• 8(current)
[XBOX] 128MB RAM upgrade for the Xbox, is it of any benefits for XBMC?
Gamester17 Wrote:64MB RAM memory upgrade to 128MB RAM memory will not be of much benefit to XBMC during video playback (nor for music with visualization) as XBMC's MPlayer and DVDPlayer cores are not designed to take advantage of the extra the extra memory. (They are however designed to take advanta of a faster 1.4GHz CPU if available).

Wonder why posted that when I just said it would benefit, and even the stuff you quoted said so in more words Smile.

In essence, it doesn't improve playback speeds one single bit. It will however reduce the likelyhood of memory crashes wich are quite frequent if you enable all features in xbmc and play a high res file (xvid ex. as those work fine 720 most of the time). Or just enable noise filter and/or PP (yea i know it's not available from gui).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Smile 
@elupus, since both Msan and Geeba still asked after you explanied it I didn't think futher explaination would hurt Eek
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Ok, I must be stupid, or I just can't read properly..

Gamester17 Wrote:64MB RAM memory upgrade to 128MB RAM memory will not be of much benefit to XBMC during video playback (nor for music with visualization) as XBMC's MPlayer and DVDPlayer cores are not designed to take advantage of the extra the extra memory. (They are however designed to take advanta of a faster 1.4GHz CPU if available).

Will having 128MB of RAM help me with my "running out of memory" messages when XBMC is trying to start an .avi? sort of like this message:

09:02:49 M: 12353536 SEVERE: DLL: Q:\system\players\mplayer\mplayer.dll : malloc failed, crash imminent (Out of memory requesting 16777216 bytes)
09:02:49 M: 12353536 ERROR: cmplayer:penfile() smb://WBROKOW1/RECORDINGS/Movies/Titanic.1997.SCE-SoT.Epic.Edit-DVDRip.XviD.SoT.cd2.avi failed
09:02:49 M: 19054592 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [smb://WBROKOW1/RECORDINGS/Movies/Titanic.1997.SCE-SoT.Epic.Edit-DVDRip.XviD.SoT.cd2.avi]

Note, this is not from me, I just posted that as an example, but I got similar messages quite a few times.

I don't care about HD 720p movies and such, I just need to play normal stuff, but at 1080i, as my TV only handles that and 480p (and I don't want to go down to 480p)
I also don't care if it speeds things up, only if it helps with these out of memory errors.

Please enlighten the "blind" Smile
Good evening ! Smile

Got a simple question.
XBMC is running in 1080i here. but i need to disable skin animations (if not, they are slow)
also i got few "memory issues" sometimes.
If i get a 128Mo xbox, does these problems will be solved ? (good skin animations in 1080i, no more memory issues ...)

TIA !
Great explanation! I did realise that the 128Mb RAM upgrade would be little more than "belt and Braces" A bit like high performance air filters for your car! (car tuning my other interest!) they do pretty much nothing but its icing on the cake!
I was wondering more about the 256k cache processor v's the xbox pewny 128k... I have 3 donner mainboards and a 733mhz 256k cache laptop processor that looks almost bang on identical to the xbox item? (need to get it in bits) I wouldnt attempt the 1.4ghz mod thats way out of my league... to be honest I'm not sure on BIOS problems or weather its even worth it or anything as yet... but I have the SMT station access so will have a go when I have a minute..... I used to repair Cisco/3Com/Shiva Networking kit at board level including processor replacement so I'll have a bash! I have to take things apart! Cars, houses, PC's everything! Nerd
I love my XBMC running PMIII in 1080i but every time the kids want to watch AMT I have to drop down to 720p.
I have sold myself on the idea of a RAM upgrade and will be dusting off my solder station.
Question is;
Where do you get the memory chips?
I have looked around and unless I want to buy 500 or take them from a dead mother board/graphics card, I can't find any.

Does anyone out there have a valid source for the components (a European location would be prefered)?
Thanks,
Jimbo
About 2 years ago I added 64mb more to one of my xbox's.

I got the memory from here:
http://www.xboxrepairguide.com/64mb-memo...p-769.html

but they now appear to be out of stock

If you can't find a source, you can always desolder the chips from a damaged one that you can get on ebay Wink
FYI

I located two sources for the chips. One is Thomas Wuensche (Germany) who is mentioned here http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Upgrading_Xbox_RAM_HOWTO
The other is Perplexer from Xbox-Scene (USA) http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showuser=13361
Hi,

I'm sure this must have been asked before but I cant find the answer int eh forum.

I've been playing quite seriously with XBMC.

I've nearly finished housing the lot in a DVD case and it look pretty good so far.

I've just added RAM to 128mb (from an old MB I have).

To start it wouldn't swith on (red/green flashing) I rechecked all my solder connections and decided to remove and re solder one of the chips.

Everything works fine but XBMC is only reporting 64mb. Should the extra ram be automatically detected?

Thanks
Some pics so far!!!

Cheers
uv101 Wrote:Everything works fine but XBMC is only reporting 64mb. Should the extra ram be automatically detected?
Yes XBMC will detect and display "128MB" as installed RAM if compatible modules are soldered properly.

...but please read the topic thread I moved your post into, the is no real benifit to 128MB RAM.
Thanks for the info.

I've read through the post and most people seem to be talking about trying to run better quality video.

I wanted the extra ram because I can't run slide shows with pics from my 10meg camera at 1080i (crashes trying to load 2nd image) Its all OK at 720.

Will the extra ram help here? I've got about 6 main boards so i'll try another 4 chips if its likely to help.

Many thanks
Question 
Hi all,

has anyone here a modded Xbox with 128MB RAM? I hope, that would solve our out-of-memory-problems, because AEON Stark is the best for our old xboxBig Grin
Please search the rest of the forums for the MANY MANY threads which state why this will not help you.
Wont work at all lol i though the exact as me as you and found out the hard way (bought a new motherboard with 128mb Ram ) it doesn't help as the GPU cant use the extra memory ( Cant see it ) the CPU can but this is not coded into XBMC and wont be as there is no need so don't bother with it.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] 128MB RAM upgrade for the Xbox, is it of any benefits for XBMC?0