Serious bug in 9.11 Alpha2 with gui resolution changin
Sad 
If i change to any other resolution than the default xbmc chooses. It switches to that particular resolution, but in the spin setting line it replaces the chosen resolution to the first lowest available resolution in the database. So in this case next time i run xbmc it starts in an ultra low resolution.
In case of my hd tv it does went into an unavailable mode so that the only way i was able to recover is to ssh the machine and delete .xbmc dir.
I tried it on my laptop also with the same result.

Anyone has this problem ?

I opened a ticket for this with log:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7689

I sense that the problematic change in code was this
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/24470
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
alanwww1 Wrote:If i change to any other resolution than the default xbmc chooses. It switches to that particular resolution, but in the spin setting line it replaces the chosen resolution to the first lowest available resolution in the database. So in this case next time i run xbmc it starts in an ultra low resolution.
In case of my hd tv it does went into an unavailable mode so that the only way i was able to recover is to ssh the machine and delete .xbmc dir.
I tried it on my laptop also with the same result.

Anyone has this problem ?

I opened a ticket for this with log:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7689

I sense that the problematic change in code was this
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/24470

I have noticed something similar today as well. Usually my XBMC box is configured for resolution 1920x1080- 120Hz ... but today I found after upgrade that configuration is suddenly changed to 1920x1080-60hz ... When I tried to put it back to the regular 120Hz my settings always switched back to the lowest possible resolution. However... my TV did not get in to unavailable mode and when I play movies I see that xbmc plays it in 120hz ... 60hz ..or .... basically I see that auto adjustment of the refresh works w/o any issues so far but in any case I think something does not work how it is meant to be.

Regards
K.
I have the same problem.

I have been trying to fix it al evening. I threw away guisettings.xml, and it still happened. I tried editing guisettings.xml, and it just returns to default.

I tried creating advandcedsettings.xml and forcing the correct resolution. That doesnt work.

Trief removing the intire .xbmc dir (see is defaults fix it) still same problem.

Im running alpha 2 on jaunty.

I'm glad i'm not the only one at least Smile
kingaru Wrote:I have noticed something similar today as well. Usually my XBMC box is configured for resolution 1920x1080- 120Hz ... but today I found after upgrade that configuration is suddenly changed to 1920x1080-60hz ... When I tried to put it back to the regular 120Hz my settings always switched back to the lowest possible resolution. However... my TV did not get in to unavailable mode and when I play movies I see that xbmc plays it in 120hz ... 60hz ..or .... basically I see that auto adjustment of the refresh works w/o any issues so far but in any case I think something does not work how it is meant to be.

Regards
K.

Update: It can keep 1920x1080 or any higher resolutions until xbmc is restarted or comes back from suspend , hibernate mode. As soon it is restarted the whole screen is messed up due to low resolution. There is only one way to fix it by changing resolution to the correct one you can play movie (thsi is why I did not notice it at the first place) untill you shutdown the box ... so it looks like xbmc does not save video resolution settings. Besides that it looks like the suspend/restore crash bug is not fixed (( It looks like I need to fail back to 24183 svn until Alpha3 will be released.
Leave it set to the desktop resolution and things are fine.

It will ONLY have a problem if you change it to something other than the desktop resolution.

Why not just change the desktop resolution and be done with it?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

You mean force it in xorg.conf? I usually use the GUI to change resolution because I'd have to plug in a keyboard and change the file in a terminal when I switch TV's.

--I know temporary solution.
because i'm running xbmc on a minimal install with xbmc as my desktop.

If there an option to change it somehow, please tell me.
jmarshall Wrote:Leave it set to the desktop resolution and things are fine.

It will ONLY have a problem if you change it to something other than the desktop resolution.

A lot of users use a minimal install or xbmc live without desktop manager. The other reason is that for example the predefined 1080p50 resolution makes judder for me. Only my defined modelines give perfect judderfree playback.
jmarshall Wrote:Leave it set to the desktop resolution and things are fine.

I don't have any desktops ... I run XBMC only on the system

K.
Currently on all platforms other than Linux XBMC just uses the desktop resolution, so change the desktop res and away it goes.

On Linux we allow changing to arbitrary resolutions (many of which are plain silly, I'm sure you agree Wink, and I agree this certainly makes sense on Live in particular, where there is no "desktop" to set the resolution.

On Live, one presumes there is no need (or desire) for "Windowed" mode either?

Will have a think about how to do things. My current thinking is two settings:

1. The current resolution setting is changed so it is the same across all platforms - it just toggles between screens (and windowed mode if that's available). This setting will also correspond with the "\" toggling that we have now.

2. A separate "Configure this screen" button that allows you to choose the resolution for the current screen.

Sound good?

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:Currently on all platforms other than Linux XBMC just uses the desktop resolution, so change the desktop res and away it goes.

On Linux we allow changing to arbitrary resolutions (many of which are plain silly, I'm sure you agree Wink, and I agree this certainly makes sense on Live in particular, where there is no "desktop" to set the resolution.

On Live, one presumes there is no need (or desire) for "Windowed" mode either?

Will have a think about how to do things. My current thinking is two settings:

1. The current resolution setting is changed so it is the same across all platforms - it just toggles between screens (and windowed mode if that's available). This setting will also correspond with the "\" toggling that we have now.

2. A separate "Configure this screen" button that allows you to choose the resolution for the current screen.

Sound good?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Sounds good bit i don't really understand Huh

It would be simply enough if xbmc would keep the resolution we choose, not goes back to an ultra low resolution.
What about adjust refresh rate ? Does it work this way ?
The problem is we have 3 things to consider:

1. Multiple monitors. You don't want to have to muck about with a spinner filled with 105068 resolutions just to switch to screen 2.
2. Windowed mode.
3. Resolution on each of those monitors.

Thus, my proposed solution. This makes things much nicer. Nice and easy to switch monitors for those with dual screens, and also nice and easy to change the resolution of one of those screens should you require it.

Adjust refresh rate is completely separate, and ofcourse will still function as it does now.

Cheers,
Jonathan

After looking at the code, I see the problem.

I suspect I won't have time to fix it properly as described above (or be able to guarantee that it won't break other stuff) so will fix so at least it saves the resolutions correctly.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Fixed in r24580.

This just ruined my day Sad How do I get my screen to stay at 1280x720@60hz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Serious bug in 9.11 Alpha2 with gui resolution changin0