Lowest spec 1080p capable computer using PCI version of NVIDIA 8400GS or similar?
pettergulbra Wrote:Vould this EVGA card supprot dxva. So I can use an external player in windows that support that?

And I see that there is not any HDMI output on it. Thats why I wonder.

Kindly

SomeOne?
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
Sorry about that, when you wrote PCI, I thought you had meant PCI-Express, my mistake.

The thing is, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think you'll find a PCI card that has any form of video acceleration that supports VDPAU which XBMC would require. Half-height won't be as big of an issue.
RKMFlorida Wrote:The thing is, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think you'll find a PCI card that has any form of video acceleration that supports VDPAU which XBMC would require.
I thought that was the point of this whole thread?
Yes, my mistake, I originally thought the thread was about minimum hardware configs that could run 1080p. Now I see you're looking for PCI.

If you simply want to know which NVIDIA chipsets will support VDPAU, just look here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU

Anything you can find in PCI form, simply check whether its on that list.
RKMFlorida Wrote:Yes, my mistake, I originally thought the thread was about minimum hardware configs that could run 1080p. Now I see you're looking for PCI.
Not sure whether you're being ironic. The thread is called "Lowest spec 1080p capable computer using PCI version of NVIDIA 8400GS or similar". Am I missing something?

RKMFlorida Wrote:If you simply want to know which NVIDIA chipsets will support VDPAU, just look here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
Anything you can find in PCI form, simply check whether its on that list.
Yep. Seems there are plenty of PCI cards with 8400GS. Can't find one with an HDMI port, though (nor an Nvidia 210 card with PCI interface) - which somewhat limits the possiblities. :-(
Lots of chipsets in the table there, though. I'll have to spend some time doing more searching. ...unless anyone else can help?

...and a quick update. An "advanced" search on NewEgg for "PCI" interface, "Nvidia" chipset and "HDMI" yielded zero results :-(.
pettergulbra Wrote:Vould this EVGA card supprot dxva. So I can use an external player in windows that support that?

And I see that there is not any HDMI output on it. Thats why I wonder.

Kindly

Yes, it even supports VDPAU, so you can use the XBMC live distro (which is better/more convenient) Smile

With regards to there only being DVI output; HDMI is essential a DVI signal with room for AUDIO signal too in it. So you could simply buy a cheap DVI-->HDMI cable for the picture, and use a separate optical og analog cable for the sound.
Exclamation 
captain_obvious Wrote:Frankly I find it stange that no vendors seems to want to tap in to the agp market for people who have an old, decent AGP system otherwise perfect for HTPC use staying around.

Wholeheartedly agree with you! I can't be the only one looking for a decent AGP card that will accelerate all HD content under either Windows or Linux. I currently own a 2600Pro but the driver support under windows is not ideal and playback is not always smooth, especially with 1080/higher bitrate material.

Good tip about the 9400GT in PCI form factor, unfortunately I'm short on PCI slots and would feel a bit silly sacrificing my Gbit NIC for it and leaving my AGP port empty!!!

Thanks for stating the obvious, Captain, hopefully someone will finally take note and make a decent passively cooled AGP HD video accelerator with both Windows and Linux driver support.
Dell Optiplex 150:
2.4GHz Intel Celeron
512MB RAM
PCI Nvidia 8400 GS

Haven't tried 1080p content because I've not needed to since I've only got a 720p TV but it works a dream with all the 720p content I've thrown at it.
phusg Wrote:Good tip about the 9400GT in PCI form factor, unfortunately I'm short on PCI slots and would feel a bit silly sacrificing my Gbit NIC for it and leaving my AGP port empty!!!
Ditto.

phusg Wrote:Thanks for stating the obvious, Captain, hopefully someone will finally take note and make a decent passively cooled AGP HD video accelerator with both Windows and Linux driver support.
We can but hope, but I'm not holding my breath. Especially not for one with HDMI output. LOL :-)
I think I'm going for the prize on this. I just bought a Foxconn mini-itx with an Atom 330 - not an ION board. (Intel 945GC.) Going to run Win7 (so no VDPAU) with 1GB RAM. Wish me luck!

IsleOfMan Wrote:What skins are you guys running on P4 + 8400GS rigs? Any chance some version of AEON is smooth?
Is Aeon more difficult to run than 1080P?! I hope that's not going to be an issue, because I was definitely planning on Aeon.
Quote:I think I'm going for the prize on this. I just bought a Foxconn mini-itx with an Atom 330 - not an ION board. (Intel 945GC.) Going to run Win7 (so no VDPAU) with 1GB RAM. Wish me luck!

So basically ... the whole video should run on the atom ....

Was it the right solution...and fully Working Huh
Donny Bahama Wrote:I think I'm going for the prize on this. I just bought a Foxconn mini-itx with an Atom 330 - not an ION board. (Intel 945GC.) Going to run Win7 (so no VDPAU) with 1GB RAM. Wish me luck!

I think you'll need a miracle, not luck. Oo I run xbmc on an asrock ion330 - similar, but an atom 330 + 2gb ram + NVidia ION. oh, and I'm running ubuntu not windows.

With vdpau turned on it plays (h.264) 1080p without breaking sweat. I've not tried aeon on this box.

with vdpau turned off it can't even keep up with 720p - both cores are running flat out and the video is still slightly jerky. (it gets close, but not quite close enough.) with vdpau off standard definition is fine.

Jon
I don't think the new ATOM D510 will make that much of a difference....

...hope to be wrong... Confused
get a broadcom crystal HD mini PCI-E card in that D510 and you'll be fine.

I have an Acer Revo R3600 and it works fine with its 2GB and N230 but without VDPAU it would be dog slow
will a broadcom crystal HD mini PCI-E work in a windows environment win XBMC ?

WinXP Huh

Win7 Huh

XBMC would recognize natively the card...or some weird mod will be needed ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lowest spec 1080p capable computer using PCI version of NVIDIA 8400GS or similar?0