can i stream from Linux to Win7?
Hi,
I'm new here and have only recently learned about XBMC. Sorry if this question is a repeat.
I have a linux (currently Ubuntu 9.04) machine that stores most of my media files, about 1/2 TB.
I recently bought a small nettop for my living room (ASRock ION-330) and installed Windows 7. I need the win OS cuz this machine will run some games and accessories for my son (e.g. Sims and the eee stick to replace Wii)
Therefore, i'm looking for a way to stream my media (especialy music) from the Linux machine to the Win7 one.
Is this possible with XBMC out of the box? If not, what do i need to do/install to enable streaming between the machines?
I would prefer not to install Linux as a double-boot option on the livingroom machine as this will significantly slow down start-up time which is important to me (ASRock has this nifty "instant-boot" feature that makes Win7 go up in about 7 seconds).

Thanks in edvance,
Fatmonkey
Its possible. Just have to setup network shares in Linux, and have XBMC point to those shares.

The XBMC wiki has all that information on how it work/how to set it up.

The hardest part might just be setting up the linux-side which you might have to google around for.

Welcome to the fold.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
Thanks. I'll try the wiki and see if i can make any progress fro there.
you have to set up a samba server on the linux machine to fool the windows machine that it is a windows server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
can i stream from Linux to Win7?0