Turning pc on or off with any remote for about $20
Building a HTPC I could not afford a htpc case. I ended up using a very old ATX case, but the getting up to power on/off or reset it if it happened to hang was annoying.

I have experience working with embedded processors and happened to have an arduino based board . Just over a month ago someone made a library for ardruino that supports just about all the remote protocols that exist in consumer devices. This allowed me to do what I had been wanting.

It also provides the possibility of adding lots of things in the future like LCD displays, fan controls, etc. It can use just about any remote to control the power and learns the code you want from the remote. It can also be used as a IR receiver for remote control of XBMC. If you want to use it for that you need either a serial port on the pc or a usb to serial cable. Either will work fine. It will send the button presses over serial , so you can pull up a terminal and see the button codes or use something like eventghost to control xbmc or lirc in linux.

If you have a com port free it requires no drivers to be installed.

Once you set the buttons up you just press the power button on the remote and the circuit can power/on/off or reset.

If anyone is interested please reply and I will work on getting together a schematic , parts list and instructions along with the needed code.
cgmark Wrote:Building a HTPC I could not afford a htpc case. I ended up using a very old ATX case, but the getting up to power on/off or reset it if it happened to hang was annoying.

I have experience working with embedded processors and happened to have an arduino based board . Just over a month ago someone made a library for ardruino that supports just about all the remote protocols that exist in consumer devices. This allowed me to do what I had been wanting.

It also provides the possibility of adding lots of things in the future like LCD displays, fan controls, etc. It can use just about any remote to control the power and learns the code you want from the remote. It can also be used as a IR receiver for remote control of XBMC. If you want to use it for that you need either a serial port on the pc or a usb to serial cable. Either will work fine. It will send the button presses over serial , so you can pull up a terminal and see the button codes or use something like eventghost to control xbmc or lirc in linux.

If you have a com port free it requires no drivers to be installed.

Once you set the buttons up you just press the power button on the remote and the circuit can power/on/off or reset.

If anyone is interested please reply and I will work on getting together a schematic , parts list and instructions along with the needed code.

Hi. looks like a good idea. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Turning pc on or off with any remote for about $200