Camelot Alpha 1 MCE remote support
I've added support for the Windows Media Center remote to the Camelot Alpha 1 release. You can get the modified version here:

http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/camelot-a1.zip

The zip includes installation instructions and details on the modification.

Strictly speaking this isn't the Alpha1 release as it's build 24331, but it's pretty close.

JR
i really hope that someday this will be officially a feature of xbmc, because xbmc IS a Media Center and a media center SHOULD be controlled by remote. Thanks for your work, jhsrennie!
@ jhsrennie; feel free to ignore. but we would really appreciate if you made the build from the tag.

@ sergiocos; it will be added "properly" after camelot.
spiff Wrote:@ sergiocos; it will be added "properly" after camelot.

Hooray! Big Grin
Do we have the source for it?
Adding remote support isn't that easy on win32 as every remote uses it's own api and MS isn't nice to us. Therefore a lot of supplemental tools are there to come around the problem. XBMC supports the IR server suite which itself supports a lot of remotes.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@spiff:

>we would really appreciate if you made the build from the tag

Ah, this is where I have to reveal how little I know about what I'm doing! I just checked out the source, made the (very minor) changes, pressed F7 and made a cup of tea. If I should be doing more please let me know. If you want to mail me off forum use john.rennie at ratsauce.co.uk.

@Wiso: the modified source is in the download, but we won't be adding it to the official Camelot as a far more elegant solution has already been proposed for the next version (Dungeness?). I'll make it available as a special build for the few people who want to use it. It's a ridiculously trivial change!

JR
Wiso, I asked those exact same questions on a previous thread. Spiff gave the link to this "more elegant" solution.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7442
Thank you JR. This is absolutely wonderful Laugh . I'm looking forward to the more elegant solution being implemented in the next release, but until then, this is great. And it certainly beats EventGhost or IRSS workarounds in terms of simplicity. I have a harmony remote so this solution lets me set it up to control both XBMC and windows 7 media center (using the standard keys as an MCE keyboard).

Will you please provide a version with MCE remote support when the camelot beta comes out?

Thanks again!
Argh come on - How much do one have to beg to get this in the builds now?
(if it is so simple and does not break anything ... of course)

/needtotest

...never mind I can wait ... but I am very much looking forward to kicking eventghost out the door.
@needtotest: putting my code in now will make life harder when the proper solution is built in. However I'll continue to update my modified version at each test (i.e. alpha or beta) release and when Camelot is officially released.

JR
Thanks JR, your dl was a big help after several hours fiddeling and searching around to get my mce 2 work.

@Admin
it would be a big help for all people who want to leave media center for this nice solution to have a link for this quick and dirty solution in the wiki or another prominent place, because when I searched for help with the mce I got so many hits and tried a lot of other solutions what were not so easy and fast.

@everybody
the new link for the patch is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmce/files/
GranCanaria Wrote:@Admin
it would be a big help for all people who want to leave media center for this nice solution to have a link for this quick and dirty solution in the wiki or another prominent place, because when I searched for help with the mce I got so many hits and tried a lot of other solutions what were not so easy and fast.

@everybody
the new link for the patch is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmce/files/

On my list of jobs is to sit down and rewrite the Wiki stuff from scratch to try and make it simpler and clearer.

Thanks for posting the new link. I had to move the files because my ISP got annoyed at all the downloads :-)

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Camelot Alpha 1 MCE remote support0