance in HD content than windows?
Hi,

I'm currently using mediaportal on windows and using coreavc to decode HD,
tried to switch to XBMC on windows but without coreavc by my side i can't play HD content smoothly.

should i choose to install linux/live version, you think I would be able to play HD smoothly with my system?

here are the specs:
P3 2.5Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI RADEON 9600XT

thanks
short answer - YES due to hardware GPU support at least for Nvidia

Your specs are probably seriously DUE for a renewal and I thought having an Atom based ion was the answer (in linux it is okay) but for windows at this stage, to be safe and not having to deal with lots of tweaks, I would seriously go for a micro-atx based C2D of at least 3ghz......that way, even software decoding of HD should be good enough....
well...with other words:Not for sure with your spec, but if you get a NVIDIA g card that support VDPAU it will work perfekt!
Linux only works well for Nvidia at the moment. However if you wait a little longer, DXVA will soon (when its done) be available on the Windows builds so you too can enjoy hardware accelerated video.
TREX6662k5 Wrote:Linux only works well for Nvidia at the moment. However if you wait a little longer, DXVA will soon (when its done) be available on the Windows builds so you too can enjoy hardware accelerated video.

yes i've heard about that. unfortunately i've also heard that it might take awhile until we'll be able to put our hand on it :
Theres always the chance ATI will enable hardware accelerated video in Linux, but their development has always been behind Nvidia.
Get a support NVIDIA card, 8000 series or higher. Get CUDA enabled NVIDIA drivers (all should be now). Install XBMC into windows and set display driver to VDPAU. All done.

Linux is still better, but I have a windows machine too and XBMC works fine like this.
marshalleq Wrote:Get a support NVIDIA card, 8000 series or higher. Get CUDA enabled NVIDIA drivers (all should be now). Install XBMC into windows and set display driver to VDPAU. All done.

Linux is still better, but I have a windows machine too and XBMC works fine like this.

Please avoid giving out blatantly wrong advice, that's how rumors get started. It's not called VDPAU (Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix) for nothing.

It's Linux only, XBMC lacks CUDA support in windows.

TheUni
Linux + Nvidia GPU + VDPAU = silky smooth 1080p FullHD playback on a machine that had windows and wasn't even able to play 720p content!
logictester Wrote:Linux + Nvidia GPU + VDPAU = silky smooth 1080p FullHD playback on a machine that had windows and wasn't even able to play 720p content!

and for ATI?...
ATI, not so much. Don't go ATI for XBMC.
rodalpho Wrote:ATI, not so much. Don't go ATI for XBMC.

i'm not planning on buying a new one, that's my current spec, which works great for running 720p on every platform but XBMC... but i realy want to run XBMC on it Nod
You can still do so, but you'll need a roughly 2Ghz core2 CPU to play HD video. You just can't do it on a little nettop, that's all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does the linux version of XBMC provide better performance in HD content than windows?0