[LIVE] HOW-TO get BitTorrent download/management via WebUI Guide working on XBMC Live
Krispy101 Wrote:I appear to be having "Permission denied" issues, although I've checked and followed the guide several times, still nothing, my torrents folder is /media/hdd1/Torrents/

**EDIT** Fixed the permission denied error, and I've set up flexget, I just need to now how to automatically add torrents to Transmission, any help guys?

Cheers, Kris

How did you fix this?!
Create a directory where you want all of your downloads to go - I used sftp with filezilla to create:
/home/xbmc/Videos/Downloads

I got everything else but I cannot figure out how to create the directory and I cannot download any torrents because the web ui is telling me there is no such directory as /hom/xbmc/Videos/Downloads... Any help would be much appreciated!! Thank You!
i use transmission on my XBMC Live box using this guide, and it's been great.

I'm also very interested in figuring out how to set up automatic downloading, if anyone has an idiot's guide i'd def be up for following it. i've read tonnes about flexget, TED, uTorrent and others, but don't really understand what i need to install on my XBMC Live box to get it to auto download shows. cheers
Hi!

I dont manage to get the permissions on the folder right. I followed the guide but get permission denied.

when i use ls -la on the specific folder i get

xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ ls -la Downloads
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 2 xbmc debian-transmission 4096 2011-02-09 23:19 .
drwxr-xrw- 15 xbmc xbmc 4096 2011-02-09 23:19 ..

i´ve tried to give everyone permissions with the chmod -a+rw but it dont seems to work either.

Any suggestions?
Quote:I'm playing with deluge instead of transmission atm... Not bad at all. Faster then transmission. Also you can change all settings from WebUI. I like it.

I finally got around to setup TED & torrent download to autostart in Live. I have used deluge since I switched from win since I was struggling to get speed in transmission and deluge was more what I was used to.

I tried transmission as per this guide but I quickly switched to the deluge webui & daemon.
The fact that the transmission daemon does not use the same conf as the gui put me off.

The only con with the deluge daemon is that they didn't bother to include the configuration in the deb config, you have to look it up and manually set it to autostart in rc. Compared to e.g. wicd-daemon where everything is automatically set up for you.
You also have to look up that the default password is "deluge", since the installation guide dont mention that...
Still when that is done, it looks great!
This is awesome! But I am struggling linking Transmission with my uPNP device. I want my downloads to go to a uPNP NAS server. In XBMC I can do this using Samba, is it also possible to somehow let Transmission use my uPNP drive as download directory?
Would anyone like to share what rss feeds they are using for their shows? I've had a similar setup running before with ktorrent auto-downloading new shows from an rss feed but I always end up getting multiple copies of the same show because there are 3 or 4 different torrents for the same show in the feed.

Are there feeds that only list 1 torrent per episode? Or is there some other solution to this problem?
Quote:Would anyone like to share what rss
This is probably not a good idea or I can assume you download legal stuff?

I use TED and works perfect in that respect. I do autostart it in the background but it is not really made to be headless
I do download some legal things Smile, but legal or not isn't really the issue. It could be anything I was trying to dl, not just shows. Say there is a linux distro torrent that I want to download when it becomes available. Then multiple people upload a torrent for that same distro release. How would I go about making sure it only downloaded 1 of those torrents?
I think I can answer my own question after doing some searching, haha. Looks like Flexget is what I'm looking for. I will have to do some playing when I get home.
Can someone who had permission problems and fixed them explain how, please? I've done everything in the guide. All works as it should, but I still get "permission denied" when trying to add torrents.

EDIT: Reformatting my external drive as ext4 (was fat32) and going through this guide again solved it. I bet there's an easier way.

EDIT AGAIN!: Now it's back to not working again.
How do I install Transmission?

This is what I tried -

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get install transmission-daemon
[sudo] password for xbmc:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
transmission-daemon is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 40 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up transmission-daemon (2.05-0ubuntu0.2) ...
* Starting bittorrent daemon transmission-daemon                               invoke-rc.d: initscript transmission-daemon, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing transmission-daemon (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 255
Errors were encountered while processing:
transmission-daemon

Does it no longer work?
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
Yep, struggling like some of you guys, access denied when commencing a torrent.

Have googled around a bit an not having much luck, any other guides around, rtorrent maybe?
Went to set up transmission 2.x using their ppa's. Everything installed perfect but my troubles began changes the user. I edited the transmission-daemon /etc/init.d script and popped in xbmc as user but it refused to launch. I tried all sorts including setting a new config directory using the -g command but no go. After that i purged the init.d script de-installed transmission and re-installed (hoping an updated init.d script would get installed as this one was possibly from an older version). Now i haven't got an init.d script at all and i dont know how to force apt-get or aptitude to re-install it. I tried the one on their website (totally different) but that didnt work very well Sad

Can anyone send me their init.d transmission script so i can at least start from the beginning again ? Would really appreciate it.
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
engstedt Wrote:I dont manage to get the permissions on the folder right. I followed the guide but get permission denied.

when i use ls -la on the specific folder i get

xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ ls -la Downloads
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 2 xbmc debian-transmission 4096 2011-02-09 23:19 .
drwxr-xrw- 15 xbmc xbmc 4096 2011-02-09 23:19 ..

i´ve tried to give everyone permissions with the chmod -a+rw but it dont seems to work either.

Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem here with permissions. I've seen a few other people note a similar problem. Does anyone know how to resolve this? I successfully download torrents but cannot move them unless I log into WinSCP as root because of permission restraints.

I've done chmod 777 on the folder and done as was listed in this guide but cannot get any torrents to download with the correct permissions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO get BitTorrent download/management via WebUI Guide working on XBMC Live2