• 2(current)
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver?
voyager2 Wrote:I think you just have a bad fan in you unit, its alot more quiet then the old xbox.

The old xbox was noisy and never claimed to be "silent" so that isn't a meaningful comparison. The fan is fine on my unit, just not "silent" as it claims all over the box and the ASRock website. I've just been reading around and everyone says the 1st generation were the same - its the GPU fan that is noisy (whiney) not the external case fan.

The noise isn't "loud" it just isn't anywhere near "silent" and if I'm gonna have a box on in my living room 24/7 then it has to be "silent". My TV is silent, my PVR is silent, and my HTPC needs to be silent.

Quote:The revo has just one core, no hyper trading, no optical out, etc.

The old one maybe, but the Revo 3610 has dual core (same processor as the ASRock 330HT), hyper threading, optical out. And it has a bigger HDD, and memory card slot, and 4GB RAM and comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse. All for £13 more than the ION 330HT.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172708

Admittedly it has no IR port that I can see, but there is no driver for the one on the 330HT either so that's no big loss. It is also debatable whether it has "n" wireless but that isn't an issue to me either as it will sit on a 1Gb ethernet LAN.

RMA request put in. Gonna borrow a 1st gen revo from work and wait for the price to drop on the 3610 then get one.
I replaced the fans in my ASRock. Cost like 15 euros and it's dead silent now.
ASRock ION 330, Lucid Lynx, XBMC Dharma (beta 2)
jonassw Wrote:I replaced the fans in my ASRock. Cost like 15 euros and it's dead silent now.

What fans did you use? The internal GPU fan is 30mm from what I read and it's tough to find a silent 30mm fan.
I don't know about you, but I think this fan thing is getting a little offtopic! WLAN works for me too now btw, as does sound over HDMI.

About the IR, it really is present, as you can see when you open te box. There's cable running from the IR led on the front to the pci thingy in the box. Also, the box does have some unrecognised hardware under linux and it does indeed work under Windows. But thats not the point here. A collegue of mine pointed out the driver could be the winbond one you can select when configuring Lirc, but that doesn't seem to work either. (There's a post about that on here.

I also tried to compile lirc 0.8.6 myself, and not using the Ubuntu packaged version, I got a little further with that, but no luck also. I think the Winbond WPC876xL driver is not the one to go with...

I think I'm going to mail Asrock today too, but has anyone gotten any further with Lirc, zilence? Robby?
I emailed asrock yesterday also, would be a shame to either have to buy a reciever or go with Windows 7 because of this.

As for the fan noise mine is fine, it's about SKY+ box levels / xbox 1 levels, nowhere near as noisy as a Xbox 360 or PS3. As the earlier poster said you can always replace the fan.

Keeping on topic though l'll post asrock's response when i get it.
I posted a review on tweakers.net also (in Dutch). Perhaps there might be some usefull comments posted regarding the IR receiver...
I've posted a topic on AVFORUMS fishing for more information:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cine...-only.html

This is a major let down, the integration IR reciever for me is one of the stand out features of the Asrock that separates it from other nettops like the new Acer Revo. I could have got the new Acer Revo R3610 for about £15 more and that comes with 4gb of RAM 500gb HD an Windows 7! (sans remote)
therealdude Wrote:I don't know about you, but I think this fan thing is getting a little offtopic! WLAN works for me too now btw, as does sound over HDMI.

Yes, apologies for that! This is the only place I've found other ION 330HT owners who are running Linux so it seemed a good opportunity to ask!

Quote:About the IR, it really is present, as you can see when you open te box. There's cable running from the IR led on the front to the pci thingy in the box. Also, the box does have some unrecognised hardware under linux and it does indeed work under Windows. But thats not the point here. A collegue of mine pointed out the driver could be the winbond one you can select when configuring Lirc, but that doesn't seem to work either. (There's a post about that on here.

I also tried to compile lirc 0.8.6 myself, and not using the Ubuntu packaged version, I got a little further with that, but no luck also. I think the Winbond WPC876xL driver is not the one to go with...

You're misunderstanding here. This is not an LIRC problem, this is a problem that the IR chipset used in the device does not even show up in Linux. There is no mention of it in lsusb or lspci from what I can see, and nothing in dmesg about it.

What should happen (in a simplified sense) is that the device should be detected at boot time and a kernel module should then be assigned to control it (this is the "driver"). With an IR module this would normally mean that the device then becomes available somewhere in /dev/ (normally /dev/input/something or /dev/lirc0). This isn't happening and we need to find why not.

I don't have this box anymore so I can't find more info, but can any of you give me a full listing of /dev/? I am particularly interested in whether there is any /dev/tty* devices listed?

Also, I am beginning to suspect that this IR receiver is a serial device, so can anyone try "modprobe lirc_serial" and post the output of that?

Chris
I'll have a go tonight when I get back from work, what command do I need to run to list the contents of Dev? sorry I'm a newcomer to linux.
As I don't have a chance of using the box tonight... Just type
Code:
ls /dev
or
Code:
ls -l /dev

But, I can tell you right now, there are several tty(S)*'s in /dev (don't know how many right now). Don't know about the modprobe though, haven't tried that...

Edit:

@BlueC, seems I did misunderstood, sorry for that. Also, I'm not that experienced with the linux driver scene, so I thought Lirc was the way to go in this case...
Sorry off topic, but where did you find the ion 330HT for sale? I can't find it anywhere.
Well, for me (in the Netherlands), you can get it at these shops
brookz Wrote:Sorry off topic, but where did you find the ion 330HT for sale? I can't find it anywhere.

In the UK Scan have them in stock. http://www.scan.co.uk
scan UK have them in stock.

On a side note, we could possibly never get a linux driver for this.

What external reciever & remote controller could I use with linux is it just the offical Microsoft MCE Controller?
this is all the tty*-devices in /dev

Code:
tty
tty0
tty1
tty10
tty11
tty12
tty13
tty14
tty15
tty16
tty17
tty18
tty19
tty2
tty20
tty21
tty22
tty23
tty24
tty25
tty26
tty27
tty28
tty29
tty3
tty30
tty31
tty32
tty33
tty34
tty35
tty36
tty37
tty38
tty39
tty4
tty40
tty41
tty42
tty43
tty44
tty45
tty46
tty47
tty48
tty49
tty5
tty50
tty51
tty52
tty53
tty54
tty55
tty56
tty57
tty58
tty59
tty6
tty60
tty61
tty62
tty63
tty7
tty8
tty9
ttyS0
ttyS1
ttyS2
ttyS3

and if I do some modprobe, I get this result

Code:
root@asrock:/dev# modprobe lirc_serial
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/lirc-blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
root@asrock:/dev#

the bottom of my dmesg now says

Code:
[93191.409817] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[93192.328025] lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
[93192.328037] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
[93192.328190] lirc_serial $Revision: 5.104 $ registered

trying some irw-tricks

Code:
root@asrock:~# irw
connect: No such file or directory
  • 2(current)