• 52(current)
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC
Thanks sraue.
schneidz Wrote:i havent had any luck getting the installer to boot but by and by, any plan to support sshfs ? is there a method of apt-get'ing stuff like sshfs ?

No.
No.

OpenELEC is a bare bones stripped to the core 'appliance'. If you want more than an appliance, you should probably look at live or a bare install of Ubuntu.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
This is truly an amazing distro. You've accomplished what a dedicated HTPC is all about. Act and behave like a "normal" Hifi/video component. This means fast and lean start-ups and no visual of the underlying OS. Congrats!

However, I have some issues (minor and severe) using your latest beta (90.1 and .2) on a Fujitsu Scaleo E (P4/Geforce 210)
  • Sound
(ALC 880 with Geforce 210 HDMI)

From the looks of it, "aplay" was bundled in earlier builds, but it's missing now. In the early stages of TeamXBMC Dharma Live beta releases, the Geforce HDMI was found on device 1 pin 7. Due to remapping using the 04-configNVIDIAasoundrc.sh script (which initially did not include the ALC880 but now does, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ght=ALC880), it now can be found on 1.3.
At first, I wasn’t able to get any sound through HDMI and also couldn’t use aplay to figure it out. After some testing I found HDMI was still using 1.7 on the openelec release. Using an old asound.conf made things right.

• Sleep/Resume
In early TeamXBMC Dharma Live releases, it took ages (well, minutes anyway) for the machine to go to sleep. They fixed it in later versions.

Openelec still has this issue. It takes minutes for the system to go to sleep and when resumed via remote (which works out of the box) the system wakes immediately but it takes minutes before the remote kicks in. Note, this only happens after a few minutes of operation. On a fresh start in the first few minutes, sleeping/resuming works fine.

In the log you'll find two suspend/wake sessions. In both cases I suspended the machine and immediately try to wake it up using the remote. In the second occurence you'll find it takes some 3 minutes for the machine to go to sleep after the command is initiated and also some 3 minutes before the remote starts working after a successful wake.

http://www.pastebin.ca/2038184
  • Add-on(s)
The XOT-uzg3 add-on (from the net.rieter.xot.repository) which mostly streams Dutch video content does not work properly. It doesn't display all content available on the main screen (in contrast on the “normal” Live release) and generates python related errors (see attached log). Also, for this plugin to work smoothly, it needs to overcome the poor streaming capabilities of XBMC (see numerous entries in XBMC’s forum). It should be fixed using the libmms 0.6 (used in maverick). Can you tell me if the library is being used?
  • Cosmetic Errors
You’ve mentioned that the “drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!” would be fixed, but it still there and occurs on various Intel chipsets
  • Driver request
Don’t know if I should post this here on in the openelec.tv forum, but the Scaleo E features a VFD which can be used using the dm140gink driver (placed in /usr/lib/lcdproc), found here: http://members.multiweb.nl/dragonfly/dm140.so 23kb and LCDd.conf entry http://members.multiweb.nl/dragonfly/LCDd.conf

• Other Drivers
Now, I’m really not an expert on Linux Architecture, but can it be made possible to make a user driver directory on the Storage part using symbolic links or something. In this dir (advanced) users can place there own VFD, TV-card, Wlan drivers. Again, don’t know if this is even possible in Linux.
  • Feature Request
The ability to use a webbrowser (mentioned several times, I believe). There may not be a fully integrated browser out there which fully works with a remote, but plenty that work using a keyboard/mouse which can be started ouside XBMC. Please do not add something like Firefox. It looks plain ugly and outdated. Use something like Chromium which has a minimalistic interface
Thumbs Up 
We are happy to release a new beta

Many thanks to all users for testing and contributing.
  • We have fixed remotecontrol repeat times.
  • We have fixed issues with not booting if installing with our installer.

Beta 3 include the following changes:
  • Version tag set to 0.90.3 (Beta 3)

Fixes:
  • installer: write MBR
  • busybox: add upstream patches
  • xbmc: dont install web/poc_jsonrpc/*

Package updates:
  • update to eglibc-2.12-12461
  • update to bluez-4.84
  • update to xf86-video-intel-2.13.903
  • update to eventlircd-41

Added packages and functions:
  • ethtool: rework wakeup handling for WOL devices via udev
  • alsa: move samplefiles in own sample dirs, add samples for ZBOX HD-ID11
  • alsa-utils: install 'aplay' in releases too

Removed packages and functions:
  • remove package 'xwd'
  • remove package 'gettext'

Known issues and limitations
  • Wireless LAN is not guaranteed to work
  • Experimental CrystalHD support added to the Apple TV image, at the moment no support for FullHD content
  • Component Video do not work in the Apple TV image
  • If you use the installer to install on a new drive, be sure there is at least one partition, otherwise the drive will be not detected
  • The Apple TV image is still experimental, even though its called "beta"

If you find more issues let us know in the forum (Bug Reports)

Adding additional drivers
  • If you need an additional driver (esp. WLAN/DVB/Remote) let us know this in our forum (Feature request)

Notes for users already running OpenELEC

we have an update feature. Its disabled by default, so you get only an information about an new update. you can enable the automatic update function if you edit /storage/.config/update.conf or "update.conf" via samba in the "Configfiles" share to.
Code:
AUTOUPDATE="auto"
So the update will be downloaded and extracted correctly after an new boot (or it looks every 6 hours for an update). You will be informed by an Message. After all is downloaded and extracted there is another Message that you can reboot. After this reboot the update will be installed automatically (the system reboots again after a few seconds)
greetings, Stephan

Thank you Stephan. Very interesting. I have used both beta1 and beta2 on an AppleTV with the Crystal HD card. I am only interested in 720p. Beta1 was not useable for that but beta2 was much better ( but still a lot of jerky playback) and the auto update was great. Will you be improving the Cystal HD driver to the level of the current Dharma10 and r17x point?

Philip
I'm having a problem with the OpenELEC Beta 3 installer. It boots fine, but when I select the Quick Install option it doesn't do anything. If I hit some keys and press enter I see a message that says: "parted: invalid token:"

I'm trying to install OpenELEC on a 30GB SSD and the install files are on an 8GB Patriot Xporter flash drive.
Quote:I'm having a problem with the OpenELEC Beta 3 installer. It boots fine, but when I select the Quick Install option it doesn't do anything. If I hit some keys and press enter I see a message that says: "parted: invalid token:"

I'm trying to install OpenELEC on a 30GB SSD and the install files are on an 8GB Patriot Xporter flash drive.

Was there a partition on the disk? If not you need to have one. Doesn't matter what size ect as it will be wiped when openELEC is installed.
thedougster Wrote:Was there a partition on the disk? If not you need to have one. Doesn't matter what size ect as it will be wiped when openELEC is installed.

In both options I would reformat your SSD to EXT3 or EXT4 and see if this solves your problem.
There is a NTFS partition on there. I'll reformat it to ext3.
pennant Wrote:There is a NTFS partition on there. I'll reformat it to ext3.

Can you let us know if it worked?
Just installed Beta 3 on a Zotac ND01 and all I can say is wow!!!

Installed and set up in no more than a few minutes and boot times are just stunning even when running from just a SD card.

This was exactly what I wanted from my set up - thanks Big Grin
Hi,

Does anyone know if OpenElec supports 1366x768 resolutions?

I have a Giada N20 Mini Desktop Media player that OpenElec installed on with no problems. However my TV can only go to 1366x768 and that is not an option in the video settings.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to get 1366c768 to work?

Thanks
Wink 
We are happy to release a new beta

Many thanks to all users for testing and contributing.
  • We have added iPad/iPhone/iPod support.
  • rework of init scripts

Beta 3 include the following changes:
  • Version tag set to 0.90.4 (Beta 4)

Fixes and changes:
  • Updated evmap for Jeyway remote
  • Python: forcing link against system libffi, now ctypes module will work too
  • busybox: only enable USB devices with wakeup script
  • util-linux: dont set swappiness if not needed
  • zlib: dont hardcode libdir, will be hardcoded in pkgconfig files too which is bad if crosscompiling
  • udev: dont run udev monitor twice
  • Mesa: dont build xorg state trackers, rework build script
  • linux: add patch for failed fstrim command
  • linux: add patch for failed xfermode on Pioneer DVR-216D
  • linux: add patch for failed xfermode on Pioneer DVR-212D
  • busybox: add upstream patches
  • nfs-utils: add util-linux as build dependency
  • rework init scripts
  • linux: fix aureal remote quirk patch (thanks much to ismell)
  • usbutils: use more recent usb.ids, update usb.ids
  • pciutils: dont download pci.ids on build, update pci.ids
  • xbmc: add patch to fix xbmc.org ticket #10981
  • projects/*/options: add config option to enable installation of Apple mount support
  • libbluray: dont depend on openssl
  • rtmpdump: change ssl support from openssl to gnutls
  • libssh: change ssl support from openssl to libgcrypt
  • curl: change ssl support from openssl to gnutls
  • xorg-server: change ssl support from openssl to libgcrypt
  • wpa_supplicant: change ssl support from openssl to gnutls

Package updates:
  • update to libX11-1.4.1
  • linux: update nouveau patches
  • update to xf86-video-nouveau-20110111
  • update alternate Mesa to Mesa-20110110
  • update alternative libdrm to libdrm-20101222
  • update to xf86-input-evdev-2.6.0
  • update to libva-1.0.7
  • update to transmission-11666
  • update to libevent-2.0.10-stable
  • update to Mesa-7.10
  • update to libmms-0.6
  • update to util-linux-2.19-rc1
  • update to xf86-video-intel-2.14.0
  • update to xineramaproto-1.2.1
  • update to xf86vidmodeproto-2.3.1
  • update to upower-0.9.8
  • update to linux-2.6.37 (final)
  • update to ntp-4.2.6p3

Added packages and functions:
  • projects/Intel/options: add iwl4965 firmware support
  • create /etc/gitrev and show git rev in ssh splash on development builds
  • linux: add seperate BFS/CK patches instead
  • linux: add BFS Scheduler patch (disabled)
  • add icon and Autorun.inf, thanks to xe`
  • add applet 'fstrim'
  • ifuse: add iPad mount support
  • ifuse: add support for more iPod's and iPhone's
  • add initial udev rule to mount iPhone/iPod on connect
  • add support for Dibcom USB DVB cards
  • add package 'v4l-utils' (initial)
  • add package 'ifuse'
  • add package 'libimobiledevice'
  • add package 'libplist'
  • add package 'libtasn1'
  • add package 'gnutls'
  • add package 'libgcrypt'
  • add package 'libgpg-error'
  • add package 'usbmuxd'

Removed packages and functions:
  • disable SLUB debugging support
  • remove package Mesa-GL
  • remove package pyOpenSSL
  • remove package SABnzbd

Known issues and limitations
  • Wireless LAN is not guaranteed to work
  • Experimental CrystalHD support added to the Apple TV image, at the moment no support for FullHD content
  • Component Video do not work in the Apple TV image
  • If you use the installer to install on a new drive, be sure there is at least one partition, otherwise the drive will be not detected
  • The Apple TV image is still experimental, even though its called "beta"

If you find more issues let us know in the forum (Bug Reports)

Adding additional drivers
  • If you need an additional driver (esp. WLAN/DVB/Remote) let us know this in our forum (Feature request)

Notes for users already running OpenELEC

we have an update feature. Its disabled by default, so you get only an information about an new update. you can enable the automatic update function if you edit /storage/.config/update.conf or "update.conf" via samba in the "Configfiles" share to.
Code:
AUTOUPDATE="auto"
So the update will be downloaded and extracted correctly after an new boot (or it looks every 6 hours for an update). You will be informed by an Message. After all is downloaded and extracted there is another Message that you can reboot. After this reboot the update will be installed automatically (the system reboots again after a few seconds)
greetings, Stephan

GlenTraff Wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know if OpenElec supports 1366x768 resolutions?

I have a Giada N20 Mini Desktop Media player that OpenElec installed on with no problems. However my TV can only go to 1366x768 and that is not an option in the video settings.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to get 1366c768 to work?

Thanks

Hi GlenTraff,

This should work (I think).
Hi,

Just tried the Live install of XBMC and that did have a 1360x768 setting in the video options. Unfortunately I wasn't able to work out how to get the audio working over HDMI to the TV.

So I came back here and saw the responses to this thread and thought I would 0.90.4 Beta 4 a try. I am amazed at how fast and easy it is to get it working. The guys I have done a great job.

The audio problem that I had in XBMC Live is fixed in OpenElec by configuring a asound.conf file and setting audio output to custom with pcm.both.

But unfortunately I am back where I started on the display and I do not have a 1360(1366)x768 resolution in the video settings.

I have 1920x1280 and the next is 1280x720. But it is watchable and I do have sound, so I am happy enough and am watching TV/Movies. I would just like to tweak it to get the correct resolution for the TV.
  • 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC8