• 65(current)
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC
Saw this and wondered if openelec.tv could be installed on this device
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

for approx $35

being released this Nov 2011
k_zeon Wrote:Saw this and wondered if openelec.tv could be installed on this device
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

for approx $35

being released this Nov 2011

I don't think XBMC runs on arm, though I could be incorrect.
Can anyone help here?

When i boot from the usb drive i've set up, i get some introductory text, then saying a framebuffer can't be loaded (splash-screen issue) and then just a blank screen from then on.

I have no idea why it's not working. I hear it can be picky about usb keys? My machine is the Revo 3610, haven't seen a lot of people run into the same problem.

I used the ION X86_64 build of openelec. Is this the correct build for the Acer Revo 3610? It has an Atom 330 with nVidia Ion integrated graphics running Win7 home premium 64-bit.

I'd really appreciate some help. Is there anything i need to do in the bios? I usually just press f12 and select the usb to load.
We are happy to release our next release candidate

RC 7 is released! Many thanks to all users for testing and contributing.

Where is RC6?

RC6 was not released officially. It was released for our new Partner Xtreamer to produce the SSD's with preinstalled OpenELEC.

Highlights:
  • Added support for many new remotes like:
    • Zydracon
    • Fintek
    • Cypress
    • Topseed
    • Ati X10 and compatible
    • ITE
    • more Nuvoton based remote receivers
    • DELL mceusb receivers
    • XBOX 360 Remote via mceusb receivers
  • Added support for MDM166A and IMONLCD lcd devices
  • Added support for many new DVB devices.
  • Added support for reiserfs, xfs and jfs filesystems.
  • Added support for XVBA via VAAPI
  • Added fglrx graphic driver
  • Added SFTP Server support
  • Added AFP mount support via netmount.conf
  • Added support for 'autostart.sh' script
    Developers can create a (shell) script in '/storage/.config' called 'autostart.sh'. The script is run on boot and allows for testing of OpenELEC commands.
    This is not a supported user feature and is intended for developers only to test boot commands. This feature may/will be deprecated as the project moves on in favour of custom Addons to cover any required autostart features.
  • Added Service Addon support, backported from XBMC-Eden
    Service addons are a special form of XBMC program addon which will be started on boot automatically (when XBMC starts). This makes it possible to run services like SABnzbd & Co.,Transmission and TVheadend in background.
  • Moved some tools and programs like nano, evtest, Transmission, TVHeadend to Addons
  • Added support for binary Addons
    When XBMC Addons are not coded in Python they are called Binary Addons. A limitation of Binary Addons is that they are OpenELEC architecture specific and cannot be easily moved around like normal Addons.
    The implication of this is that if you change OpenELEC architectures i.e. from ION 32 to ION 64 you MUST follow a strict procedure to remove/reinstall Addons completely via SSH.

New Projects:
  • Fusion
    thats a own image for systems based on AMD's Fusion (Bobcat and Llano) platform. This image works for most Users, but its still not stable enough like our other builds. XVBA support is work in process and will be improved over the timewithin our releases.
  • Ultra
    thats a own image presetup for Xtreamer Ultra.

Known issues and limitations
  • GPU Temperature is not shown in XBMC on some nvidia GPU hardware (bug in driver)
  • Component Video does not work in the Apple TV image
  • If you use the installer to install on a new drive, be sure there is at least one partition, otherwise the drive will be not detected
  • If you find more issues let us know in the forum (Bug Reports)

Adding additional drivers

If you need an additional driver (esp. WLAN/DVB/Remote) let us know this in our forum (Feature request)
greetings, Stephan

Ive tried installing RC7 to on my ATV.
When it starts up the first time I get a lot of flicker and judders, and everything moves sloooooowly troughout the main menu.
To get rid of the judder I have to disable vsync. But everything is lagging like crazy. If I choose window mode, then the navigation throughout the menus are unbelievable quick. I think it might have something to do with my Pioneer plasma? It is a KRP-500a. Also watching movies is a nightmare. I have tried RC5 also, same result.

Also Id would really like an ATV build using the nVidia drivers to support 24hz! (and if you can find a way to enable 23.976hz and 59.94 then it will be a big bonus) I can live with analog/digital output
RC7 works great!!!
Thank You
rc7 works awesome for me. intel i3 2100, asrock h67m-itx. sandy bridge hardware accel working great, hdmi sound in movies and menu working, had to tweak the audio but it was easy
Smile 
After more than two years of constant development and a year of open beta testing, the team of the OpenELEC Project are pleased to announce OpenELEC Version 1.0

OpenELEC is an embedded Linux distribution that aims to allow people to use their Home Theatre PC (HTPC) in the same manner as any other device attached to your TV - like a DVD player or Sky box. Turn on your box, and OpenELEC is ready and waiting in less than 10 seconds - as fast as some DVD players. A simple remote control is all you will need. On top of that, one need not worry about updating OpenELEC, as the software will self-update automatically when connected to the Internet and an update is available. Installing OpenELEC takes less than 5 minutes and requires zero Linux experience. After that, one need merely add one’s media files and preferred addons, and OpenELEC will “just work.”

OpenELEC is designed specifically to run XBMC - an award-winning multimedia hub platform designed to give you the best access to your media possible. Its add-on architecture allows the user to customize XBMC to his or her preferred look-and-feel in mere seconds and add functionality as required. Once installed, OpenELEC requires less than 130MB of space, but supports a diverse array of hardware platforms including low-power NetTops - an ideal partner given the small size and power requirements of current generation NetTops. “There is no easier way to get a more ‘appliance-like’ feel to XBMC than to use OpenELEC,” said Nathan Betzen, Community/Project Manager for Team XBMC.

OpenELEC runs on most Intel and AMD 32-bit and 64-bit machines, but specific builds are available for Intel-based, Nvidia ION-based and AMD Fusion-based systems. Additionally, a specific build has been designed for the Xtreamer Ultra platform in collaboration with OpenELEC’s partner, Xtreamer LTD. OpenELEC supports many wireless and most wired network cards as well as most graphics cards including many of the most bleeding edge GPUs. This is made possible by ensuring that OpenELEC remains up-to-date with some of the latest software available, including Kernel 3.1 (RC10), Xorg-1.10.4 and Mesa 7.11, but still remains as reliable as possible.

Additional Features & Functionality
In addition to the standard features in XBMC (10.1 Dharma), OpenELEC provides additional functionality through XBMC specifically to make running your HTPC as simple as possible. The most significant of these is the OpenELEC Configuration Add-on which allows you to configure system settings like networking configuration, update services, and additional hardware features like LCD displays (if your system supports them. Even better, the Configuration Add-on allows you to configure all these settings using your remote control. Once OpenELEC is installed, you’ll never need your keyboard for your HTPC again.

Since OpenELEC has it’s own repository of add-ons that are maintained by both OpenELEC.tv and by the user community, we have the ability to add many additional features. Current add-ons are available for PVR functionality (including DVB and IP TV), an entire suite of products for newsgroup downloading, BitTorrent support and additional services like rsync. Since we have an open add-on framework, add-ons are also community created and maintained so there will be many new add-ons available in the future to further extend OpenELEC.

Graphics Card Support
  • ATI (proprietary and open source)
  • NVIDIA (proprietary and open source)
  • Intel

Video Hardware Decode Support
  • Intel VAAPI
  • NVIDIA VDPAU
  • AMD XVBA (via VAAPI)
  • Broadcom CrystalHD

Network Support
  • Most wired and wireless cards are supported
  • Up to two devices can be active simultaneously
  • Windows (SMB/CIFS), MacOS (AFP), Linux (NFS/SSH/SFTP) shares from NAS servers
  • Network Time Protocol (NTP) for time synchronisation
  • Samba (Windows network share) server so you can share your files from OpenELEC
  • SSH for advanced management

Storage Support
  • Internal and external hard disks keys connecting by IDE, SATA, eSATA and USB
  • Flash-based media including USB keys, Compact Flash and SD Cards
  • EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, FAT32, NTFS, HFS, HFS+, JFS, XFS and ReiserFS filesystems

Remote Control Support
Receivers from any of the following are supported:
HID Remotes (Boxee, Nyxboard and many others), Windows MCE, ATI X10, IMON, IRTRANS, Nuvoton, Fintek, ENE eHome, ITE8x12, RedRat3,StreamZap and more...

This release is a culmination of effort from many people, but mainly the development team headed by Stephan Raue. Contributions have been made by users and without our large user base who have unwittingly been our test subjects, OpenELEC wouldn't be what it is today. For that, we are very thankful for the comments, requests, tips and bug-reports that they have submitted to us. Please keep submitting them in the future to continue making OpenELEC even better!

So grab a USB key, install OpenELEC on it and see for yourself why OpenELEC is the best platform for your HTPC.
greetings, Stephan

I absolutely love openelec - Thanks for all your hard work, it's a fantastic system running everyone's favourite htpc software!
Congrats on version 1.0 guys, it really is amazing.
YEAH! OpenELEC FTW!
I am interest in trying the OpenELEC 10.1 out. Have a few questions before I do first.

I have the Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11 w/30gb ssd and with these specs:

Chipset
NVIDIA® Next-Generation ION™ (w/512MB DDR3)
GPU ION™
CPU Compatibility
Intel® Atom™ D510 (dual-core)

1. Which one of the builds would be the correct one?

Generic Builds
OpenELEC Generic i386 (126 MB) MD5

ION Builds
OpenELEC ION i386 (98 MB) MD5
OpenELEC ION x86_64 (102 MB) MD5

Intel Builds
OpenELEC Intel i386 (87 MB) MD5
OpenELEC Intel x86_64 (90 MB) MD5

2. Can I switch out my SSD with my extra one to try out OpenELEC and if I doesn't work out, just put my original SSD back in and have XBMClive back up and running?

3. It says
Quote:Since OpenELEC has it’s own repository of add-ons that are maintained by both OpenELEC.tv and by the user community, we have the ability to add many additional features. Current add-ons are available for PVR functionality (including DVB and IP TV), an entire suite of products for newsgroup downloading, BitTorrent support and additional services like rsync. Since we have an open add-on framework, add-ons are also community created and maintained so there will be many new add-ons available in the future to further extend OpenELEC.
can you still use others that work in XBMClive 10.1?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!
More than 140.000 views on this thread !!!

OpenElec realy needs its own sub-forum. It's how XBMC Live should be!
1.0 Final on the ATV is a joke. Doesnt even get to the Openelec logo on the Apple TV.
The 1.0+ Development build does. But the nouveau drivers are basically more or less non-functional. Making the whole screen jerky and sluggish.
How about a ATV build with nVidia drivers? We can live with analog sound and/or USB sound.
athloni Wrote:More than 140.000 views on this thread !!!

OpenElec realy needs its own sub-forum. It's how XBMC Live should be!

http://www.openelec.tv/forum

The posts here are just to let people know the status ...
  • 65(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC8