• 4(current)
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver?
I just bought an ASRock ION 330HT, and discovered that the remote control is not working (using XBMC Live based on 9.11 alpha 2). I was a little unsure if it was something I did wrong, but reading this thread it becomes apparent that this is a general problem. As I can see it, there are 3 options:

1. Wait for the vendor to release a linux driver.
2. Use windows instead
3. Buy a separate USB IR receiver and use this instead.

Option 1 is really only an option if a driver is right around the corner and so far we do not have any information that will support this.

Option 2 is in my opinion not a good solution until the porting from OpenGL to DirectX is completed since hardware acceleration is only supported on linux at the moment.

Option 3 is probably the one I will go for, since a new usb IR receiver is not that expensive. Can anyone please recommend a usb IR receiver that is compatible with XBMC Live and MCE (so that I can use one of my 3 MCE remotes...)??
astensland Wrote:...

Option 3 is probably the one I will go for, since a new usb IR receiver is not that expensive. Can anyone please recommend a usb IR receiver that is compatible with XBMC Live and MCE (so that I can use one of my 3 MCE remotes...)??

I'm using Philips OVU412000 USB IR Remote Receiver with ASROCK ION 330 with + Logitech harmony RC from day one and it works out of the box with default lirc support. The receiver cost me only 15 euros.

Regards
K
Got this response from Asrock, seems to be pretty much the same response as previously posted:

Hello,

We have more requests coming in for this issue. I have asked our HQ in Taiwan to contact the IR controller manufacturer and check if they can provide or create drivers. The IR controller is a Nuvoton W836x7HG.

If you know some skilled Linux programmers that can write drivers, then I can try to bring them in contact with Nuvoton, in case they need any help with that. Please do not put my mail address on some forum, but ask those programmers to contact us via the form on our website that you have also used, using UK or Netherlands as Country. Or you can make the contact. I want to do everything I can to get you and the other Linux users suitable drivers.

It might help if more people also contact Nuvoton directly to ask for such drivers.

Best regards,
ASRock Support

http://www.asrock.com/support/tsd.asp
Request Linux drivers here: [email protected]
maximus.cc64 Wrote:request linux drivers here: [email protected]

done!!!
astensland Wrote:done!!!

me too
Guys what do you use to replace the fan
nikiiv Wrote:Guys what do you use to replace the fan

I've bought a Fractal Design 50mm Silent Series Cooling Case Fan

There was post somewhere on silentpc forums about someone fitting it on the ion330 with success.

The main culprit of the noise though seems to be the 30mm CPU fan. Unfortunately I don't think there is such thing as a quiet 30mm fan. I've bought a fanmate 2 which i'll hook it up to, someone reported some success with it on ion330 it'll raise the temps a bit, but these CPU's can run quite happily at 85C.

Although the fan noise is more than I'd ideally like it's still not as bad as a 1st gen PS3 or XBOX 360.
scoopy2scoops Wrote:I shutdown my Asrock last night from ubuntu and this morning when I switched on the TV it was on really loud, so I turned my Samsung TV down. Strangly my Asrock turned itself on!

I've checked it again and it definately isn't a fluke

Hi, i had the same Problem! I located the problem with my wireless MSI Keyboard with USB Receiver. After turning on my LG TV with built in Bluetooth the Asrock waked every few minutes while the TV is on. I resolved that issue by moving the Asrock 30cm away.

This never happend to my MSI Media Live, although i was Able to wake up my MSI MEdia Live with Keypress. I can't wake up the Asrock by Keypress (but by turning on my TV lol)

But i have another problem with the power button: I can't go in supend or hibernate when pressing the powerbutton regardless which setting i have activated in XBMC it always powers down.
Choosing suspend when Powering off XBMC works indeed.

Any suggestions?
Hi there,

Has anyone tried the lirc_sir module?

According to an earlier post, the ASRock is equipped with the W83627HF chip.

Here http://www.almico.com/foruminfo.php?id=353
It is stated that the ir can be accessed via the uart:

'W83627HF provides two high-speed serial communication ports (UARTs), one of which supports serial Infrared communication.'

The documentation of that chip (http://www.isd.com/NR/rdonlyres/B066C916...F_HGAW.pdf)
also states something like that.

So one would need to something like this (second serial port):
setserial /dev/ttyS1 none
modprobe lirc_dev
modprobe lirc_sir io=0x2f8 irq=3

I don't have an ASRock (yet) so I can't test it myself.
Albert031 Wrote:setserial /dev/ttyS1 none
modprobe lirc_dev
modprobe lirc_sir io=0x2f8 irq=3

I now tried

Code:
root@asrock:~# setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none
root@asrock:~# modprobe lirc_dev
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/lirc-blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
root@asrock:~# modprobe lirc_sir io=0x2f8 irq=3
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/lirc-blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
root@asrock:~# dmesg |tail -n 5
[   23.116041] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
[   46.174873] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[   51.739788] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
[   51.739909] lirc_sir: I/O port 0x02f8, IRQ 3.
[   51.739928] lirc_sir: Installed.
root@asrock:~# irw
connect: No such file or directory
root@asrock:~# irw /dev/lirc0
connect: Connection refused
root@asrock:~# irw /dev/ttyS1
connect: Connection refused

Any more tips? Smile
For irw to work, lircd daemon needs to be started
/etc/init.d/lirc start

But now you can better use mode2, it shows raw signals directly from the modules:
mode2 -d /dev/lirc0
Code:
root@asrock:~# /etc/init.d/lirc restart
root@asrock:~# mode2 -d /dev/lirc0

No response when I use the remote..
Hmm..
lirc modules sometimes bind to /dev/lirc1..

can you also try
/etc/init.d/lirc stop
mode2 -d /dev/lirc1
no such device Smile lirc0 is the only one in /dev
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver?1